5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Confused on what door speakers to get

PeteyK49

Reaction score
I read through a lot of pages about upgrading the factory speakers in my base 6 speaker system. I did the 3” 8 ohm faitalpro dash speakers when I got my truck. I have a hemi non etorque and bypassed the anc already with the pac bypass. What ohm 6x9’s can I get that are drop on and match the stock ohms? Some stuff I’ve read says 2 ohms and others 4 ohms. What is it ? Haha

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
OEM speakers are 2ohm.
Get any speaker up to 4ohm, all of these aftermarket speakers are more efficient anyway so you won't lose volume.

jd20lar

Reaction score
I read through a lot of pages about upgrading the factory speakers in my base 6 speaker system. I did the 3” 8 ohm faitalpro dash speakers when I got my truck. I have a hemi non etorque and bypassed the anc already with the pac bypass. What ohm 6x9’s can I get that are drop on and match the stock ohms? Some stuff I’ve read says 2 ohms and others 4 ohms. What is it ? Haha
I went thru the same problem trying to figure mine out. Laramie, Alpine 9 w/ 8.4 non nav. As far I can tell base share the same speakers, 2 ohm, 6x9 blue poly cone 050643584ab. Use the lowest possible you can get/afford. You are going to have to change the dash or add an amp/rewire for to handle the 8 ohm, they over will tax the head unit amp. I think base 6 frt door & dash are run off the same feed. I didn't close look at or save the wiring diag for base 6.
I went with infinity ref 3032cfx 3 ohm for dash(3). Infinity kappa 93ix 2.5 ohm (base response down to 35hz, most 6x9s are 40 or 45+) for all 4 doors, some light mods needed to mount, & alpine front doors only get low pass from amp. My goal was really good sound & extra bass add (8" stk sub little weak), not have to add or bypass anything, budget friendly. All achieved!!! Kicks *** above 30 now, even above 20, leaves ears ringing after a bit. But that said alpine has at least a small amp which can make a big diff. I'm going to try the extra dash in the headliner to see what it does, probably order another set to get one more.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
I went thru the same problem trying to figure mine out. Laramie, Alpine 9 w/ 8.4 non nav. As far I can tell base share the same speakers, 2 ohm, 6x9 blue poly cone 050643584ab. Use the lowest possible you can get/afford. You are going to have to change the dash or add an amp/rewire for to handle the 8 ohm, they over will tax the head unit amp. I think base 6 frt door & dash are run off the same feed. I didn't close look at or save the wiring diag for base 6.
I went with infinity ref 3032cfx 3 ohm for dash(3). Infinity kappa 93ix 2.5 ohm (base response down to 35hz, most 6x9s are 40 or 45+) for all 4 doors, some light mods needed to mount, & alpine front doors only get low pass from amp. My goal was really good sound & extra bass add (8" stk sub little weak), not have to add or bypass anything, budget friendly. All achieved!!! Kicks *** above 30 now, even above 20, leaves ears ringing after a bit. But that said alpine has at least a small amp which can make a big diff. I'm going to try the extra dash in the headliner to see what it does, probably order another set to get one more.
Headliner speakers won't change much, definitely not for the front seats. You're not going to hear them.

PeteyK49

Reaction score
I have the base system. The upgraded the 8 ohm dash speakers and it made a huge difference. There aren’t many 2 ohm 6x9 options for the doors. I was trying to match all the stock ohms with aftermarket for a better/louder sound running off the stock headunit . I installed 4ohm 6x9’s in the front doors but they blew out. They sounded better but had little bass and weren’t loud enough. I put the stock speakers back in for now. I have a powered 10” sub under my back seat. It sounds ok. I just want more vocals and better sounding rock music without going all out on a system. I was hoping some decent 6x9 in 2 ohm were available

Pierrepage79

Reaction score
I have the base system. The upgraded the 8 ohm dash speakers and it made a huge difference. There aren’t many 2 ohm 6x9 options for the doors. I was trying to match all the stock ohms with aftermarket for a better/louder sound running off the stock headunit . I installed 4ohm 6x9’s in the front doors but they blew out. They sounded better but had little bass and weren’t loud enough. I put the stock speakers back in for now. I have a powered 10” sub under my back seat. It sounds ok. I just want more vocals and better sounding rock music without going all out on a system. I was hoping some decent 6x9 in 2 ohm were available
Did you put the infinity in phase and disable ANC? I had done the same exact set up as you and kept all speakers connected reverse as they came from the factory. Sound is cleaner yes but the treble is insane, also as you go louder into the 25-30 you can tell ANC is trying to lower Bass and mess with the overall sound.

PeteyK49

Reaction score
Did you put the infinity in phase and disable ANC? I had done the same exact set up as you and kept all speakers connected reverse as they came from the factory. Sound is cleaner yes but the treble is insane, also as you go louder into the 25-30 you can tell ANC is trying to lower Bass and mess with the overall sound.
I bypassed the anc. Put better 8 ohm speakers in the dash. I used the speaker adapters from crutchfield and bass blockers. That was a huge improvement from stock. Added the powered sub a few days later. I want more out of my doors. The stock 6x9’s aren’t loud at all. I might try the power bass 2 ohm 6x9’s to see if the matching the stock ohms helps

phisch

Reaction score
So I have a base 6-speaker EcoDiesel and the front door 6x9's were 4ohm. Direct swapped with Alpine Type-R 6x9's and they sound pretty nice. What sub did you add? Any pics of the install? I would also like a little more bass but don't want to sacrifice the rear floor space.

PeteyK49

Reaction score
So I have a base 6-speaker EcoDiesel and the front door 6x9's were 4ohm. Direct swapped with Alpine Type-R 6x9's and they sound pretty nice. What sub did you add? Any pics of the install? I would also like a little more bass but don't want to sacrifice the rear floor space.
I have a hemi. Not sure if the eco diesel has different speakers. I didn’t take any pictures of the install but I used a Rockville 10” powered sub off Amazon for $130. It’s not too shabby. I have it laying on angle on the hump under the seat and stuck some double sided Velcro and 2 screws into the carpet. It doesn’t stick out at all. After broken in, it bumps. It won’t hit super low and misses some beats but still sounds good. I ran the wires thru the rubber grommet for the steering wheel. Ran the wires down under the drivers side door sill. It just pops up if you pry it. Tucked the wires behind the back seat and ran the high level inputs under the rear floor mats going to the anc bypass. I got lazy and didn’t hide the wires under the carpet. I just laid a piece thin foam weather stripping down and used it as a conduit for the wires under the floor mats.

4thRam

Reaction score
Did those faitalpro 3" drop right in? The stocks are 3.5".

PeteyK49

Reaction score
Did those faitalpro 3" drop right in? The stocks are 3.5".
I had to cut one or two tabs off and oblong a mounting hole. I had to buy a metra adapters and in line bass blockers for a plug and play install

Users who are viewing this thread