5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coming back to RAM... though with a rebuilt title.... thoughts?

Barty88

Reaction score
I may be getting a VERY lightly used 2019 4x4 Crew Cab Laramie with all the bells and whistles for a great price.... because it has a rebuild title. Front end damage but no frame damage and nothing mechanical or engine damage. Online sites say to deduct 20%-40% of retail. This is a $61,000 truck with 8,000 miles on it, completely fixed I am getting for lkess than half of the sticker price.... but am nervous about it being a rebuild and value down the road. The repairs were done right and you cant tell a thing, looks fresh off the showroom floor. Thoughts?

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Now for me it would be easy as I keep my vehicles until the wheel falls off. I never buy with the thought of retaining resale and that bothers folks. But then again I don’t swap out vehicles every two years like some. :)

79 300

Reaction score
There are plenty of used 2019's out there that have NOT been wrecked. This one you are describing might look great now, but who knows what problems will arise later. I would avoid a rebuilt one and keep looking. I don't know where you are located, but in PA a vehicle will get a rebuilt title if it was "totaled", meaning the repairs cost more than book value, which for a 2019 Ram would be pretty high, meaning lots of damage.

papac0rn

Reaction score
It could be a good deal. I myself would be concerned with hidden damage to the electronics or harnesses. All you need is broken wire, loose connector or bad ground. I would highly recommend you get it verified by an independent mechanic with a very good scan tool. Have him check for codes and scrutinize the various modules.

Good luck with your decision.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

Jako

Reaction score
For me - Only if I knew the repair shop personally AND trusted them. Personal experience on a long term repair, paint is terrible. And if you trade it a dealer may not want to take it or you will get a beating. I know the BMW MC dealer would not take a rebuilt title in a trade.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If I was buying a "rebuilt" title 2019 Laramie; then it would have to be less than $25,000 (which would be about 60% off the MSRP you listed). Honestly, you could probably find a used one with less than 30,000 miles for mid to high 30's. Buying a rebuilt is a gamble that I probably would not take.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Check it out thoroughly and if you are one like me that usually keeps your vehicles for more than 10 years you will be coming out quite a bit ahead.

Barty88

Reaction score
Well, good feedback and thoughts so far. I was able to see several very good pics from 'before' and obviously all of the after ones. It definitely doesn't look like the engine or engine bay components other than radiator were compromised. I have an OBD scan tool myself I am bringing to the test drive. I am trying to make an appointment nearby where we are meeting at a dealership so I can have them look it over. Getting a bumper to bumper warranty through a site like Carchex is about $4k... a lot of dough, but something I may consider as well as it would cover pretty much everything but wear parts and body damage for $100 deductible and free rental car or towing. Also, amazed at how inexpensive stuff like engines and trannys are at LKQ for these newer trucks...

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I may be getting a VERY lightly used 2019 4x4 Crew Cab Laramie with all the bells and whistles for a great price.... because it has a rebuild title. Front end damage but no frame damage and nothing mechanical or engine damage. Online sites say to deduct 20%-40% of retail. This is a $61,000 truck with 8,000 miles on it, completely fixed I am getting for lkess than half of the sticker price.... but am nervous about it being a rebuild and value down the road. The repairs were done right and you cant tell a thing, looks fresh off the showroom floor. Thoughts?
What color is it and how's the paint match?
New metal is good as long as they used OEM materials, but keep in mind that Ram bodies are dipped in paint at the factory.

If you trust the adherence quality of the paint it probably is a good deal.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 030031 miles.

Barty88

Reaction score
If I was buying a "rebuilt" title 2019 Laramie; then it would have to be less than $25,000 (which would be about 60% off the MSRP you listed). Honestly, you could probably find a used one with less than 30,000 miles for mid to high 30's. Buying a rebuilt is a gamble that I probably would not take.

I have looked high and low and this also isnt just a "Laramie"... I even have a buddy who is a dealer and I have been bidding on low mileage trucks on Manheim at true wholesale pricing... literally bidding against other dealers who are buying to mark up and sell retail and they are all at least $35k unless you start looking at 2019's with 60k-80k miles or more on them. A nicely trimmed Laramie with features I want like the larger touch screen are wholesaling with 10k-30k miles on them for at least $37k. Chryselr financial had one that they repaired body damage on (I saw before and after pics) and the bidding stopped at $37,800 and was a 'No Sale' just yesterday. Respectfully... 60% off is near impossible. I saw what the IAAI auction price was for this after it was totalled and it was $23k. The retail value is $46k so 60% off of that is way less than the truck cost BEFORE repairs... that math simply doesn't make sense.

Barty88

Reaction score
What color is it and how's the paint match?
New metal is good as long as they used OEM materials, but keep in mind that Ram bodies are dipped in paint at the factory.

If you trust the adherence quality of the paint it probably is a good deal.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 030031 miles.

I didnt know that. Good to know... I do know when it was in an accident it started and drove but wasnt legal to actually drive on the street...the car had 3,800 miles. It now has over 8k miles since being fixed so I should be able to see 'something' if it were not a good paint job.... I hope. He did (according to him at least) use OEM parts, replaced what was needed and absolutely no bondo

pinkerton

Reaction score
I've purchased 5, late model, rebuilt title vehicles and chose not to do so when I bought my RAM bc I felt it was too much of an investment to have any issues.
Each of my rebuilt purchases were in the $10k - $24k range - and i got them all for about 75% of trade in with <4k miles. And all of them had a few problems that I had to deal with after and without warranty. I'll definitely buy rebuilt vehicles again

Every time i purchased one, i looked at edumunds.com "trade-in" value and paid about 75% of that #. All in all, they're great deals, but you need to buy it right.

Barty88

Reaction score
Pic's are way too small to make anything out.
I cant figure out how to make them big. buttons to the side say "thumbnail" and "full size" but clicking either results in the same small pics

Barty88

Reaction score
I've purchased 5, late model, rebuilt title vehicles and chose not to do so when I bought my RAM bc I felt it was too much of an investment to have any issues.
Each of my rebuilt purchases were in the $10k - $24k range - and i got them all for about 75% of trade in with <4k miles. And all of them had a few problems that I had to deal with after and without warranty. I'll definitely buy rebuilt vehicles again

Every time i purchased one, i looked at edumunds.com "trade-in" value and paid about 75% of that #. All in all, they're great deals, but you need to buy it right.

Thanks... Not sure how thats even possible here. Trade in Value is $34-$38k on kbb, even it were $40k for easy math you are talking buying a 2019 RAM full Crew Cab Laramie with options from an original sticker price of $61k for $10,000??? Fixed???. The insurance auction had multiple bidders and the winning bid was $22,300, before any repairs were made.

derp

Reaction score
I wouldn't depend on a rebuild titled car if it was free. Literally the only way I would consider a deal along those lines is with a spare weekender type car in the garage that would get me to work while this one is in the shop.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
You've gotten pretty much all negatives, tough call not really knowing how it was rebuilt. What's your insurance co. going to say? Mine refuses
anything "rebuilt".

I'd forget resale if I were you, nothing scares more people off than that, except for perhaps a flood branded title.

As long as you are happy with it after a sound/through inspection up on a lift from an experienced bodyman, and if you get it for say half the "clean" title used value, and (lots of and's and if's) you don't really care how the value ends up in a few years then it is an opportunity to get one cheap.
Does CARMAX really warranty all the drivetrain, electrical, safety, emissions etc components for that price? For how long? Most people don't have a lot "nice" to say about 3rd party warranty companies...

Here's what one site says about the ext plan "MaxCare": https://www.motor1.com/reviews/391847/carmax-warranty/
(Too long to post)

Here's a bad review about their ext warranty (Note - no idea if it is legit or not): https://bestcompany.com/car-warranty/company/car-max
tarstar_borderstar_borderstar_borderstar_border

Robert Price
September 5th, 2019 Aston Mills,
"I have purchased 4 cars from car max with great experience. My wife and I bought a car two years ago with the warranty. The warranty was such a great deal I decided to purchase another car a year later solely because of the warranty itself. THEN I had my first issue. Found out quickly It is third party with little not heart. My wife and I have not seen her car for over 3 months! They tell the mechanic where he can buy the parts from which will take time. Our mechanic had a faulty part and ford would not take it back. The warranty company suggested having the car taken to a ford dealer to verify the part. The ford dealer had the car for weeks and then said not being was wrong. The warranty company suggested taking it to another ford dealership. It took them several weeks to look at the part. When it appeared as if the part might be faulty the warranty company then flew out their inspector who “found the issue” to be with the original mechanic. Tons of finger pointing....warranty company asking where my car is etc.....I should not have to be involved with it after paying several grand for my warranty. I loved car max and literally look on their site every day. I have referred tons of family members, friends, and co-workers to their business. They are great at what they do but cannot support a company that supports a warranty company like that. I plan to get a lawyer and expose this to local news agency. The king of Prussia car max is a large dealership and people deserve to understand what they are getting into."
End of copied post

Me, I'd stay away but then I don't gamble on things. Who knows, could be the best thing since "sliced bread".

Barty88

Reaction score
My insurance company is fine with it as long as all the repairs are made. I am having a reputable Authorized RAM dealer look at it first and the seller was quick to accommodate me wherever I wanted to take it. I feel like its certainly a bit of a gamble, but seeing the damage and knowing it wasn't a catastrophic roll over or frame damaged truck or a flood, having an independent third party say it started and ran and even drove with that bad front end only damage.... that if I have a licensed RAM tech crawl all over it for a half hour, check codes, test everything testable and there are no red flags... its worth it. Its absolutely my dream truck... about the only two options it DIDNT come with that I care about would be the E-torque engine and the bed package (which I can do aftermarket). Still have to clear the hurdle of the dealership inspection, but if I see nothing and they cant find anything wrong, I'll be happy and hope I am lucky.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have looked high and low and this also isnt just a "Laramie"... I even have a buddy who is a dealer and I have been bidding on low mileage trucks on Manheim at true wholesale pricing... literally bidding against other dealers who are buying to mark up and sell retail and they are all at least $35k unless you start looking at 2019's with 60k-80k miles or more on them. A nicely trimmed Laramie with features I want like the larger touch screen are wholesaling with 10k-30k miles on them for at least $37k. Chryselr financial had one that they repaired body damage on (I saw before and after pics) and the bidding stopped at $37,800 and was a 'No Sale' just yesterday. Respectfully... 60% off is near impossible. I saw what the IAAI auction price was for this after it was totalled and it was $23k. The retail value is $46k so 60% off of that is way less than the truck cost BEFORE repairs... that math simply doesn't make sense.
It sounds like you have made up your mind. Just for reference, my Laramie sticker price was $55,530 and I paid $43,500 brand new: 22% off sticker. So, don't go into it thinking that the first buyer paid the MSRP. Personally, I have never bought a rebuilt; nor will I ever. However, if you feel comfortable with it then you should go for it. I didn't even know that insurance companies would provide full coverage for rebuilt vehicles. I would look at the fine print on that warranty before you throw money down on it as well. Warranty companies are in business to make money; I can't imagine them covering a rebuilt vehicle. Good luck. They really are pretty good trucks and I'm sure that you will enjoy having one.

Users who are viewing this thread