5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Condensation on windshield

jrami

Reaction score
Wasn't sure where to post this if this is not the right place my apologies. I've had the truck for two weeks now and every time I drive it at night I get condensation buildup on the bottom of the windshield. Granted I live down in South Texas but I've never had this problem with any of my other vehicles. Has anyone else run into this problem. 20200719_212521.jpg

Attachments

• 20200719_212241.jpg
    20200719_212241.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 106

bazbob

Reaction score
Really clean the inside of your windshield and use a Mr. Clean Magic eraser. You may have residue build up from the oils eminating from the dash material baking in the sun and daytime heat.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That has happened to every vehicle I've owned, essentially if you don't have your A/C on, it will do that once the humidity is allowed to increase inside the cab.

jrami

Reaction score
Really clean the inside of your windshield and use a Mr. Clean Magic eraser. You may have residue build up from the oils eminating from the dash material baking in the sun and daytime heat.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
The condensation is on the outside of the windshield, I'll try using a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser on the exterior. I think I may have some cold air coming up through the vents on top of the dash when I run the AC not sure if that is normal. Thanks for the suggestion.

jrami

Reaction score
That has happened to every vehicle I've owned, essentially if you don't have your A/C on, it will do that once the humidity is allowed to increase inside the cab.
This happens when I have the AC on and the condensation is on the outside. It's as if the cold air from the AC is coming up through the vents on top of the dash and cooling the bottom of the window which then creates condensation when the cold glass is hit with warm outside air. Trying to figure out of I have cold air coming from the top of the dash when running the AC. I always though the cold air was only coming out of the vents facing the driver and passenger.

BlackLoneStarHemi

Reaction score
I also have had this same issue since my truck was new in 2018. So far, there is no fix. It is a design flaw, not something broken. My dealer, and others posting here, have found no solution. At least my AC cools well so that is a plus since other owners seem to have the problem of their AC not being cold enough.

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Happens to me every morning when I leave the AC on Auto and temp set to Low. When I adjust the temp closer to the dew point in my area, it decreases the condensation. The problem there is the dew point is substantially warm down here. It was 77F this morning. I try to cool the cab down with remote start before I leave in the morning, then turn the temp up and the fan speed down for my morning commute. Luckily my travel time is only 10-15 minutes. Agreed it's cool air leaking/coming out of the defrost vents and is a design or software flaw.

STR

Reaction score
“The main cause of condensation is a difference between the temperature of the air and the temperature of the glass. Condensation on the outside of a car is caused when warm, moist air (often present in early morning hours) condenses when it hits the car’s colder window glass. During cold weather, turning the heat off inside your car may also cause moisture to build up on your windshield or windows. That’s also why on warm, humid days, condensation may form at the base of a windshield, where outside air encounters cooled air from the car’s air conditioner. Generally speaking, when warm air meets cold air, moisture develops on surfaces... “

jrami

Reaction score
I also have had this same issue since my truck was new in 2018. So far, there is no fix. It is a design flaw, not something broken. My dealer, and others posting here, have found no solution. At least my AC cools well so that is a plus since other owners seem to have the problem of their AC not being cold enough.
I was afraid it would be something like a design flaw since I could'nt feel any cold air coming up through the top of the dash. But your right, at least the AC is cooling.

Last edited:

jrami

Reaction score
Happens to me every morning when I leave the AC on Auto and temp set to Low. When I adjust the temp closer to the dew point in my area, it decreases the condensation. The problem there is the dew point is substantially warm down here. It was 77F this morning. I try to cool the cab down with remote start before I leave in the morning, then turn the temp up and the fan speed down for my morning commute. Luckily my travel time is only 10-15 minutes. Agreed it's cool air leaking/coming out of the defrost vents and is a design or software flaw.
Yes somehow there is cold air leaking up through the defrost vents. I read somewhere that turning off the "air recirculate" might help alleviate the condensation, not sure if it would actually work but may give it a try next time I'm out at night or early in the morning.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
You know you're spoiled when this is the type of problems people are complaining about. :D I guess it's better than hearing about real problems people are having with their trucks. (y)

Unfortunately that's what I've doing, just gets annoying after a while.
I understand your frustration though. The condensation is at the bottom of the windshield, so the sensor doesn't see it to turn on the wipers for you. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

witcohe

Reaction score
My guess is the constant airflow from the windshield vents is not a design flaw. It is designed that way to help prevent the opposite problem - condensation on the inside of the window when humid air might be introduced into the car (open window, door, etc.).

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
There are other long threads about this. People talking about blend doors not working and such. The OM mentions this that some air is always directed at the defrost vents. Obviously the problem is when you live in a high humidity warm climate (Florida, Texas, other gulf coast states) you will see this every day.

I have found If you try to match your temp setting to the outside temp, there is less condensation. But that is not always possible as mornings in the summer where I live are mid 70's with 100% humidity.

Bottom line for the OP is this is experienced by all of us. Also for me using the wipers makes it worse.

RamLink83

Reaction score
Seems normal to me if you have the AC on, especially when it is really humid out. Your windshield is a lot colder than the outside causing it to condensate. It's basically what happens when you have a cold can of beer outside (or even in the house). The outside of the can condensates.

RamLink83

Reaction score
Seems normal to me if you have the AC on, especially when it is really humid out. Your windshield is a lot colder than the outside causing it to condensate. It's basically what happens when you have a cold can of beer outside (or even in the house). The outside of the can condensates.
Now if it happens on the inside, then you have a problem.

BlackLoneStarHemi

Reaction score
I have had dozens of vehicles throughout my life and this truck is the only one that has exhibited this problem

Users who are viewing this thread