5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Computer help needed

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i just finished building a new computer that utilizes Windows 11. I’m using a SSD (boot drive) in this new build as opposed to a HDD. I left the HDD (Windows 10) in the case thinking I would just use it for extra storage and so I could still access my old files and programs. Now I’m able to see the HDD and its contents, but cannot access any programs or files. How can I utilize these programs? How can I transfer some of these programs to my SSD? I built the computer just to save money (and it’s easy enough) but I only know enough to get myself into trouble, obviously. Background on reason to build new computer. I built my previous computer many years ago using Windows 7. About a year ago I moved to Windows 10 and the computer became a brick. What should take 5 minutes would take 30. The computer became almost unusable. I wanted to move to Windows 11 due to Windows 10 losing support in about two years and some of my parts were not compatible. My ultimate goal is to remove all the programs and files I need from the HDD and then format it. That way I’ll have a backup drive for storage of pictures, videos, music, etc. I just need some advice, dumbed down in plain English so I can get this done.

Build Parts List

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 3.9 GHz 6-Core Processor
Asus TUF GAMING A520M-PLUS WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
Silicon Power XPOWER Turbine 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Kingston NV2 500 GB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
Windows 11 Home
Already had case, power supply HDD and DVD/CD Writer

Last edited:

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
As I understand it, the programs that are installed onto your old HDD were installed using a different operating system, are not in the registry of your new operating system. And are therefore not accessible to it. You need to reinstall those applications using your new OS so they can be used. Files like pictures and music should be accessible now. Some of the data files on the HDD will be accesible from the old drive once you have reinstalled the applications with your current OS. I wouldn't be surprised if there are programs out there that would allow you to access those applications without reinstalling them, but I wouldn't know what they are or where to find them.

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can only access your old "data" from you old HDD. If you want to "run" the programs that were installed in your old HDD, you have to reinstall all of them. Your current OS doesn't know it's installed in the old HDD.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
What said above is pretty much correct.
New windows installations knows nothing about the old. Programs exist in the registry, importing the old registry will do nothing but break your new windows 11 install.

If your new SSD is the same size or smaller then your existing HDD you can clone your HDD using various free software like Acronis True HD to your SSD, then boot up to your SSD and you can upgrade from Windows 10 to 11 (just mount the iso and it upgrades for you), then insert the new HDD and format it and move over any extra data pictures, videos, etc to save space.

That said if things are slow keeping your OS on new hardware might not help as much as it could just be junk and corruption. In that case you need to re-install every single program 1 by 1, then attempt to backup and restore any config\files if possible depending on which software.

I did something similar as I run my Windows 7 with a Ryzen 7 on new hardware (which doesn't even technically have USB drivers for Windows 7). I also have other drives for Windows 11 just so I can play new games that don't run on 7, and Minecraft with my kid.

What size is your old HDD vs the SSD? I can send you a bootable image that you can download to a USB drive to clone to your SSD if you like.

Users who are viewing this thread