5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cold Weather Package Grill Cover

rorischak

Reaction score
Ok, I admit I am new to owning a ED or any other make with a block heater. I have the cold weather package and still don't know where the plug exists on the truck (but I will be looking here in the near future. That said, I am interested in those folks who use the grill cover for cold weather. Here in South East Pennsylvania we don't get horrbily cold weather BUT I do snowmobile and are planning a trip to Maine this year and I may want to use the grill cover. Here are my questions...

1. At what temperature do you normally install this cover?
2. Is there are concern with overheating if you are driving OR Towing?
3. Is this something you take on and off several times throughout winter or just put on in the winter and leave it on?

Thanks!

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I used a cover when I owned an ED (2015 Tradesman). I didn't tow during winter, but I left it on until spring time. I never saw anything even close to overheating. Diesels love heat, and run most efficiently when they are up to temp. I never ran without it in the winter, so I'm not sure how much of a difference it made for me. Average winter temps where I live are right at or just below freezing, so I doubt it was necessary for me. But since I had it I used it.

JoeEcodiesel

Reaction score
I recently got
82216061AA​
2019-2020 RAM 1500 DT 5th Gen Diesel Cold Weather Cover Laramie/Limited OEM Mopar​
$88.88​

At first they sent me 82216061AB and it was one cover for just the upper grille, I requested they send the AA as ordered and it was the same upper cover with an additional lower snap on cover. Now I have no idea if i need one or both or if either is even necessary where I live. Guess I'll hold onto them for now and try them out when the temps get below 20 on a regular basis. Also worth mentioning, I noticed the previous gen covers secured under the hood, this one does not and could be removed by anyone. That's slightly concerning.

If anyone has some more insight on the matter it would be really appreciated!

Wrecktal

Reaction score
Ok, I admit I am new to owning a ED or any other make with a block heater. I have the cold weather package and still don't know where the plug exists on the truck (but I will be looking here in the near future. That said, I am interested in those folks who use the grill cover for cold weather. Here in South East Pennsylvania we don't get horrbily cold weather BUT I do snowmobile and are planning a trip to Maine this year and I may want to use the grill cover. Here are my questions...

1. At what temperature do you normally install this cover?
2. Is there are concern with overheating if you are driving OR Towing?
3. Is this something you take on and off several times throughout winter or just put on in the winter and leave it on?

Thanks!
So the difference between the cold weather group and just getting the block heater is the grill cover?

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online