5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clunking rear hub-axle lateral movement

LVLAaron

Reaction score
@Scram1500 's videos are now gone, but I started noticing this recently (2019 ram, 26,000miles, no mods) I'd noticed a clunk from the rear when turning onto my road which goes through a bit of a dip so it flexes the suspension a bit. Went out gave the wheels a shake down and found the passenger rear giving me some noise. Removed the tire, cleaned everything up, double checked torque before and after (just had tires replaced, though maybe the shop missed something)

Anyway, here's what I've got going on:

To the dealer we go. :(

LVLAaron

Reaction score
Dealer told me they're replacing the rear carrier. - also that some lateral movement at the wheel like that is "normal". That seems wrong... but we'll see.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Spec. calls for 0.13 mm (0.005 in.) - 0.38 mm (0.015 in.) for axle shaft end play.
If it does not fall with in that range, then it needs to be re-shimmed.
Dealer told me they're replacing the rear carrier. - also that some lateral movement at the wheel like that is "normal". That seems wrong... but we'll see.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I never measured the play, but all seems well 21k later. Some play is expected with floating axles

LVLAaron

Reaction score
Spec. calls for 0.13 mm (0.005 in.) - 0.38 mm (0.015 in.) for axle shaft end play.
If it does not fall with in that range, then it needs to be re-shimmed.

Thx for the info. I didn't gauge it but it was probably 20+ thou.

LVLAaron

Reaction score
Got the truck back today. Replaced the rear carrier and it's bearings.

dealer1.png

I don't think it made a difference however... I understand tolerance in parts but this cannot be right, can it? If I take a quick/hard left or right turn I hear/feel two clunks, and I imagine it's the axle shafts moving to the extreme left or right. This video is after the dealer trip.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Got the truck back today. Replaced the rear carrier and it's bearings.

View attachment 120100

I don't think it made a difference however... I understand tolerance in parts but this cannot be right, can it? If I take a quick/hard left or right turn I hear/feel two clunks, and I imagine it's the axle shafts moving to the extreme left or right. This video is after the dealer trip.

That looks like a lot of movement.
I would take off the wheel and caliper assembly and measure the amount of play in order to have a solid number, just me being me.

LVLAaron

Reaction score
I'm a machinist by professional hobby so I certainly could, but I am not interested in taking the caliper off. :)

LVLAaron

Reaction score
Took a drive with the dealer driveline mechanic. When sitting in the passenger seat the clunk I'm hearing/feeling is immediately obvious that it's right front and not the rear.

He assured me that the play in the rear is absolutely normal - I've seen that said a few places around the forum as well. I'll pull the front wheel off and I bet I find something between the wheel and hub face and the wheel is rocking on hard turns.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Check the sway bar links, I think there was an associated TSB

LVLAaron

Reaction score

There's a page 2-3 from the end of that thread (https://gopro.com/v/kVREKwMqyNo7N) and that's the exact sound I'm having.

There's an updated TSB (https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10162537-9999.pdf)

Users who are viewing this thread