5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cold weather care?

Mikeyplates

Reaction score
Hey guys I got 2020 ecodiesel I live in NY and I was curious what’s the typical protocol for the winter months I been looking and got a bunch of mixed answers..anyone know out there?

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I live in NH above 1000' and it gets pretty cold. In the 5.75 years I've owned an Ecodiesel I've never had to plug it in. I've also never "had" to put on the winter front though I would for comfort.

In the northeast you don't really *need* to do anything but the winter front can make things more comfortable.

Mikeyplates

Reaction score
I live in NH above 1000' and it gets pretty cold. In the 5.75 years I've owned an Ecodiesel I've never had to plug it in. I've also never "had" to put on the winter front though I would for comfort.

In the northeast you don't really *need* to do anything but the winter front can make things more comfortable.
Thanks buddy

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Unlike the gen 2 the gen 3 engine doesn't require the winter cover..the manual simply says one is available. I believe the Gen 2 has issues with intercoolers icing in cold temps.

I've driven mine in -10°C and it heats up just as quickly as a gas engine. Zero issues starting as well.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Unlike the gen 2 the gen 3 engine doesn't require the winter cover..the manual simply says one is available. I believe the Gen 2 has issues with intercoolers icing in cold temps.

I've driven mine in -10°C and it heats up just as quickly as a gas engine. Zero issues starting as well.
Good info.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Current state of my Ecodiesel.

Attachments

• IMG-20201229-WA0002.jpeg
    IMG-20201229-WA0002.jpeg
    104.4 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How bout def freezing up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hunter1234

Reaction score
Living in the Siberia of the Midwest, I have never had an issue with my 2016 ED or 2020 ED (though the new one has not gone through a full winter) and 7-15 days straight of 10 to 40 degree below zero weather. I do have the winter covers and have it on both trucks. I would not drive with out it as for me it helps in 2 things, it prevents snow from packing it in the front grill while driving in snow, it keeps the engine warmer both when driving and for a bit after you shut the engine down. Warm ups are faster, which is better for the engine, having driven Diesels for many years I am a fan of the covers, I see it as cheap insurance in nasty weather. I know the active grills will provide some aspect of heat retention but I am not as confident in them as a good cover, if we did not experience long spells of very cold weather may not be as big of an issue. As we are getting 8-10 inches of snow once again today, I'll get to have fun with the 4 wheel drive on the freeway :)

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How bout def freezing up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I believe on very cold mornings the def is deactivated for 60+ miles to allow time for th heater in the tank to thaw it out. I don't remember the exact distance or time but it's a non issue.

gorilla57

Reaction score
Do all of the DT generation trucks have the moving front grill shutters? If so, then I can see why there isn't a "need" for a grill cover. It would only be needed to keep snow from stopping those up as the snow melts and freezes.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do all of the DT generation trucks have the moving front grill shutters? If so, then I can see why there isn't a "need" for a grill cover. It would only be needed to keep snow from stopping those up as the snow melts and freezes.
Yes I believe so

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All the Ecod's since 2014 have the active grille shutters. The reason there was a campaign for the Gen 2 engine was because of intercooler freezing and apparently they fixed that with the Gen3. Even so the winter front provides an amount of comfort over not installing one and while I haven't needed one yet with my Gen 3, I would use it occasionally with the Gen 2 if prolonged single digit °F and below was predicted. Even at -25F I never plugged it in though.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
All the Ecod's since 2014 have the active grille shutters. The reason there was a campaign for the Gen 2 engine was because of intercooler freezing and apparently they fixed that with the Gen3. Even so the winter front provides an amount of comfort over not installing one and while I haven't needed one yet with my Gen 3, I would use it occasionally with the Gen 2 if prolonged single digit °F and below was predicted. Even at -25F I never plugged it in though.
Pretty impressive that you’ve not had to plug it in in -25 deg! How long do the glow plugs take in those temps?

Users who are viewing this thread