5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Considering 2018 Ram Laramie Crew Diesel

Lawman

Reaction score
Hoping a 2018 Ram is 4th Generation..First post so if this is in the wrong place please excuse me and put it where I should have..I have never owned a Dodge (always Ford) but always wanted a diesel..I drove the Dodge yesterday and really liked it..I've read a lot of negative things about that diesel engine..In fact enough to probably scare me away from it..I don't need a diesel engine. I just WANT a diesel engine..I seldom pull a trailer and most of my driving is short trips and I would suspect short trips may not be good for a diesel engine..I'm primarily attracted to the Dodge because I feel it is a better value than Ford trucks which I think are overpriced...They are good trucks but it seems I can buy a comparable Dodge for MUCH less money..I'm looking for information about the 2018 ecodiesel in the Laramie..Pros, cons, etc...Any reason to wait for a 2019? Any information from those who have firsthand experiences is appreciated..Also interested in knowing at what temperature do they need to be plugged in..Thanks in advance...

Here is what I'm considering.. https://www.ramtrucks.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=1C6RR7NM4JS253112

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I own a 2017 Ram 1500 Laramie ecodiesel. I regret buying this truck 110% but thats a long story. Here is a forum that will better fit yours needs ad questions:

http://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/forum.php

I just bought a 2019 1500 and they are taking my 2017 ecodiesel when my 2019 arrives. The ecodiesel is HORRIBLE in cold climates. Runs extremely sluggish and you defiantly need the cold weather package for driving and warming up. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. It also has a V6 turbo engine. I thinks its horribly slow too but I ca form a v8 semi and regret that also. In the winter I was getting 13-15mpg when they say you should get around 19 and when diesel costs more then gas and was getting the same mpg as my hemi I was pretty pissed not to mention being in the service dept at the dealership 4 times within the first 2 months of having it. It continued and still does to this day through check engine lights.

Before you buy a ecodiesel check the forum link above. Tons of people are having issues with coolant in their oil and coolant leaking. Also, the "Cold Exhaust Temp" check engine light cannot be fixed by Chrysler at this time due to the FDA refuses to release their "flash" update. This is why I applied for lemon law and got it approved. FYI when the check engine light is on which mine constantly is and they can't fix the problem the automatic start also will not work which pissed me off all winter too.

If your guying to buy a diesel buy a 2500 and get the legit Cummins engine.

Chirp08

Reaction score
The Ecodiesel is meant to be driven in all conditions so you don't have to worry about the common perceptions like city driving is bad for it. Granted, the engine will be more prone to regens, but these will largely go unnoticed to you.

The biggest appeal is the mileage, if you are only driving it around town you will probably only see 20-22mpg but if you throw some highway in the mix you'll get 24-28 depending on how you drive.

As for waiting, the Ecodiesel in the 2019 is rumored to be getting a power bump with the same or possibly even improved mileage (but don't expect much, maybe 1-2mpg). If you are concerned about power though the GDE, PPEI tunes or even Banks Derringer are all options that will likely match or even exceed whatever the 2019 ratings are.

Whether you like the 2019 model enough in general vs. the 2018 is up to personal preferences, and only you can say if the new truck outweighs the massive discount you'd get on the old model.

I've only had cold start issues when temperatures got near zero fahrenheit overnight. Even without plugging it in I was able to get the truck started after a few tries.

Edit: After reading ALACOME's reply I'd like to add my experience has been the complete opposite. The Ecodiesel is the best truck I've owned, there are known issues just like there are known issues with every motor and they don't affect everyone but the vocal minority will make you believe it.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Also, short trips are terrible for the ecodiesel and will force it into "regen" which is a huge deal because if you dont continue to drive your truck during this process and turn it off you will not be able to turn it back on and have to get it towed to the dealership so they can finish the process by forcing the truck to "regen" itself.

Highway driving 45mph+ is a most at least once a month for about 30-45min's to allow the truck to "regen" See the link before for more info then I can explain.

http://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-mechanical/507-regeneration-story-picture.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coM8xa15ksI

If your primary city driving get a gas truck this was my advice before buying the ecodiesel and of course I just "wanted" the diesel and didn't need it and then I really screwed myself.

REMEMBER SALESMAN WILL SELL YOU ANYTHING AND HALF THE TIME THEY DON'T KNOW ANYTHING THEMSELVES ESPECIALLY DIESELS

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Another cost also for having a diesel is filling it up with DEF fluid. You must always use DEF fluid which can be bought at like Farm and Fleet or at a truck stop. The gauge is under the RPM's on the left of the dashboard cluster. If you run out the car won't go over 20mph.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goqtO93ueD8

Also, you will read a lot of issues people are having with DEF systems and DEF fluid freezing in the winter. ALWAYS use fresh new DEF not stuff that sat on a store self for months this will give you problems too. Best best is to fill up at a truck stops where semi's costly are using DEF too. See the video above.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Chirp08 said:
The Ecodiesel is meant to be driven in all conditions so you don't have to worry about the common perceptions like city driving is bad for it. Granted, the engine will be more prone to regens, but these will largely go unnoticed to you.

The biggest appeal is the mileage, if you are only driving it around town you will probably only see 20-22mpg but if you throw some highway in the mix you'll get 24-28 depending on how you drive.

As for waiting, the Ecodiesel in the 2019 is rumored to be getting a power bump with the same or possibly even improved mileage (but don't expect much, maybe 1-2mpg). If you are concerned about power though the GDE, PPEI tunes or even Banks Derringer are all options that will likely match or even exceed whatever the 2019 ratings are.

Whether you like the 2019 model enough in general vs. the 2018 is up to personal preferences, and only you can say if the new truck outweighs the massive discount you'd get on the old model.

I've only had cold start issues when temperatures got near zero fahrenheit overnight. Even without plugging it in I was able to get the truck started after a few tries.

Edit: After reading ALACOME's reply I'd like to add my experience has been the complete opposite. The Ecodiesel is the best truck I've owned, there are known issues just like there are known issues with every motor and they don't affect everyone but the vocal minority will make you believe it.
I have never got gas milage as you suggested. I also have read numerous people online and the forum I attached having issues in winter months under 40 degrees F.

But if you really want this truck go get it and you can still find brand new 2017 on lots with HUGE deals.

I also read the GDE tune will void your factory warranty so I would not suggest to do that.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is the check engine code I and many others currently have with ecodiesels that Chrysler has no fix for:

https://www.obd-codes.com/p050e

Therefore, approved me for lemon law. You can also read about this on the forum I provided above.

Lawman

Reaction score
Wow! glad I asked and thanks for all the replies! So if I run to the store and the regen starts just as I'm parking I assume I just have to sit there and idle until it completes..Is that correct and how long does it take?

Chirp08

Reaction score
Lawman said:
Wow! glad I asked and thanks for all the replies! So if I run to the store and the regen starts just as I'm parking I assume I just have to sit there and idle until it completes..Is that correct and how long does it take?
Regens will happen when you are cruising at steady speed for a while, so it wouldn't likely start in that scenario. You will get a message on the dash telling you how full the filter is. If you turn off the truck an interrupt the regen it will just resume the next time you drive so as long as you account for it at some point it won't disrupt you. Also, I do mixed driving in mine but lately its been about 75% city, I've only gotten the regen message twice in the last 3 years, its not going to be something constantly happening.

alacombe said:
I have never got gas milage as you suggested. I also have read numerous people online and the forum I attached having issues in winter months under 40 degrees F.

But if you really want this truck go get it and you can still find brand new 2017 on lots with HUGE deals.

I also read the GDE tune will void your factory warranty so I would not suggest to do that.
That's unfortunate on your mileage, by comparison my best tank with a mix of highway and backroad driving was 650+ miles and around 28mpg, honestly nothing compares to the capability and efficiency you get out of these trucks with that motor.

The dealership wont know you have an ECM tune unless you tell them for some stupid reason. Also, there are laws that require the dealership to prove the modification you made was at fault for the issue at hand. Many guys get a second ECM so they can swap them out if they need to have work done. If you get it tuned you can eliminate the EGR system which is the culprit of one of the most common issues these motors have (oil getting into the coolant). Luckily, even if your truck suffers that issue its fixable by flushing booth systems.

bravo1

Reaction score
LA,I would talk to a Chrysler tech who is trainned on the VM 3.0L.He can answer all your questions you have plus get any answer from the Ram tech hotline.The RAM/VM 3.0L Motori EPA emission case is about to be settle here like tomorrow with the EPA,it was to be settled by the end of April...On FCA conference call CEO Sergio M stated that Calif/EPA should be finished and he throught that any day now he would be getting a call..Part of this hold up is also the joint settlement with EPA between Borsch/FCA and who was responsible for what and who new what was going on,then it is based on a percentage of blame then fines will be issued.My take is that EPA should allow the changes to go forward and give relief to current owners who either what the software/parts update or be allowed to trade in/cash out...EPA/Calif ARB is currently testing the approved Borsch software language change for the 3.0L VM.And if any emission component's that might also be a part of the recall changed out as well.So any truck you purchase where it is a 2017/2018 may be involved in this next recall...As you may know already a current ECM software that is in this truck was approved as a short term fix to allow RAM/Jeep to clear inventory... You might know this already but Borsch was/is responsible for the developement of the fuel injection/emission system on this Ram truck.This company is in court with FORD/GM owners as well for 3/4 and 1 ton diesel trucks as well.But I got to admit they sure do look attractive the rebates/finnacing rates as well,for a loaded Ram Laramine Limited,

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Chirp08 said:
Regens will happen when you are cruising at steady speed for a while, so it wouldn't likely start in that scenario. You will get a message on the dash telling you how full the filter is. If you turn off the truck an interrupt the regen it will just resume the next time you drive so as long as you account for it at some point it won't disrupt you. Also, I do mixed driving in mine but lately its been about 75% city, I've only gotten the regen message twice in the last 3 years, its not going to be something constantly happening.

That's unfortunate on your mileage, by comparison my best tank with a mix of highway and backroad driving was 650+ miles and around 28mpg, honestly nothing compares to the capability and efficiency you get out of these trucks with that motor.

The dealership wont know you have an ECM tune unless you tell them for some stupid reason. Also, there are laws that require the dealership to prove the modification you made was at fault for the issue at hand. Many guys get a second ECM so they can swap them out if they need to have work done. If you get it tuned you can eliminate the EGR system which is the culprit of one of the most common issues these motors have (oil getting into the coolant). Luckily, even if your truck suffers that issue its fixable by flushing booth systems.
Negative, Regen will not complete or start if you are constantly driving city. You have to drive over 45mph for a solid 45min or system will max pout at 100% and won't regen and won't start after the car is turned off. Forcing you to get a tow to the dealer so they can force the regen.

Also, dealer will know you have a new ECM due to drive hours not matching up with the car and the ECM. Bring it in for warranty work and you will be screwed. I would imagine stating the ECM is cause of the transmission blowing or engine etc is a pretty easy thing to say and show.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lawman said:
You need to get on a country road or highway and drive 45mph+ for about 30-45min to allow the system to regen. Maybe some people don't care but I think this is a pain in the A**.

If you mainly a city driver this truck isn't for you and I realized it isn't for me anymore or ever due to this reason. Also, I don't tow that much either. MPG in the city as I stated earlier isn't that much of a difference then my Hemi I had plus diesel costs more so basically a wash. Also, DEF which is an extra cost also.

The diesel forum I provided above will help you a lot. My diesel is a lemon and I'm waiting for replacement due to p050e check engine code coming and going 24/7 and Chrysler has no fix for it.

Lawman

Reaction score
Thanks guys...I've decided to pass on the 2018 Ecodiesel...I think I better stick to a gasoline engine...

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Thats probably a good idea, the EcoDiesels don't have the best track record. I hope they're really looking into reliability upgrades for the re launch.

VernDiesel

Reaction score
I’m sure Lawman is gone but I want to reply as many will read this thread. My suggestion for your use is to consider the Pentastar. Competitive mileage & better value than the comparable Ford IMO and yes less money.

Current diesel emissions systems are not ideal for daily short commute. Thanks to bad EPA policies. Some even non sensical for EPA stated objectives. But with a tune to turn off EGR & better manage regens the Ecodiesel would be fine with the short trips.

FWIW owner operator of commercial use ED with 445,000 miles towing TTs & boats for the Mfgs. You can see me in ole girl thread in welcome section.

As to the disgruntled posters replies. Can’t speak to “cold exhaust temp” never heard of it. Many Canadian ED owners on the Ecodiesel forum he linked say it’s the best cold weather diesel they have owned. A few threads over their about it with many Canadian ED owners contributing. Not sure how he managed 13-15 mpg. Check fuelie to see 1,000s of owners actual gallons to mileage tracking. The ED far & away has the best full size truck mileage.

Regen is almost always done in the background unknown to the driver. If the truck goes into regen and you shut it off you can restart & drive it. FCA or a dealership will verify that. DIesel exhaust fluid at truck stop pump is 2.69 to 2.97 a gallon. 8 gallons can last 10,000 miles hardly a major expense. DEF tanks have heaters for cold weather. Freezing DEF doesn't seem to be a common complaint from the Canadian owners on the ED forum.

If you damage your truck and if FCA thinks it was due to a tune the burnden is on them to prove that it did. The GDE tune keeps factory safeguards in place. My Ram dealership service advisor was very positive about the tune as it manages the truck as Ram engineers would prefer to if they didn’t have to contend with EPA. This per GDE who were diesel programing engineers at Chrysler before the restructure and have worked directly with VM Motori the engine Mfg. Regardless you don’t have to invest in a tune to have a great experience with the truck. Another transport driver friend bought his new and used it for 212,000 before health issues took his license. Never had a tune or issues with his truck. I invested in a tune at 30k and am very pleased with it but it’s not a requirement.

Look I get he is disgruntled but read the ED forums and you will find the vast majority of owners love the motor and the truck.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread