5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Common Issues and Air Conditioning

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score

HEPA Cabin Air Filter replacement CF11671.

Yeah these cause issues with low flow alot of times, way to thick of a filter and not a enough air flow to push through. No reason for a hepa filter in a vehicle really. I work in Pharmaceuticals in clean rooms, THOUGHS rooms need hepa filters. Not a normal truck/car.

Hemogoblin

Reaction score
I'm considering buying a new 1500 Longhorn and I'm curious what to expect as far as common issues. I do know about the exhaust manifolds. Also- for those of you who live in extremely hot climates such as Houston, how does the air conditioning perform? Thanks!
Even as someone living in Canada (where it can get to high 30's and high 40's with humidity) I can tell you the AC is absolute garbage in these trucks. It works, don't get me wrong, but you will never have to lower the AC on a hot day. In fact, you will have it maxed out and still not feel completely cool in the vehicle.
Something is wrong with the design and I reckon it has to do with the baffles/flaps inside. I have had moments where the AC all of a sudden is amazingly cool and the sound the system is making is different only to have that go away after 5-10 seconds and go back to it's crappy performance. But don't let that stop you. I would still consider buying another RAM even with this AC.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Even as someone living in Canada (where it can get to high 30's and high 40's with humidity) I can tell you the AC is absolute garbage in these trucks. It works, don't get me wrong, but you will never have to lower the AC on a hot day. In fact, you will have it maxed out and still not feel completely cool in the vehicle.
Something is wrong with the design and I reckon it has to do with the baffles/flaps inside. I have had moments where the AC all of a sudden is amazingly cool and the sound the system is making is different only to have that go away after 5-10 seconds and go back to it's crappy performance. But don't let that stop you. I would still consider buying another RAM even with this AC.
I have to lower mine all the time, even with heat index here can be 110 with 80% humidity and parking in the sun all day. It usually stays wide open for about 10 minutes, then I can lower it.

Of course, I have had the AC redesign done, along with using a K&N filter.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have been using a KAX filter with the carbon from amazon, Air flow seems much better than the OEM and the Fram that I had in previously. I change it every July and have been very happy. I will post the link below if anyone is interested.

I've used this one in the past that seems similar. It has pretty good airflow as well.

Users who are viewing this thread