5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coilover Suggestions

Louhound88

Reaction score
I've been playing with the idea of replacing front and rear shocks to improve my ride. Ride is pretty smooth and the stock suspension absorbs bumps pretty well, but with larger/heavier tires now I have an issue with my front and rear trying to slide and washout when I hit rough bumps at speed. Never a problem before with stock tires, but new tires are much heavier so you can tell the unsprung weight of the tires is more than the shocks can handle.

In the past I had a 2016 silverado and had similar issues. I went with Fox 2.0 coilovers in front and bilstein 6100s in rear. Rear ride was still rough, but front end was very smooth and it handled the heavier tires with ease.

I like fox but i'm curious if there are any decent or cheaper alternatives to fox 2.0's. Anyone have any suggestions?

mp1

Reaction score
I've been playing with the idea of replacing front and rear shocks to improve my ride. Ride is pretty smooth and the stock suspension absorbs bumps pretty well, but with larger/heavier tires now I have an issue with my front and rear trying to slide and washout when I hit rough bumps at speed. Never a problem before with stock tires, but new tires are much heavier so you can tell the unsprung weight of the tires is more than the shocks can handle.

In the past I had a 2016 silverado and had similar issues. I went with Fox 2.0 coilovers in front and bilstein 6100s in rear. Rear ride was still rough, but front end was very smooth and it handled the heavier tires with ease.

I like fox but i'm curious if there are any decent or cheaper alternatives to fox 2.0's. Anyone have any suggestions?
What do you do with your truck? Off-road or mostly pavement?

I previously had Bilstein 5100s on all four corners. Best bang for your buck being essentially an OE replacement with aftermarket performance. Ride quality on pavement was night and day better over the OE shocks.

I believe the Bilstein 6112/5160 combo is the most comparable to the 2.0s that Fox has. Either will work for you. I drove a F-150 with them on and it was a nice ride. But you really only need them for off-roading performance. If you just drive on pavement, the 5100s are completely adequate.

Users who are viewing this thread