5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Collecting water mystery

boldram

Reaction score
2019 1500. When parked for a few days on a street by the curb so that truck is is not leveled, slightly tilted to the right side ( as road curves ).
When I start driving I can hear water rolling from right side to left side and gushing out from underneath a drive side, rain water collects somewhere between cabin and engine bay.
Drives me crazy, looked underneath cant really see anything. Considerable amount of water like a quarter of gallon. I m afraid it creates rust.
truck should have sufficient drainage regardless if slightly tilted to the right or left side ?? and where all that water collects ?? Engine bay is dry, no water gets into the interior. I suspect it has something to do with air vents and down below.

I appreciate any and all help

John Jensen

Reaction score
If your 2019 has the new hood they are notorious for holding water that gets in via the hood emblems. Raise your hood, if water flows out, that is the problem. The fix seems to be resealing the emblems or living with it.

asgadf/lkjnadsfg

Reaction score
I have a 2021 Rebel and that hood collects water in it like a fish tank. I can hear it rolling and sloshing every time I turn. There's a technical service bulletin that tells the dealership how to fix it, but my dealer didn't read it, so they just took the heat shied off the underside of the hood, tearing it in the process, and tried to clear the drain hoses/holes that are apparently under there. They didn't tell me they tore the heat shield, I found that on my own, which required another trip to the dealer to fix. They also didn't fix the problem, so the next time I took the technical service bulletin with me and they said something like "Oh, yeah, we didn't know about that..." They applied the recommended fix, and my hood still fills with water when it rains. I've asked them if replacing the hood is the next step, but they never pick up the phone or return calls or texts, so I'm in limbo.

Mine drains as I drive, and I can see the trail of water behind me on the street as it does so.

Here's some info:

Last edited:

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 2021 Rebel and that hood collects water in it like a fish tank. I can hear it rolling and sloshing every time I turn. There's a technical service bulletin that tells the dealership how to fix it, but my dealer didn't read it, so they just took the heat shied off the underside of the hood, tearing it in the process, and tried to clear the drain hoses/holes that are apparently under there. They didn't tell me they tore the heat shield, I found that on my own, which required another trip to the dealer to fix. They also didn't fix the problem, so the next time I took the technical service bulletin with me and they said something like "Oh, yeah, we didn't know about that..." They applied the recommended fix, and my hood still fills with water when it rains. I've asked them if replacing the hood is the next step, but they never pick up the phone or return calls or texts, so I'm in limbo.

Mine drains as I drive, and I can see the trail of water behind me on the street as it does so.

Here's some info:

That doesn't apply to your vehicle, a search for star cases or tsb by vin would not show up. Replacing nameplates is the biggest reason for water in the hood.

Snwjnky

Reaction score
Watching this one.
Mine definitely sounds like water behind the dash sloshing.
I'll check the hood next time.

boldram

Reaction score
So i checked behind badges and there are two large holes so water wont collect it least unlikely. what i found is the following

My truck is slanted to the right when parked under a tree so i am guessing that debris gets washed over to the right side and right side corner collects water under windshield cowl cavity. This is why when truck is leveled i hear water slashing to the left side and drains.

Morenar

Reaction score
2019 1500. When parked for a few days on a street by the curb so that truck is is not leveled, slightly tilted to the right side ( as road curves ).
When I start driving I can hear water rolling from right side to left side and gushing out from underneath a drive side, rain water collects somewhere between cabin and engine bay.
Drives me crazy, looked underneath cant really see anything. Considerable amount of water like a quarter of gallon. I m afraid it creates rust.
truck should have sufficient drainage regardless if slightly tilted to the right or left side ?? and where all that water collects ?? Engine bay is dry, no water gets into the interior. I suspect it has something to do with air vents and down below.

I appreciate any and all help
Do you have the night edition black vents on your hood? they are supposed to drain under your hood and instead may be stuffed up.

Snwjnky

Reaction score
So i checked behind badges and there are two large holes so water wont collect it least unlikely. what i found is the following

My truck is slanted to the right when parked under a tree so i am guessing that debris gets washed over to the right side and right side corner collects water under windshield cowl cavity. This is why when truck is leveled i hear water slashing to the left side and drains.
Perfect. That's the info I needed in that write-up.
Thanks!

boldram

Reaction score
SOLVED !!! water trapped under cowl due to debris blocking passenger side drain so when parked tilted water collects on passenger side under cowl.
HINT: DO NOT NEED TO REMOVE wiper blades !!! remove clips holding cowl and lift up, enough room to get to corner drains and USE weed whacker line to go thru the tubes pushing debris right out from under the vehicle.

Snwjnky

Reaction score
Just finished mine today.
Yup, debris blocking the drains mostly on the passenger side.
There are rubber flaps on the back side of the drains. Thought about ripping those out, but didn't.
Too late, already removed the blades :rolleyes:.
Thanks everyone.

boldram

Reaction score
Remove cowl clips/pins lift it up wedge with rolled up towel, NO need to remove wiper arms. Use hair drier to worm up aluminum shield glue gets softer lift up gently, now you have access to the cavity where water accumulates, in my case there was almost no debris, just some slime even though i parked under a tree. Drainage holes are pretty big use weed whacker plastic line snake it thru, take a hose and wash off any slime accumulated, stick hose agonists drainage holes and blast it thru. Took me about 20 minutes.

Attachments

• IMG_4112.jpg
    IMG_4112.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 30

dprof

Reaction score
Same thing happened to me. Dealer said it was an A pillar leak and pointed me to a Star Case S1923000026. First they said they needed to order parts, then it was they can not get the parts because they will not ship them to California, Oh and it is not covered under my extended warranty. They actually suggested I take it to a body shop for repair. Weeks passed and I had a severe electrical failure while traveling, 100 miles from my destination, 4:30 on a Sunday afternoon in a small town church parking lot (rest stop for the dog). Later the dealership said it dropped about 30 codes. Being desperate I limped through town to see how bad things were and to my relief everything cleared up enough for me to finish the journey.

Symptoms: Water sloshing sound behind the dash, water draining from air conditioner drain onto exhaust while turning, wet cabin air filter, water dripping from passenger side under dash onto floor mats, humid air coming from defrost fogging driver side windshield.

The dealer diagnosis did not seem right to me so I researched this forum and found these posts. I forwarded this information to the dealership I was working with and they cleared the cowl drains. Problem solved!

Thanks all for the great posts.

Users who are viewing this thread