5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coil overs vs spacers

Fbird

Reaction score
Looking at a 4" lift for 35"s spring suspension....what/if is the advtages of the FOX coilovers vs spacers on struts

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, you can't get 4 inches out of struts. About 3 is all you can get. If you want 4 you need a lift. That will include a diff drop. Fox coil overs will give you a much better ride and keep your wheels planted but you'll need uca's as well.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
He's probably looking at one of those kits that gives you a new spindle but just a big spacer to go on top of your stock struts, like a Pro Comp.

If so, in addition to the improved ride & control, the foxes will give you better suspension travel/articulation.

Fbird

Reaction score
^^^^^^ that was the $1500 answer...... so the coil overs DO extend the TRAVEL RANGE . We are Boy Scouts....we go do chit....in places that....MAY not be accessible to average folk. I don't RAISE a truck and put 35"s on it for LOOKS and to lower my milage....i raise it and put TIRES on it for traction and clearance for where I WANT TO go!

and YES was looking at a REAL 4" lift but they still only add a spacer on the strut so travel is still....XXX amount.

thanks guys!

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^^^^^ that was the $1500 answer...... so the coil overs DO extend the TRAVEL RANGE . We are Boy Scouts....we go do chit....in places that....MAY not be accessible to average folk. I don't RAISE a truck and put 35"s on it for LOOKS and to lower my milage....i raise it and put TIRES on it for traction and clearance for where I WANT TO go!

and YES was looking at a REAL 4" lift but they still only add a spacer on the strut so travel is still....XXX amount.

thanks guys!
Sure. Forgot to mention that the Fox 2.0's are only going to give you 2 inches. But that is still enough to get 35's on. Good on you for leading those scouts.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score

thanks guys!
there's no 4" lift without needing spacers, which mess with your travel and geometry.
my advise would be do the Fox 2.5 DSC Extended travel that gives you 2-3" of lift, and is offroad performance orientated. Granted, you'll still need UCA and rear springs and trimming too. very aggressive trimming.

see my thread for details:

Gotsboost

Reaction score
I got about 3.5 out of my icons adjusting them. People hate on icons but I have 15k on mine and I beat the **** out of them. This is 35’s for tires.

5545684D-175E-4F28-AC39-44BC45620BE5.jpeg

mrclortho

Reaction score
I am running the Readylift 3.5" spacer kit that retains the stock shocks (3.5" front, 2" rear). It includes UCA's and drives likes stock, so there was no improvement in performance other than more ground clearance. I am running 35s. So far, the kit has been what I was looking for at the price.

However, if you are looking for performance, a spacer kit is not the way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread