5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Considering a Rebel over an F150 Tremor

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm debating between either buying a new Rebel or F150 Tremor. Some concerns I have about the Tremor; the 10-speed transmission. They apparently have a bad "gear hunting" issue and sometimes clunk pretty badly into gear. Also, underbody rust, especially the rear diff. For the Rebel, my main concen would be the complication of the eTorque system, body rust, and resale value. Both trucks have their advantages. I know the 8-speed ZF transmission is great, and the suspension is better on the Rebel, but on the other hand, the Tremor has gobs of power from the 3.5L engine and its a bit cheaper. What are yalls thoughts on the Rebel?

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I shopped Ram, Nissan, Ford and Toyota in that order. I think the Rebel is the best looking non-TRX truck available, but that's just my opinion. As far as ride and interior comfort/ergonomics the Ram was the clear winner for me. Plus, I'm just not a fan of turbos on my daily, and love the sound of a V8.

Back in February when I bought, Nissan and Ram were willing to deal. Toyota and Ford didn't really want to talk.

Rebel2022

Reaction score
I think I’d be more worried about the complication of the ecoboost than the etorque. Just read on TFL truck F-150 is leading the way on price increases for 2023 models. Drive em both, buy the one you feel is best.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
As the owner of a Rebel, I simply think it's the best looking inside and out and superior ride quality. I still consider myself a Ford guy, had a 2015 F150 2.7L Ecoboost prior, which was a great truck.

I've had no issues with either model, though my F150 didn't have the 10 speed. I will say even my 2.7L Eco felt faster/stronger than my Hemi, but it sounded like a Honda Accord. I'm actually fond of Accords, but would like my truck to sound like a truck. My aftermarket muffler and that Hemi sound gives my truck a sense of occasion every single time I drive it.

My truck was also a Jan 2019 build, and has a buttery smooth drivetrain, I get compliments all the time how smoothly my truck rides, shifts and overall drives, even with the big 33" factory all-terrains.

But in the end, if you can actually find an F150 on the lot to test drive, I would do that along with testing a Rebel, see which one you like best. Then find out the discounts you can get, the RAM is likely to have better discounts tacked on right now than a F150 (which is still having production limit issues) Factor in your driving impressions and the purchase price difference, and then choose the best compromise.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
FWIW, there's an HD Rebel out. Slightly less capability than a Power Wagon, but higher tow/payload and the interior is mostly a Limited. Has a rear locker and available factory winch (or AUX Switches - but not both). Since the HD crowd can no longer get a a Hemi in the Longhorn or Limited, it's the closest you can get. The 8HPZF behind the Hemi simply can't be beat in that class.

n8zcc

Reaction score
Ignoring everything about looks, performance, etc., I would stay away from Ford until they get control over their quality. Right now, Ford is running almost twice the industry standard of per-vehicle warranty costs. Ford recently hired a new VP to oversee quality and to try and reduce the per-vehicle warranty costs.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ignoring everything about looks, performance, etc., I would stay away from Ford until they get control over their quality. Right now, Ford is running almost twice the industry standard of per-vehicle warranty costs. Ford recently hired a new VP to oversee quality and to try and reduce the per-vehicle warranty costs.
To add to this, Ford set aside $1 billion for warranty repairs in 2023. They recognize there’s a large problem with QC. Stellantis’ numbers haven’t been released yet.

The e-torque system is not complicated. I’d venture a guess that aftermarket will come out with an e-torque delete in the future, just like they have a mechanical MDS delete kit. That’s much less of an issue than the Ford 3.5 ecoboost cam phaser issues anyway.

HARDWATERFLYER

Reaction score
FYI The 2023 Tremor F150 is available with the 5.0L Coyote V-8. Check it out on Ford's Build&Price.

Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses. Yes, Ford quality control is a huge issue right now. And many of the 2023 models are also having features deleted, such as heated rear mirrors and heated steering wheels.

Regarding this gen of RAM in general, are they prone to any rust issues like previous generations?

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses. Yes, Ford quality control is a huge issue right now. And many of the 2023 models are also having features deleted, such as heated rear mirrors and heated steering wheels.

Regarding this gen of RAM in general, are they prone to any rust issues like previous generations?
Little early in the life cycle of these trucks to make a call.

n8zcc

Reaction score
I had a 2013 1500 Laramie and still own a 2015 3500. I traded the 2013 in on a 2022 and at trade, the truck showed no signs of rust. This truck lived in the Michigan climate and salted winter roads with 90K on the odo.

monza2t

Reaction score
For the Rebel, my main concen would be the complication of the eTorque system,

eTorque is not a complicated system, nothing near as complicated as twin turbos with variable timing on 4 independent cam shafts. eTorque is just a giant 48V alternator that can run as a motor and a battery pack with the power conversion equipment built into it. The whole thing is covered under the 8yr emissions warranty if thats what worries you.

And BTW, the 3.5 EB and 5.0 Coyote both have start-stop systems also.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you're really worried about e-torque (I chose to skip it) find a used Rebel or a '22 still on a lot.

Reaction score
eTorque is not a complicated system, nothing near as complicated as twin turbos with variable timing on 4 independent cam shafts. eTorque is just a giant 48V alternator that can run as a motor and a battery pack with the power conversion equipment built into it. The whole thing is covered under the 8yr emissions warranty if thats what worries you.

And BTW, the 3.5 EB and 5.0 Coyote both have start-stop systems also.
Didn't know that about the warranty, thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/