5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Compensating for heavy bumper?

Rabbit929

Reaction score
I have a 160-180lb bumper on the way, what is some things to do to compensate for the extra sag?
I want to level the truck too, after contacting bolstering about the 5100’s and a heavy bumper they couldn’t give me any answers.

Maybe 6112’s set at a higher setting?
Will the bumper make it drive funny?
Opinions?

Attachments

• 572FBC15-60AE-461F-B2BD-DC181E88673C.jpeg
    572FBC15-60AE-461F-B2BD-DC181E88673C.jpeg
    88.4 KB · Views: 49

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
basically what ^he said.
You don't want to just up the setting and mess up the preload. what you want to do is get proper rated springs for your setup so it doesn't ride like crap.

if you had kings then you could upgrade to 700lb springs, but i'm taking a wild guess here thinking 700lb springs is what you'll need.

Rabbit929

Reaction score
I would love kings but that’s $$$$.

Trying to stay on the cheaper side, but not so cheap that the ride quality is less than factory.

I sent an email the eibach, currently awaiting a response.

I see rough country has a leveling kit complete with Uca’s on fleabay for about a grand, doesn’t seem like a bad deal but last time I used rc the ride felt cheap.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm getting a custom made steel bumper for my Built to Serve and have the Bilstein 5100s on the truck. I will post results of any sag or ride quality changes after install

silverWS6

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have an ADD bumper and I want to say it weighs about 150+. It didn't change my ride quality or make my truck drive funny. I currently have a 2.5 level and ReadyLift UCA's and it rides like stock.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would love kings but that’s $$$$.

Trying to stay on the cheaper side, but not so cheap that the ride quality is less than factory.

I sent an email the eibach, currently awaiting a response.

I see rough country has a leveling kit complete with Uca’s on fleabay for about a grand, doesn’t seem like a bad deal but last time I used rc the ride felt cheap.
they are worth every penny if you go to the desert often and like to go fast.
had them on my 4Runner with full metal bumper. Stock spring rate for king was like 550lb and I rubbed and dipped when going through whoops, but once I put 700lb springs in the front no more rubbing/ dipping going through whoops.
also with 700lb springs i was able to lower my preload while still maintaining the 3" lift that I wanted. i was able to do 60MPH in the desert going through small and medium whoops. The same couldn't be done with bilsteins 5100s I had before the kings.

Wilsonwanderings

Reaction score
I've been wrestling with this question for a while now. I put a bumper and winch on my ecodiesel and it settled my 2.5 Kings down a bit too far (as expected). I added a few cranks, which helped some but it still rides lower than I'd like and obviously that is suboptimal for suspension travel and performance. I talked to king and eibach and neither had a heavier spring to swap in. I'm still running stock control arms. Anyone have any other suggestions? I'd love to turn the preload back down.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've been wrestling with this question for a while now. I put a bumper and winch on my ecodiesel and it settled my 2.5 Kings down a bit too far (as expected). I added a few cranks, which helped some but it still rides lower than I'd like and obviously that is suboptimal for suspension travel and performance. I talked to king and eibach and neither had a heavier spring to swap in. I'm still running stock control arms. Anyone have any other suggestions? I'd love to turn the preload back down.
oof... if king doesn't have heavier springs... check with filthymotorsports, they may be able to help you find a solution!

Moto21

Reaction score
If your kings are the 23.5" extended version, you can add 1/2" top hat, and wind down preload or keep same. The cv's are good to a little over 24" from coil bucket to shock bottom bolt, you just have to watch the king spring perch on the cv at full droop as it gets very close. Thats essentially what I have, I was maxxed on preload. the fox's extend 1/2" more than the kings however the spring perch is designed smaller on them so it doesnt get as close. Anyways, that allowed me to reduce the preload and keep my same height and allowing me to add preload as front end weight changes as in heavier bumpers/winch. Top of shock to bottom eye bolt currently sits at 22"(used to be 22-1/2") top of inside coilbucket including the spacer to bottom shock bolt is 22-1/2" essentially giving 1/2" of adjustment room to compensate.

Wilsonwanderings

Reaction score
If your kings are the 23.5" extended version, you can add 1/2" top hat, and wind down preload or keep same. The cv's are good to a little over 24" from coil bucket to shock bottom bolt, you just have to watch the king spring perch on the cv at full droop as it gets very close. Thats essentially what I have, I was maxxed on preload. the fox's extend 1/2" more than the kings however the spring perch is designed smaller on them so it doesnt get as close. Anyways, that allowed me to reduce the preload and keep my same height and allowing me to add preload as front end weight changes as in heavier bumpers/winch. Top of shock to bottom eye bolt currently sits at 22"(used to be 22-1/2") top of inside coilbucket including the spacer to bottom shock bolt is 22-1/2" essentially giving 1/2" of adjustment room to compensate.
Thanks for the great info, both of you. I reached out to filthy and will take some measurements when I get a chance.

Users who are viewing this thread