5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete power loss/hesitation when coming out of turn and flooring it, anyone else experience this? (Possible CAI issue?)

LV426

Reaction score
I don't know how else to describe it, it seems to happen consistently when I make a hard turn, like coming out of a parking lot into traffic for example. I floor it, truck seems to hesitate or surge, then it kicks in and hauls ***. You can hear very clear it rev up, completely dip and then kick back in... It's crazy, no engine lights or warnings and it only happens when coming out of a turn.

I may have posted about this before, possibly associating it with the start/stop but I'm honestly not sure if it has anything to do with it because it does it with the start/stop disabled.

I'm staring to wonder if it has something to do with my CAI (S&B) but I'm not sure. I also notice that if I rev the engine while in park, it almost seems like its limited/borderline stalls. Just something seems off with it or maybe this is by design because again, truck runs fine and I have not had a single warning light, etc...

Only have the S&B CAI & exhaust from B2 Fabrication.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Are you sure traction or stability control isn't interfering? The traction/stability control light can flash quickly and you may not notice it. Revs are limited in park or neutral to 3-4k rpm

LV426

Reaction score
Its happen enough times now that I was literally keeping an eye on the dash for some kind of warning light or something, I get no indication. I'm also already out of the turn when I'm flooring it. It seems to happen mostly when coming out of a turn but It may have also happen from dead stop a few times, just not as pronounced.

For the most part I ignore it and dismiss it as "by design" but it did it the other day when I was making a u-turn and it was so noticeable (just complete power loss) its been kind of bothering me.

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's in the tune/programming, they have the rev limit and shift point set either exactly the same or too close together. You are hitting the rev limit at the same time as a shift. The only way to "fix" that is to get it tuned and move the shift RPM a few hundred lower in the scale away from the rev limit, not sure if any of the diablo canned tunes address it or not, but it may take custom tuning. The computer can't react fast enough and the motor surpasses the RPM the shift point is set at and you bang the rev limiter, then it reacts and you get the shift and @ss-haulin ensues.
I had to address this in my SRT-8 426cui Charger. Once I stroked it, had to do custom tuning of course, and was able to get it perfected. I had to set shift point at 6300 and the rev limit was I think 6700 (It's been a while). The actual shift point would occur at 6500-6600 RPM even though it was set at 6300, the engine passes up the computer so to speak.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Are you rolling slightly, or possibly slowing down some just before hitting he has pedal. It's more than likely the transmission hunting for the right kickdown gear. While in a turn, traction control may play a part as well, but I'd lean more towards just programming with trans, and hunting for the correct gear. Next time try using the gear limiter to set like 2nd or 3rd gear until you come out of turn and see if that helps. Could also try turning "off" traction control by hitting the button to see if that makes any difference.

I have an issue with the 9-speed in my Ram Promaster City I have for work where if I am slowing down by just letting off the gas, then want to go again and hit gas pedal, it will hesitate badly trying to downshift transmission into proper gear. This has almost caused some accidents as I'm trying to get out into a gap in traffic and the hesitation kills my acceleration I need to make it into traffic. I have been able to avoid this by using gear limiter, if I'm thinking about it, and downshifting manually into a lower gear.

Dustin_Tarditi

Reaction score
If you were coming out of a turn and "mash the pedal" your rear axle would still be differentiating and cause wheelspin, and possibly loss of traction > loss of control
There is likely a safety feature to prevent this.
There are tons of youtube videos of mustangs (and other RWD cars) at coffee klatches fishtailing out of control... that's my bet. By design.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
My Tundra used to do that and it was dangerous when I was trying to make an aggressive move ahead of approaching traffic. With the Tundra, I could shut off the nannies by holding down the traction control button for 5 seconds. I'm not sure if that works on the Ram's. After they were disabled, the truck would light up the rear tires without falling flat on its face.

Last edited:

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Tc stability control kicking in

You can turn off tc. But not stability control in 2wd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LV426

Reaction score
Thank you all for the replies.

Honestly, I don't think its traction control related. The reason is I feel like it also has happened from a stop, (like at a light) but its more prevalent when turning. Also usually when traction control gets triggered it would flash on the dash (wet grass driving, etc..)

To me, it feels more like if I was shifting a manual tranny and keeping the clutch pushed in longer than needed between 1st & 2nd. I think HSKR/RT & Dookie are on to it, truck just shifts gears weird I guess.

ZombieSlayer

Reaction score
Same issue here, 2 different dealers in 2 different states say "working as designed" but won't explain to me why it's designed to work that way :unsure:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Same issue here, 2 different dealers in 2 different states say "working as designed" but won't explain to me why it's designed to work that way :unsure:
Working "as designed" doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement. Just means the factory programming sucks and there isn't anything rhs delayer can do.

ZombieSlayer

Reaction score
Oh I totally agree, it's annoying as bleep and has almost gotten me run over from the car behind me.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I experience throttle lag alot. I think it’s been in to the factory tune. A lot of folks get a pedal commander or equivalent to fix this. I haven’t done it yet

Users who are viewing this thread