5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Confused Newbie?!? 8.4 < 12 uconnect switch

Levi1331

Reaction score
Hello,

I am getting mixed signals on if I can upgrade my 8.4 non-nav uconnect to the 12”. I have read some stuff that says you can and some say you can't or that I will lose features. I have also heard having a jump seat like I do instead of the console makes a difference. This is a 2020 4x4 Lonestar. I am also interested in installing guardians. Can anyone let me know if it's possible? I’m also nervous because every time I go to order from the site it says won’t fit.

Thanks,

Bsaylor

Reaction score
Hello,

I am getting mixed signals on if I can upgrade my 8.4 non-nav uconnect to the 12”. I have read some stuff that says you can and some say you can't or that I will lose features. I have also heard having a jump seat like I do instead of the console makes a difference. This is a 2020 4x4 Lonestar. I am also interested in installing guardians. Can anyone let me know if it's possible? I’m also nervous because every time I go to order from the site it says won’t fit.

Thanks,

Haven’t read anything about the jump seat, but I just did the conversion on my 2020 Laramie HD. Nothing lost. Guardian can not be added, must be an option from the factory. I had the dealer update my vin and it’s still not available. I did gain navigation, wifi, Sirius travel link (need a subscription) and a option for themes. The wifi is a trial and whenever it ends I won’t be able to get it back. Same with the guardian, doesn’t show up as an option under my vin through att. That’s not everything but the main ones I use at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Levi1331

Reaction score
Haven’t read anything about the jump seat, but I just did the conversion on my 2020 Laramie HD. Nothing lost. Guardian can not be added, must be an option from the factory. I had the dealer update my vin and it’s still not available. I did gain navigation, wifi, Sirius travel link (need a subscription) and a option for themes. The wifi is a trial and whenever it ends I won’t be able to get it back. Same with the guardian, doesn’t show up as an option under my vin through att. That’s not everything but the main ones I use at the moment.

Thank you for responding. If you don’t mind me asking did you take it to a dealership to get the screen put in, and how much did it cost you? Also, if I’m understanding correct the dealership can’t even install guardians?

Bsaylor

Reaction score
Thank you for responding. If you don’t mind me asking did you take it to a dealership to get the screen put in, and how much did it cost you? Also, if I’m understanding correct the dealership can’t even install guardians?

No problem. I took it to the dealership to have the radio flashed to the truck. So it will show up as having that radio vs having the 8.4 non nav. Looked it up earlier on the ram app and they put in as a 3c 8.4 with nav instead of the 4c 12.1 . Regardless, ram support told me that unless the truck was equipped with guardian from the factory, it wasn’t possible to get. Wifi was not working at lunch, so the trial must be over. Total cost was 1640.22 roughly which is everything, including the alphaobd software. I installed it myself, it is pretty straight forward. Once you have it going and change the screen settings, don’t freak out. It will take a few hours for everything to reinstall and function properly. My a/c was jacked up but after a few hours all was good.

Levi1331

Reaction score
Thank you for all of the information. I am going to go for it. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks again.

Apexbasher

Reaction score

I recently went from the non-nav 8.4 to the full monty 12” on my ‘19 Bighorn 1500 and love it! No guardian, but that would have been a whole bunch of work to figure out. As it is I have all the XM coolness with traffic and weather maps, kept my dual zone climate, gained navigation and possibly WiFi (though I haven’t really figured that part out yet).
So are you saying that the sales code was not available when they tried to update yours? I was just at a dealership getting an unrelated issue resolved and tried to get them to add the sales code (UAX) to mine, but no love. It wasn’t on the menu of available codes. Now I have two upgrades that aren’t showing up (GXD for passive entry, as well) that run the risk of being reset and removed if they ever do a body computer refresh to my truck.

Bsaylor

Reaction score
I recently went from the non-nav 8.4 to the full monty 12” on my ‘19 Bighorn 1500 and love it! No guardian, but that would have been a whole bunch of work to figure out. As it is I have all the XM coolness with traffic and weather maps, kept my dual zone climate, gained navigation and possibly WiFi (though I haven’t really figured that part out yet).
So are you saying that the sales code was not available when they tried to update yours? I was just at a dealership getting an unrelated issue resolved and tried to get them to add the sales code (UAX) to mine, but no love. It wasn’t on the menu of available codes. Now I have two upgrades that aren’t showing up (GXD for passive entry, as well) that run the risk of being reset and removed if they ever do a body computer refresh to my truck.

I took it in to add the code (70bucks) in an attempt to gain guardian access, shot in the dark. I was hoping that once it was added , att would recognize the vin and I could gain full access. The wifi trial is still going but believe it’s only good for a month or so, not really sure. They sell hotspots I can use but would rather have it integrated with the system. I checked the ram app and they put it in as a 3c 8.4 instead of the 4c 12.1 At this point I’m just happy it’s in and functioning.

jlanc20

Reaction score
was anyone able to updste their navigation? i did the swap last year but i think the navigation needs updated because sometimes when i put an address in its taking me a longer route than what my phone does lol

Nozzleman

Reaction score
@Levi1331
Lookup MVI Inc. A lot of guys here have reached out to him. He offers the entire kit with full instructions for a good price. You do all the programming at home, so no dealership.

He also buys your 8.4 screen.

His number is (919)995-9523, you have to text him and he will answer all of your questions.

If you reach out to him let him know Jose Rodriguez told you, he may give you a discount.

J.R

Users who are viewing this thread