5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Concern with Ready lift sst 3.5 inch lift

landenc55

Reaction score
I noticed that.
I think the new struts' spring seat is lower than your OEM struts. It effectively drops your front end by the difference between OEM and new spring seats.
I agree. I will be contacting the shop in the morning. If this goes like the rest of the job I’m sure it’ll be a fiasco.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are you mechanically inclined? Im asking since a shop did the install. If the shop only swapped one strut and left the over I can only imagine how the ride quality is going to suffer. Usually thats something better done in pairs and with the same part not two different struts.

I would pick up a pair of Bilstein 5100 if it was me and that’ll also give you a chance to do away with the preload spacer and would do the install myself but not knowing your situation I can’t 100% suggest that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

landenc55

Reaction score
Are you mechanically inclined? Im asking since a shop did the install. If the shop only swapped one strut and left the over I can only imagine how the ride quality is going to suffer. Usually thats something better done in pairs and with the same part not two different struts.

I would pick up a pair of Bilstein 5100 if it was me and that’ll also give you a chance to do away with the preload spacer and would do the install myself but not knowing your situation I can’t 100% suggest that.

They supposedly replaced both sides. The ride quality isn’t bad and the angles aren’t severe, the problem I have is I paid for 3.5 inches of lift and only got 2 inches up front and 2 inches in the back. Yea I’ve installed several lifts and leveling kits over the years. I just didn’t have time to install it and I thought this shop was trustworthy. I don’t feel it’s ethical on the shops part to charge me for installing a lift incorrectly. If they won’t fix it for free, I’ll definitely do away with the preload spacers

landenc55

Reaction score
Update: shop basically said it wasn’t their fault (even tho there’s no way the kit was installed properly because it only yielded 2-2.5 inches of lift up front). So I decided to order some preloaded 3.5 inch struts. Hopefully I can finally obtain 3.5 inches of lift up front and reduce my rake from 2.25 to .75 inches. If I end up with the same amount of rake I’m gonna feel like a moron😑

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You paid cash? Or credit.. If it was me a dispute the charge for w/e they charged you for the install. Yay goodbye preload spacer see theres a postive to this story after all.

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Update: shop basically said it wasn’t their fault (even tho there’s no way the kit was installed properly because it only yielded 2-2.5 inches of lift up front). So I decided to order some preloaded 3.5 inch struts. Hopefully I can finally obtain 3.5 inches of lift up front and reduce my rake from 2.25 to .75 inches. If I end up with the same amount of rake I’m gonna feel like a moron😑
It looks like the kit was installed correctly, but the struts weren't a direct OEM match.
Imagine how low the front would be without the kit.

landenc55

Reaction score
It looks like the kit was installed correctly, but the struts weren't a direct OEM match.
Imagine how low the front would be without the kit.
Yea I agree that the struts definitely didn’t match the oem. If the kit wasn’t on, the truck would be sitting at like 20.5 inches hub to fender, Way too low for factory. Maybe they ordered struts for a 4th gen ? Or maybe a 5th gen classic. They may have just slapped on some struts they had laying around. 😂

landenc55

Reaction score
You paid cash? Or credit.. If it was me a dispute the charge for w/e they charged you for the install. Yay goodbye preload spacer see theres a postive to this story after all.

Yep, no more spacers, I’ll probably just put the struts on myself, no need for another fiasco at a mechanics shop.😂

MurphBigHorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just tossing this out there. I wonder if they replaced the struts because they couldn’t get the nut off the top of the existing strut. I was lucky when I installed my kit. I was already replacing my struts. My truck has no rush. But the nuts on my struts were rusted on. The top stub part you grip brock. Soaking them with pb blaster did nothing. I had to drill out the nut.

Attachments

• 67C5279F-2435-404B-AD4B-BF7B438695EE.jpeg
    67C5279F-2435-404B-AD4B-BF7B438695EE.jpeg
    180 KB · Views: 25
  • 6FCF9F64-0ABE-45B0-8F91-FEAF895CB274.jpeg
    6FCF9F64-0ABE-45B0-8F91-FEAF895CB274.jpeg
    295.4 KB · Views: 25
  • E5E414AC-7BE1-4E3D-9197-F6C870B4CFF4.jpeg
    E5E414AC-7BE1-4E3D-9197-F6C870B4CFF4.jpeg
    185.3 KB · Views: 25

landenc55

Reaction score
Just tossing this out there. I wonder if they replaced the struts because they couldn’t get the nut off the top of the existing strut. I was lucky when I installed my kit. I was already replacing my struts. My truck has no rush. But the nuts on my struts were rusted on. The top stub part you grip brock. Soaking them with pb blaster did nothing. I had to drill out the nut.
That’s probably what happened to my original struts

landenc55

Reaction score
Final update😂: installed the 3.5 inch rough country struts and now my truck is sitting much better.
Center of hub to fender measurements:
Front: 25.5 inches
Back 26 inches

lapoolboy

Reaction score
Bilstein 6112's set to clip #6 with tophat spacer only and no preload spacer....done

Users who are viewing this thread