5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Color me Impressed - My MPG

azzx

Reaction score
This is a kind of 2 cents review and also, expressing my amazement on how impressed I am with the MPG on my truck.
Current mileage: 6021
How old: 11 months. See truck details in my signature.
Attached image is from today. I am impressed with the MPG because I fully understand that I bought a 6000lb+ truck with aerodynamics of a cinder block. I moved from a Land Cruiser that never went over 15 MPG regardless if it was going downhill with a tail wind!
I have owned many full size SUVs and trucks and none of them ever passed 15 MPG. I own Honda Ridgeline that does not come close to the RAM and it is ¾ size.
Commuting to work: 15 miles round trip. 80% stop and go. I get 14.5 to 16 MPG
So far one long trip (PHX to LA) Mostly flat desert. Avg. speed 80. AVG MPG: 19.5 (hand calculated) – BTW on my truck the diff between the car and hand clac. is 1MPG and I don’t care about the diff.
I live in Tempe AZ and have a vacation house in Overgaard. Tempe is at 1280 ft and my house up there is at 6800ft. 143 miles door to door. 60% of the road going there is up hills some steep. At 75MPH avg. I get 17.8 MPG going up and, same speed coming down I get 22- 24 MPG. I get 26 MPG if I keep the speed at 65MPH
Quick review:
So far impressed with ride, handling, comfort, etc. etc.
Not impressed with:
AC – mine is good (after my dealer figured it out last august. I get 48 from driver vent and high 30s from passenger side.
Buggy Uconnect – I don’t have as many of the issues with the nav system as other members have. Shame on FCA for charging us a lot of $ for a system that is not fully functional.
I have the loud click and occasional rattle on start up at random.
Overall this is the best full-size vehicle I have owned. My build date is before Christmas and I know Santa's elves were flying around Sterling Heights plant at that time so i am have been blessed not having many of the issues that other members have. Time and miles will tell!
I wish FCA will come up with a front camera kit for this truck

BTW: This is my average going up the mountain and on the way back
IMG_20191111_103305701.jpg

Last edited:

Damion

Reaction score
If you do a bit of reading, these trucks have the best aerodynamics in a truck. Almost as good as a car will have. I can't remember the exact numbers but for a full sized truck its incredibly low. A lot of time was spent in the wind tunnel making alight adjustments to little things. Theres a video out there somewhere that shows this.

As for your ac, what was it that your dealer figured out / did to get your vent temps lower? im sure it would be of interest to more than a few ppl here.

azzx

Reaction score
RAM is 0.357 which is pretty good. no info on others
Tempe RAM is my dealer. Link to the original post. looking at it again, I was getting 30s from the passenger side

GerryS

Reaction score
Regarding the noise at startup: If I start it holding the brake, I get some noise. If I release the brake just after pushing the start button, no noise.

Cheers
Gerry

R

Rob5589

Regarding the noise at startup: If I start it holding the brake, I get some noise. If I release the brake just after pushing the start button, no noise.

Cheers
Gerry
Weird, mine does the same thing. I back into my driveway which is sloped pretty good and almost never get it then. Almost always on flat ground.

Users who are viewing this thread