5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cold weather killing mpg?

rtpassini

Reaction score
First diesel, first winter with it. Doing the exact same 3 hour trip to my cabin, I have since dropped 6+ Mpg. I've reset the average counter to disregard idle warm up times.
I know it's not related, but it's strange this all came about right after my first oil change. (Dealer does) My battery warning indicator started coming on as well.

tom318

Reaction score
First diesel, first winter with it. Doing the exact same 3 hour trip to my cabin, I have since dropped 6+ Mpg. I've reset the average counter to disregard idle warm up times.
I know it's not related, but it's strange this all came about right after my first oil change. (Dealer does) My battery warning indicator started coming on as well.
Once the stations switch to winter blend diesel mpg goes down a good amount. I'm down probably 3-5mpg depending on how much idling i do. From my experience they typically do this early/mid November.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
The dense cold air may be cause further fuel consumption as well. Not sure how the ED measure air fuel ratio, but cold air has more oxygen molecules, so it may need more fuel as well.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes your mileage will drop a fair share with winter blend diesel.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

mrfreon

Reaction score
I typically get 30 MPG during the summer and less than 25 MPG during the winter due to winter blend diesel and colder air entering the engine.

Fillet1

Reaction score
I was averaging 28 with mostly highway driving and limited around town stuff. got the truck in the summer. It’s down to 25 -26 ish now

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How does one know if they are buying winter blend fuel?

I'm in the middle of South Carolina. I would not expect anybody around here to have winter blend fuel. It doesn't get that cold here, even at the coldest time of the year.

On the other hand, if the fuel is coming from somewhere that also supplied stations further north, then maybe it's winter blend just because that's all there is.

So how do I know what I'm getting?

2021EcoDiesel

Reaction score
How does one know if they are buying winter blend fuel?

I'm in the middle of South Carolina. I would not expect anybody around here to have winter blend fuel. It doesn't get that cold here, even at the coldest time of the year.

On the other hand, if the fuel is coming from somewhere that also supplied stations further north, then maybe it's winter blend just because that's all there is.

So how do I know what I'm getting?
I'm not going to guarantee this information as it's just my own personal experience in the Northeast US, but when I take fuel deliveries the winter stuff often has less of a tint to it. I have a 1000 gallon tank on property at my work that I've fitted a clear water separator bowl to. Summer fuel is light yellow/green and winter fuel is simply lighter in color. My biggest clue was always the drop in mileage. I see 25 mpg all summer long out of my truck and then once November hits I'm getting 22-23 on my normal commutes.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think the EPA controls the fuel delivery requirements. They do it by some convoluted methodology that is as bad as you'd think it would be. AIUI, the fuel trucks cannot be used for different fuel blends without being cleaned out, raising the cost of delivery and the overall headache factor.

Just because you're in SC does not mean the EPA hasn't determined whether or not, or when, you'd need winter blend. (All for your own good, of course. Oh, and for the greater good, too. /s)

Psylence340

Reaction score
I'm not going to guarantee this information as it's just my own personal experience in the Northeast US, but when I take fuel deliveries the winter stuff often has less of a tint to it. I have a 1000 gallon tank on property at my work that I've fitted a clear water separator bowl to. Summer fuel is light yellow/green and winter fuel is simply lighter in color. My biggest clue was always the drop in mileage. I see 25 mpg all summer long out of my truck and then once November hits I'm getting 22-23 on my normal commutes.
Wow, I'm wondering how I'm only getting 19-20 mpg?...I am running 35s but thats still too big a difference in my mpg compared to others to account for

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ditto. Winter blend has affected my mpg, significantly, on both EcoDiesel and VW TDi.

2021EcoDiesel

Reaction score
Wow, I'm wondering how I'm only getting 19-20 mpg?...I am running 35s but thats still too big a difference in my mpg compared to others to account for
I don't hyper mile the truck, but I also don't stomp on the pedal after every red light. My tires roll out pretty well as they are all terrain so they don't have the rolling resistance of say a Mud Terrain. I'm Curious, has your speedometer been calibrated? Also I notice you're running 35 X 12.5's that extra width will definitely knock down mileage too. My current setup is only a 35 X 11.25.

rammin03

Reaction score
I drive to Wisconsin every November to relax on my land and rid it of great tasting Deer. I always lose MPG and fuel filters get eaten. Its the winter blend in conjunction with cold weather. Always plan on crap MPG and fuel filter replacement when returning to normal fuel.

Users who are viewing this thread