5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Color off

Ericw

Reaction score
Anyone have the cheek panels under the headlights seem slightly off color? My truck is bright white and the panels seem ivory

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
That's funny, my truck is ivory white and the "cheek" panels seem more on the bright white side. Wanna trade? LOL (JK)
I noticed a slight difference on my last truck, but no one else I showed it to could really see it. I thought it was just me being picky. I've read other threads where people complained about this, and posted pics. The difference was more noticeable on those trucks. I'm pretty sure it has to do with plastic versus metal parts, and how they take the paint.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Seems that owners of white trucks have had the most issues in this regard, either with the fender 'cheeks', wheel arch flares, or cab/bed differences.

Ericw

Reaction score
I’ve heard it’s the plastic as well, but none of the other plastics seem to suffer this problem, wondering if anyone has had them repainted?

TheeCleveland

Reaction score
I am a former auto refinisher of 20+ years, those panels will always be a different color, simply because they are different substrates, go look at any white or pearl/metaliic color on any vehicle with plastic bumpers, they will be a slightly different shade of whatever color simply because it's the difference in plastic/smc/fiberglass vs metal ... it's annoying as hell but it's the truth. - just my 2¢ worth

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am a former auto refinisher of 20+ years, those panels will always be a different color, simply because they are different substrates, go look at any white or pearl/metaliic color on any vehicle with plastic bumpers, they will be a slightly different shade of whatever color simply because it's the difference in plastic/smc/fiberglass vs metal ... it's annoying as hell but it's the truth. - just my 2¢ worth

Plus usually the trim pieces are painted separate of the truck so while they may use the same paint code it is not the same batch of paint.

TheeCleveland

Reaction score
Plus usually the trim pieces are painted separate of the truck.

That’s true as well but that’s just adding to the main issue that the different substrate will throw a different hue and cause a slightly mismatch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread