5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Considering a Switch to Ram

jorballs

Reaction score
Greetings all,

Been lurking around a bit lately, contemplating a switch over to a Ram 1500. Figured it was time to start asking some questions to see if anyone wanted to chime in with their thoughts, opinions, experiences, etc. I will of course continue to search the forum for more info on my questions as well, of course.

Background- Located in smallish central MN. Currently in a 2017 Sierra 1500 SLT Premium Plus package, dark slate metallic, 6.2L, otherwise loaded. Love the aesthetic of the truck, drives well, does what I need it to do, single owner, new off the lot in 2017, just ticked over 35k miles. Got a real sweet deal on it, sticker around 57 and drove it away for significantly less than that. Recently been having some transmission issues (altogether minor and warranty corrections but annoying at any rate) and thinking that in addition to this, it just may be about time for me to treat myself a wee bit. I recently test drove a relatively loaded Laramie for the fun of it and I was really blown away by the interior and the overall esthetic of the trucks. On top of that, I don't like where GM has gone with some of their stuff which is what has me contemplating the switch. I also feel that now is a nice time to jump the used trade-in market. I feel like I could potentially get out of the Sierra for not a whole bunch less than what I paid for it 3 years ago.

What I feel I'm looking for- '21 Laramie, 4x4, 6'4 box (looks better and like to have the extra box space), Night edition, 5.7 Hemi/eTorque/EcoD, either billet silver or granite crystal, bed utility, advanced safety, gears? (unsure), laramie level 2, wheelhouse liners, locking rear, what else did I forget?

Questions I have, feedback welcomed and like I said I will continue to browse and search around but I appreciate everyones input-
Anyone care to speak to the issues/lack of issues in regards to the 12 inch display? What have the problems been? Is there a fix? The screen was intriguing and borderline disorientating so I'm interested to hear from folks here.
I've heard of some leaking issues with the sunroof and am aware of the drain problem thread. Any other issues people have noticed here? I love letting the daylight into the cab especially if things are tinted correctly so this is one thing I'm looking for currently.
Gears? I have a very basic understanding and I am more than willing to take knowledge from someone here on what to do. I live on a rural highway, 10 mins to work, 10 mins back, some small town city driving, spastic long-range highway/interstate travel.
And the big one- Hemi vs. eTorque Hemi vs. EcoD: I was impressed with the Hemi power and for 200 bucks the etorque seems like a no-brainer. What do we all say on eTorque vs. regular Hemi? Also, contemplating the EcoD but I know it's a newish technology, so what are the major issues vs. pros here? I've heard the short drive argument but didn't know if it would be as valid as it would be like with the big cummins. I don't do a ton of pulling as of right now, but that could change in the not so distant future (duck boat, camper, various small-medium duty trailering). Love the diesel sound and pulling prowess but not at the cost of engine issues. Very curious to see a discussion on this.

I realize this is a longwinded post, but I'm the kinda guy who likes to do my research before doing something like this, so I'm glad I found the forum and hope to get some valuable insight from those of you already in the thick of it. If you would like any additional information about my situation, feel free to reach out.

Thanks in advance!

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Your forget the 33 gallon tank.

I don't think they've quite figured out what is wrong with the 12" screen yet. Still lots of complaints in the forums about it.

I personally dislike sunroofs. They add a lot of potential leaks and several pounds of weight. My wife's last three cars have had sunroofs and we have opened them all a grand total of maybe a dozen times in as many years. But it's your truck.

Gearing: there are several lengthy threads on that topic. The search function can lead you to the fights.

eTorque versus not is personal preference at this point. I was wary because it was still new when I bought mine. Seems like they didn't have a lot of teething problems with it after all. I'm not sure how much it would help you in your driving patterns. I spend a lot of time sitting at red lights, watching the average mpg drop several tenths during the cycle, so it would help me a lot. But I live in greater Los Angeles and you don't. If I was ordering, I'd get it. If I was buying off the lot it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

As for pulling a trailer, spend some time in the trailering subforum. You'll quickly discover that despite the claims, in reality, you can't pull nearly as much trailer as maybe you'd like to. All the options - running boards, sunroof, vented seats -- add to the unladen weight and reduce the load capacity. To go max capacity, you need the lower gears which could hurt your normal driving economy. If it's just dreaming, and not in your long term plans, don't buy with an eye to pulling a huge trailer.

brettguercio

Reaction score
Please make sure when test driving it u go 70 plus mph and make sure it dosnt have the vibration issue

emings

Reaction score
First, I have the 26gal tank in mine and can typically go 320 miles before it starts telling me to fill up again. So far im averaging 16mpg but i do mostly in town driving. I would consider a 23 gallon tank a non-starter. Youll be fine with a 26 gallon tank but try to find one with a 33 gallon tank youll save time filling up constantly.

I have the 12 inch screen in my pickup and have had zero issues with it whatsoever.

When i picked up my truck the 1st thing I looked for was one without a sunroof. Ive had two family members and several friends who have had issues with sunroofs to the point where im out on them altogether.

As far as gear ratios go with the 3.92 if you're towing or plan to get a lift. My truck has the 3.21 which is fine for me because i don't tow anything and no plans to do a lift on the truck.

For me i HATE auto/stop start thats what made the etorque system a no-go for me. I think the best advice with this would be to go test drive one and see what you think.

Mike7311

Reaction score
3.92 and locking or anti slip diff can’t go wrong. As mentioned, 33 gallon tank. The protection package is a good value.

Peppy

Reaction score
Hey there, I just made the switch from chevy to Ram, though mine was an 07 that I rode hard and put away wet. A lot of people had trouble with that generation, but mine was good to me. Family outgrew the extended cab though.

I went with a laramie crew with the 6'4" bed and an etorque motor. If you're worried about the start stop thing, you don't really notice it unless you're looking for it.

This trucks roomy, and comfortable so far, but it is brand new so it damn well better be. I liked this one because it didn't have a lot of fluff, its got the 8.4 screen and the 9 speaker sound system which is good enough for me. There's a lot of cool tech for me, coming from an 07 even without getting all the frills. It rides like a dream too, again compared to a z71, with new shocks and springs in the rear just last year.

Also, supposedly they fixed the old hemi tick in this generation?

Hoping all the reviews and ram loyalty people have had in the last few years is worth it.

Zig10

Reaction score
I came out of a GMC to the Ram, and also own a Ford Expedition so I looked hard at the F150 as well. Like you mentioned, after you sit in the Ram the other ones just don't put up much of a fight, and the ride wasn't even close either.

I personally was looking for an uplevel Laramie, but couldn't find one with all of the options I wanted. The Limited I picked up was a fair bit less than the Laramie I priced out on the website so I grabbed it.

The 12" screen has been fine for me, but I would definitely prefer buttons for things like heated/cooled seats, etc. It is not disorienting at all, and actually is pretty nice when you configure it to your personal liking. Only hiccup I have is when I try to disconnect my phone during a call, but overall, it's miles better than the interface was in my '16 GMC.

I like the Hemi / etorque combo, and it tows very, very well. The start/stop is the only one I have ever left on in my last 4 vehicles that were equipped with it. Pretty seemless.

If I could ditch anything it would be the sunroof because I rarely use it, and it takes a chunk out of the payload.

So far I haven't been disappointed with my hop to Ram. Hopefully it stays that way.

Good luck with your decision.

Toolbox

Reaction score
I was in a similar situation with a 2014 Silverado LTZ which I bought used in 2017. Had about 80k miles and had some issues with paint chipping and the front transfer case. Figured it was time to trade it in. I actually used Carvana and only lost about 3k and the process was great. Just something to think about.

I picked up a 2019 rebel and so far I am very happy. But I don’t have a need to tow. I agree the interiors of these trucks are awesome compared to the gmc/Chevy line up. I did sit in a 2020 Silverado and it felt like a rental car lol.

Good luck.

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As you saw already the interior is first rate. I also think you will also notice a big improvement in the ride over the Chevy. I would avoid e torque (too new and issues) and I should mention i have the 8 inch screen not the 12 and no issues but you may not have a choice based on the package you want. Don't be afraid to buy one of these trucks. As much as you see people complaining here the large majority are super happy with these trucks. I would buy my truck again without regret.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Greetings all,

Been lurking around a bit lately, contemplating a switch over to a Ram 1500. Figured it was time to start asking some questions to see if anyone wanted to chime in with their thoughts, opinions, experiences, etc. I will of course continue to search the forum for more info on my questions as well, of course.

Background- Located in smallish central MN. Currently in a 2017 Sierra 1500 SLT Premium Plus package, dark slate metallic, 6.2L, otherwise loaded. Love the aesthetic of the truck, drives well, does what I need it to do, single owner, new off the lot in 2017, just ticked over 35k miles. Got a real sweet deal on it, sticker around 57 and drove it away for significantly less than that. Recently been having some transmission issues (altogether minor and warranty corrections but annoying at any rate) and thinking that in addition to this, it just may be about time for me to treat myself a wee bit. I recently test drove a relatively loaded Laramie for the fun of it and I was really blown away by the interior and the overall esthetic of the trucks. On top of that, I don't like where GM has gone with some of their stuff which is what has me contemplating the switch. I also feel that now is a nice time to jump the used trade-in market. I feel like I could potentially get out of the Sierra for not a whole bunch less than what I paid for it 3 years ago.

What I feel I'm looking for- '21 Laramie, 4x4, 6'4 box (looks better and like to have the extra box space), Night edition, 5.7 Hemi/eTorque/EcoD, either billet silver or granite crystal, bed utility, advanced safety, gears? (unsure), laramie level 2, wheelhouse liners, locking rear, what else did I forget?

Questions I have, feedback welcomed and like I said I will continue to browse and search around but I appreciate everyones input-
Anyone care to speak to the issues/lack of issues in regards to the 12 inch display? What have the problems been? Is there a fix? The screen was intriguing and borderline disorientating so I'm interested to hear from folks here.
I've heard of some leaking issues with the sunroof and am aware of the drain problem thread. Any other issues people have noticed here? I love letting the daylight into the cab especially if things are tinted correctly so this is one thing I'm looking for currently.
Gears? I have a very basic understanding and I am more than willing to take knowledge from someone here on what to do. I live on a rural highway, 10 mins to work, 10 mins back, some small town city driving, spastic long-range highway/interstate travel.
And the big one- Hemi vs. eTorque Hemi vs. EcoD: I was impressed with the Hemi power and for 200 bucks the etorque seems like a no-brainer. What do we all say on eTorque vs. regular Hemi? Also, contemplating the EcoD but I know it's a newish technology, so what are the major issues vs. pros here? I've heard the short drive argument but didn't know if it would be as valid as it would be like with the big cummins. I don't do a ton of pulling as of right now, but that could change in the not so distant future (duck boat, camper, various small-medium duty trailering). Love the diesel sound and pulling prowess but not at the cost of engine issues. Very curious to see a discussion on this.

I realize this is a longwinded post, but I'm the kinda guy who likes to do my research before doing something like this, so I'm glad I found the forum and hope to get some valuable insight from those of you already in the thick of it. If you would like any additional information about my situation, feel free to reach out.

Thanks in advance!
If you have a 10 minute commute, very limited hauling and towing...I would recommend against the Ecodiesel. It's a good engine but without putting it to work...you'd be better off with the Hemi if you still want power. My Hemi Etorque gets me around 25mpg average highway and a full tanks last just over 400 miles easy. I have noticed that more people complain about the luxery trims and have problems with them over all other trims...so just be mindful of that. Very few people have issues with the Bighorns, rebels, warlocks or even the tradesman. If you like the luxery style trim...I'd check out the Bighorn with Level 2 or 3 (if there's a 3 lol). I won't say that RAM is the best truck in the world...but I will say it's the best truck I've owned so far. The only thing that would stop me from buying another one is that if Nissan Titan continues to have the best warranty in the truck market :p

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was in a similar situation with a 2014 Silverado LTZ which I bought used in 2017. Had about 80k miles and had some issues with paint chipping and the front transfer case. Figured it was time to trade it in. I actually used Carvana and only lost about 3k and the process was great. Just something to think about.

I picked up a 2019 rebel and so far I am very happy. But I don’t have a need to tow. I agree the interiors of these trucks are awesome compared to the gmc/Chevy line up. I did sit in a 2020 Silverado and it felt like a rental car lol.

Good luck.
Funny you mention that...I was ready to buy a 2020 trailboss....until I sat in it lol.

The_Dude

Reaction score
I have a 2019 longhorn with no issues. No sunroof and have the 8.4 inch screen. I have the etorque hemi and really like it, you can't tell when the system operates as it's super smooth. If you read up on the eco diesel, it seems solid but has some problems with oil leaks and if you don't drive it long distances the emission systems could give you trouble.

ClancyO

Reaction score
I tend to buy for the long haul. The truck before my 5th gen was an 04. I intentionally avoided the etorque, 12 inch, and driver aid stuff because I don’t want that stuff when the warranty runs out. But if you don’t plan on keeping it that long, then go for it. The hemi is proven (ditto gm’s LS series), the coil spring rear and interior won me over. If you’re not gonna tow more the 5-6k, 3.21 is ok, if you’re gonna get closer to limits then definitely 3.92.

And I totally agree on the 6’4.” Not only does it look better, it’s more usable as a truck. A crew cab pickup is stupid long to begin with, the only time that extra 9” is a problem is when it’s not there (or you absolutely MUST park it in your too short garage)

jorballs

Reaction score
Thank you all for the input to this point. It's clear I have some thinking to do, but your insights and opinions have helped me thus far.

At this point, I feel I'm willing to take the "risk" on the sunroof because that is a vanity item that I like having. I don't necessarily have it vented all that often, but I love having the top pulled back and letting the sun in on my current Sierra, so at this point I would take it, especially with proper tinting done.

I think my bias to the Eco is because a colleague of mine formerly had one of the earlier generations and he swore by it. Said it pulled anything and everything and that the only reason they got rid of it is because his wife's rig crapped out so sacrifices were made.. :ROFLMAO: In addition to that, I love the diesel sound, but after looking into it more and factoring in turbo lag, increased maintenance costs, possible leaks, added weight, I think I'm out on that option for now. So the debate shifts more intimately to Hemi vs. eTorque Hemi.. research will continue here.

For gears, I will continue to pour over forum but at this point I think 3.92 sounds the way to go.

As far as locking rear, anti-slip, etc., what is the best way to go? Do I try and find it as a standalone option or consider placing an order? TBH even though I do some field driving for hunting and stuff like that, I don't do a bunch of off-roading per say, so the ORG juice doesn't seem worth the squeeze given the weight addition and possible drawbacks to towing and payload. Am I on to something here?

Appreciate all the feedback to this point and I look forward to hearing more opinions.

Thanks guys!

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you all for the input to this point. It's clear I have some thinking to do, but your insights and opinions have helped me thus far.

At this point, I feel I'm willing to take the "risk" on the sunroof because that is a vanity item that I like having. I don't necessarily have it vented all that often, but I love having the top pulled back and letting the sun in on my current Sierra, so at this point I would take it, especially with proper tinting done.

I think my bias to the Eco is because a colleague of mine formerly had one of the earlier generations and he swore by it. Said it pulled anything and everything and that the only reason they got rid of it is because his wife's rig crapped out so sacrifices were made.. :ROFLMAO: In addition to that, I love the diesel sound, but after looking into it more and factoring in turbo lag, increased maintenance costs, possible leaks, added weight, I think I'm out on that option for now. So the debate shifts more intimately to Hemi vs. eTorque Hemi.. research will continue here.

For gears, I will continue to pour over forum but at this point I think 3.92 sounds the way to go.

As far as locking rear, anti-slip, etc., what is the best way to go? Do I try and find it as a standalone option or consider placing an order? TBH even though I do some field driving for hunting and stuff like that, I don't do a bunch of off-roading per say, so the ORG juice doesn't seem worth the squeeze given the weight addition and possible drawbacks to towing and payload. Am I on to something here?

Appreciate all the feedback to this point and I look forward to hearing more opinions.

Thanks guys!
If you're not into any off roading then the anti-slip differential is your best bet...unless you can get a locking rear for the same price. Personally...I'd rather have a locking one over an anti-slip just to have in case I need it. But either will be fine if you're not rock crawling lol

ecke555

Reaction score
Coming from a 2015 Chevrolet Silverado Crew Cab 4x4. I love my new Ram 1500 Built to Serve. Their are only two things that I miss coming over to a Ram Truck, the corner step bumper and oil filter location on the hemi v8, other wise super happy with the truck. The interior on the Ram is way nicer than my old Chevrolet truck and even the 2020 trucks.

drbobvs

Reaction score
I have what is basically, a fully loaded Longhorn so its easier for me to tell you what I WOULDN'T get if I had to do it over again.

1. Would not get the E-torque motor: I actually get 2-4 mpg LESS overall than my 2014 Laramie. So, in my experience ,its adds nothing to the MPG or driving experience and adds a host of complexity.
2. Would not get the 3.92 axle. I don't tow anything more than a 2 place snowmobile trailer 1-2 times per year, that weights maybe 3000 Lbs loaded and I travel across 3 states at least once a month year round. At 70 MPH I'm running 2000 rpm so mileage and noise suffers.
3. I purposely did NOT get the tow mirrors. I have them on my 2014, they create wind noise and they don't electrically fold in, a feature that I often use when I travel on ferries.

Every other option/package I have I really love and enjoy the features. I have had NO issues with the 12" screen, air suspension, panoramic roof, power running boards,HVAC or any other creature comfort. Just turning 30K miles so far. Hope this helps.

Brad460

Reaction score
Came from Tundra, spent many miles in Chevys (up to 2018) and they are turds, test drove 2019 Chevys, F150s...

Ram hands down best truck on the road today..

This coming from someone who swore I’d never ever buy a Dodge product ...ever never...Thankfully my neighbor (owns local Dodge dealer) convinced me to drive one.

dearchristopher

Reaction score
i bought a 2020 lonestar with eTorque and 3.21 gear. ORP with rear locker. in 4wd auto, i can get around 21-22mpg on a flat texas highway if i stay around 68-70 mph. i am very pleased with the etorque system, even with the fuel tank size i have i still use less fuel per week than my 2017.

that being said....STAY AWAY from the 23gal fuel tank. it is going to be a pain in my *** when i’m towing and i sincerely wish i would have paid more attention when buying.

overall, the 5th gen is cherry. i love the power over the 4th gen, and notice that the truck overall feels more powerful. shift points are the best they’ve been in the 8speed. i love the drivability.

7ac4e47cb8e6d5711fd79ec8bd894f46.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread