5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cold Air Intake for Hemi V8 w/ etorque

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Well there you have it folks. The air goes into the intake all by itself and the filter pushes it. There isn't any electronic system that takes the fuel/air mixture and forces it into the intake by computer control. It's 1965 and it's all done through the carburator. I'll be damned.
How the Engine Control Module Works
It’s called a carburetor. Jeez, learn something!

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
AEM dry filter and stock exhaust. I'm easy in my 50's. I may get a muffler but it's been almost 3 years. Lol!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well there you have it folks. The air goes into the intake all by itself and the filter pushes it. There isn't any electronic system that takes the fuel/air mixture and forces it into the intake by computer control. It's 1965 and it's all done through the carburator. I'll be damned.
There isn't any electronic system that forces any air into the engine by computer control. Unless you are running an electric blower to force air in.

The engine is an air pump. It takes in what the vacuum, caused by piston moving up and down in cylinder, will allow. The computer controls spark and fuel. Once the explosion happens, it's all mechanical motion that sucks the air in. Or in boosted applications the rotation of the turbine wheel forcing the air in. Either way, it's mechanical and not computer controlled airflow

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The computer controls throttle body.
Throttle body is a butterfly damper.
Dampers regulate air.
Therefore, Computer controls air.

Not to be corn-fused with some diesels that don't have a throttle body.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yup, the TB controls air flow in. You just want want the filter to be the bottleneck when you open up the throttle, which it won’t be on a stock hemi.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The computer controls throttle body.
Throttle body is a butterfly damper.
Dampers regulate air.
Therefore, Computer controls air.

Not to be corn-fused with some diesels that don't have a throttle body.
I'm sorry, I thought we were talking about WOT which is the only time any CAI will make a difference, and only time you would see a difference in performance, with nothing else changed. And even then, it's only "computer controlled" based on throttle input by driver. Not based on what the computer thinks the engine needs for specific airflow. The computer itself doesn't regulate the airflow, it calculates the airflow, based on throttle position, manifold pressures and air temp, in order to control fuel and spark. Then only time it may regulate throttle position outside the preset tables for pedal position, is in emergency situations where one of the safety nannies such as ESP/TCS kicks in and it wants to pull power.

Velocity

Reaction score
I just removed the S&B intake off of my E-Torque. It actually made my exhaust louder, I cant tell you if it made the horsepower gains they claim, but it definitely made the engine breathe better. With the factory exhaust I only noticed the intake was a bit louder, I was running the intake with the square cutout removed to make it louder. Then I installed the B2 oval cut and clamp muffler and didn’t notice any difference in sound from the intake. Later, I decided I wanted the exhaust louder so I got the AWE Catback. When I installed the catback the intake got a lot louder, I actually had to put the square cutout back in the intake box to quiet it down. The intake was quieter but I still had some light “drone” from the exhaust, which it is not supposed to do, so I removed the intake and now there is no more drone. And the exhaust is about 4 decibels quieter inside the truck.

So the S&B definitely made my truck “breathe” better. I’m going to be posting the S&B intake for sale on here in a few days, after I can get some pictures.

Philth

Reaction score
Equals computer.

Speed density. The upstream widebands add fuel as necessary. If the restriction is less (more oxygen), more fuel will be added to compensate.

frisby5

Reaction score
I just removed the S&B intake off of my E-Torque. It actually made my exhaust louder, I cant tell you if it made the horsepower gains they claim, but it definitely made the engine breathe better. With the factory exhaust I only noticed the intake was a bit louder, I was running the intake with the square cutout removed to make it louder. Then I installed the B2 oval cut and clamp muffler and didn’t notice any difference in sound from the intake. Later, I decided I wanted the exhaust louder so I got the AWE Catback. When I installed the catback the intake got a lot louder, I actually had to put the square cutout back in the intake box to quiet it down. The intake was quieter but I still had some light “drone” from the exhaust, which it is not supposed to do, so I removed the intake and now there is no more drone. And the exhaust is about 4 decibels quieter inside the truck.

So the S&B definitely made my truck “breathe” better. I’m going to be posting the S&B intake for sale on here in a few days, after I can get some pictures.
Im going to install the AWE catback , i just have the stock air box. Did you put your stock one back in?

Users who are viewing this thread