5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clunk sound sometimes when starting truck

2021REBEL

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have a brand new 2021 ram rebel with less then 2,500km on it. Sometimes when starting the truck it sounds like there is a clunking sound. Other times there is no sound at all and it starts and sounds as it should.

Not sure if a clunk is the right way to describe it but that’s the best I can think of lol.

Anyone have any idea what this may be? Is it normal?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Wow, mine makes some odd noises when I first start it and it is idling. The way you said ?clunk? makes me think, I can't discribe it either. From outside, mine sounds like it is coming from under the truck by the seats.

2021REBEL

Reaction score
Wow, mine makes some odd noises when I first start it and it is idling. The way you said ?clunk? makes me think, I can't discribe it either. From outside, mine sounds like it is coming from under the truck by the seats.

Yeah I am not sure how to describe the sound but it doesn’t sound right.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have a brand new 2021 ram rebel with less then 2,500km on it. Sometimes when starting the truck it sounds like there is a clunking sound. Other times there is no sound at all and it starts and sounds as it should.

Not sure if a clunk is the right way to describe it but that’s the best I can think of lol.

Anyone have any idea what this may be? Is it normal?

Thanks in advance!

Just when starting? Your starter solenoid may be failing.

2021REBEL

Reaction score
Just when starting? Your starter solenoid may be failing.

Yes only when starting. Not everytime I start the truck but probably about 50% of the time there’s a clunk. Truck starts totally fine no issues but the clunk is definitely a little concerning.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes only when starting. Not everytime I start the truck but probably about 50% of the time there’s a clunk. Truck starts totally fine no issues but the clunk is definitely a little concerning.

You’ll know for sure when you hear that clunk one day and your truck won’t even try to start.

2021REBEL

Reaction score
You’ll know for sure when you hear that clunk one day and your truck won’t even try to start.

lol yeah I guess I will. I will probably notify the dealer just so they’re aware. It’s not even a month old yet which is annoying.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Try releasing your brake pedal as soon as the truck starts cranking. The brake booster has been known to clunk quite loudly at startup, happens on my truck.

2021REBEL

Reaction score
Try releasing your brake pedal as soon as the truck starts cranking. The brake booster has been known to clunk quite loudly at startup, happens on my truck.

Okay for sure, I’ll try that! Thanks!

Reaction score
No, mine is not a starting sound. It just makes wierd clunking/tapping/blow off type sounds when idling

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Okay for sure, I’ll try that! Thanks!

Mine will do that sometimes too. I've tried the same advice, and it seems to have worked. Basically as SOON as you press the start button pull your foot off the brake. I forgot after driving my wife's car a few times, and it clunked yesterday when I held the brake down.

2021REBEL

Reaction score
Mine will do that sometimes too. I've tried the same advice, and it seems to have worked. Basically as SOON as you press the start button pull your foot off the brake. I forgot after driving my wife's car a few times, and it clunked yesterday when I held the brake down.

Awesome I will be sure to do that! Thanks so much.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yup, normal for mine as well if you hold down the brake the entire time you start it. My 2014 (Hemi) was worse, it had a clunk every time it started, regardless of brake/no brake, for the almost 40k miles that I owned it. As a result, I ignore it by default.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My EcoD 4x4 3.92 sometimes makes a clunk. It's the transmission taking up slack. I can feel it right when I shift into D or R. Particularly if I have parked and it has rolled a bit back or forward and is on the Parking prawl.

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I seem to get this when I start the truck after I've already been driving it. E.g. after pumping gas or going to the store. It seems to be coming from driver side under engine. Haven't been too concerned but it's weird that it happens when truck is warmed up rather than on a cold start.

2021REBEL

Reaction score

I tried it for the 2 startups i had this afternoon and there was no clunk when starting when I took my foot off the break as soon as I pressed the button… thanks!

ductape

Reaction score
2019 6.4 here, I get it sometimes on cold or hot start. Will try the keep-off-brake trick and report back.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I thinking broken motor mount, but that shouldn’t be the case on these newer trucks.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You have to release the brake pedal immediately after you press the ignition. If you hold onto the pedal you'll sometimes get the clunk, my truck is the same way.

In a different thread a video was uploaded showing the noise coming from the drive shaft; it actually moves when the engine turns over.

Users who are viewing this thread