5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Computer blooper last night. Is this limp mode?

Bob.

Reaction score
Last night I hit the remote starter and the truck started up as I'm walking over to it.
I open the door and fasten my seat belt.
This truck has no key so you step on the brake pedal and press the on button on the dash. As I do that I shift into drive as one swooping motion.

I leave the shop. The truck is stuck in 2nd gear. I'm doing 4,000 rpm going 30 MPH.
It won't shift.

I stop on the side of the road, shut it off. I wait 5 seconds and restart it. I give it another few seconds and drive away. All is fine.

Apparently I shifted it into drive too quickly after turning on the truck. The 984 computers (sarcasm) didn't have a chance to boot up.

Is that limp mode not shifting going down the road?

tom318

Reaction score
Think there is any chance you pressed the gear limit buttons on the steering wheel to limit it to 2nd? I've pressed them by mistake a few times wondering why I wouldn't go over 6 or 7th sometimes.

Bob.

Reaction score
Think there is any chance you pressed the gear limit buttons on the steering wheel to limit it to 2nd? I've pressed them by mistake a few times wondering why I wouldn't go over 6 or 7th sometimes.
I don't think so. I didn't see any other light on, on the steering wheel or dash. So I pondered a slow ride home or a nice stroll at 2:30 in the morning, if this truck won't restart.

I think I just turned everything on too fast before the gauge cluster settled down. (You know how it clocks it's self for a moment, I was moving forward as it was doing that)

Bob.

Reaction score
Tonight leaving the shop, whipping around the parking lot I purposely pressed the lower gear selector on the steering wheel 1 click.....Yes your on to it. Not sure if this is what happened but the odds of it happening is rather high. It's easy to thump the wheel cranking it back and forth. Thanks for the heads up. If it ever happens again I will look for the "D" on the instrument cluster.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
We all have done it before.

When you activate it, look for the indicator next to the PDRL indicators on your instrument cluster. It will be to the right of the PDRL selector indicators. When you press the (-) button on the gear limiter, it automatically defaults to the gear you are in. Most people do it in first gear, because they hit the button accidentally while at a stop light.

To reset if you accidentally do this, press the (+) button until it goes past 8th gear, which turns it off. It also turns off whenever you shift out of Drive or turn the truck off/on. Most people use the gear limiter set to 8th gear to prevent MDS operation. Still gives you the full range of gears but prevents 4-cylinder mode from coming on.

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
We all have done it before.

When you activate it, look for the indicator next to the PDRL indicators on your instrument cluster. It will be to the right of the PDRL selector indicators. When you press the (-) button on the gear limiter, it automatically defaults to the gear you are in. Most people do it in first gear, because they hit the button accidentally while at a stop light.

To reset if you accidentally do this, press the (+) button until it goes past 8th gear, which turns it off. It also turns off whenever you shift out of Drive or turn the truck off/on. Most people use the gear limiter set to 8th gear to prevent MDS operation. Still gives you the full range of gears but prevents 4-cylinder mode from coming on.
To reset, you just have to hold down the + button for a couple seconds. No need to repeatedly push it to go through all the gears.

Also, some of us have turned on the gear indicator option, so it always shows what gear we are in to the right of the PDRL selector. Even when not using the gear limiter.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
To reset, you just have to hold down the + button for a couple seconds. No need to repeatedly push it to go through all the gears.

Also, some of us have turned on the gear indicator option, so it always shows what gear we are in to the right of the PDRL selector. Even when not using the gear limiter.

Sure, I was just being general about needing to go up the gears (+) button in order turn it off, single presses or hold.

Yup, the "current gear" option is definitely something I recommend as well. Not sure why RAM didn't do that by default in the settings.

Users who are viewing this thread