5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cold start idle problem

GM convert

Reaction score
Hello. I see some people are having issues with the cold start idle. The truck almost kills then it revs way to keep from killing. It’s happens a few times then comes out of it. Mine only happens at first start in the mornings. Has anyone found a fix yet? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turkeybird56

Reaction score
Sometimes has slight idle issues, but calms down quick. Sometimes has the oil drain back initial Hemi tick due to drainback known issue on the 5.7's...

CAVEAT: Cold is a relative term. Not go below 81 degrees last night, so not a "cold" start by ne means.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hello. I see some people are having issues with the cold start idle. The truck almost kills then it revs way to keep from killing. It’s happens a few times then comes out of it. Mine only happens at first start in the mornings. Has anyone found a fix yet? Thanks.

Yes. I had the same issue. Was fixed by dealer PCM flash re: TSB 21-009-20.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 038937 miles.

GM convert

Reaction score
It doesn’t act up if I press the start button twice, then put my foot on the break and press the start button.

GM convert

Reaction score
Unfortunately it’s still acting up. My dealer didn’t do the tsb update you had done, they did this one. 18-074-20. It didn’t fix it.

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have an appointment next week at the dealer. Now that it’s gotten chilly in the mornings, the first start of the day, it idles very rough for about 15-20 seconds, revs up then idles smooth.

Users who are viewing this thread