5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Climate in Auto

MurphBigHorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was wondering if this is normal! During summer. I just keep the truck in Auto for the climate controls and adjust the temp as needed and it has always kept it nice inside the truck. This is my first winter with the truck. Temps are starting to drop. If I keep the climate in auto and crank it up to max temp nothing changed. There is not air blowing.

I’m going off my wife’s car. Her auto setting ac or heat well change the way to blows air and temp of the air.

Ok as I’m typing this. Been sitting in the truck waiting to see if anything happens. And I had to turn down the temp all the way to low. Then it started to blow air. Then turned it up to 73. It blew less air. I assumed it would have.

So now I’m thinking maybe the truck wasn’t warm enough for it to blow any air on auto at the temp I had it set to. Sound about right?

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hmm I'll have to check this out when it gets a bit colder here in TX.

Sorry I don't have any info on this OP. I'll soon report back what happens here.

Ros

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Temperatures are starting to drop around here (hit 31 F this morning) and I have my climate controls on auto. No air (or very little) blows until the engine heats up. It didn't take long for the cabin to become comfortable (especially with the heated seats/wheel) with steady warm air blowing out the lower vents.

bpwj76

Reaction score
Right... it shouldn't blow anything until the engine heats up and the heater can start blowing warm air. Otherwise, it'll just blow cold air if it starts blowing right away.

Mine starts blowing cold air right away on auto, when it's cold outside. There is something wrong with it.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Mine starts blowing cold air right away on auto, when it's cold outside. There is something wrong with it.
That's the way my '19 works...and the same as others have reported. I think it was just badly programmed on the early trucks. It seems like it doesn't even "wake up" to the fact that ambient conditions have changed for the first 5-10 minutes after it's started. After that, it's good to go.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I can't say I've ever had an issue, but then again, I park in a heated garage. Only time I've ever taken mine off auto is when there was freezing rain, and I needed full airflow and heat in windshield to keep it from freezing up

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The blower won’t turn on until the tstat opens and is knows there is warm coolant running through the head exchanger.

Otherwise it would just be blowing cold air around the cabin. This is the way most full auto climate systems work.

I will say our new outback actually has a supplementary electric heater in the heater core which helps things heat up faster reducing the engine idle warm up time. I wish more manufactures would do this. Because even in sub zero temps, that cabin heats up in no time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MurphBigHorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the feed back. After starting to type the original post I figure that was prob the case. Truck needed to warm up first. Makes sense.

The auto heat tonight kept the truck so comfortable. Truck just keeps making me fall in love over and over. Haha

bpwj76

Reaction score
That's the way my '19 works...and the same as others have reported. I think it was just badly programmed on the early trucks. It seems like it doesn't even "wake up" to the fact that ambient conditions have changed for the first 5-10 minutes after it's started. After that, it's good to go.
Agreed... I did notice this morning (it was 50 degrees outside and I had it set on 72) that the system must know that it needs to be warming the cabin when it is set to warmer than the outside temp, because it was blowing on my feet only. So the blend door has it blowing in the right direction, it's just cold air.

Every other vehicle I've owned with auto climate control didn't start blowing any air at all during cold temps unless the engine was warm.

asgadf/lkjnadsfg

Reaction score
I had to test mine out tonight to figure out what was going on. I've got a '21 Rebel. When I use "Auto" for heat, my truck only blows to the floor, and it only blows at one speed. It blows at the same speed from a cold start, all the way until the cabin temp reaches the target. Engine temp is completely irrelevant to what "Auto" is doing.

It doesn't matter if the engine is warm or cold, it blows the entire time, at your feet, and at the same speed. Then it just waits until the cabin temp target has been reached and cuts the fan off. Also, the "Auto" setting can't be used with the selections that have air blowing out of the dashboard. It will only work when it blows air to the footwell.

For me it's way better to run it on my own. When I'm cold I need heat, and I can get way more heat by running the fan on high than I can waiting on things to warm up using the setting the "Auto" system wants to use. I'm sure Auto is good for maintaining heat, but when I start the truck I'll be telling it what to do until I'm warm. I'm not waiting on a fan speed of 1 or 2 to slowly get things where they need to be.

Last edited:

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Then something is massively wrong with your climate control.

When auto is active, it determines where to blow the air based on temp.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I had to test mine out tonight to figure out what was going on. I've got a '21 Rebel. When I use "Auto" for heat, my truck only blows to the floor, and it only blows at one speed. It blows at the same speed from a cold start, all the way until the cabin temp reaches the target. Engine temp is completely irrelevant to what "Auto" is doing.

It doesn't matter if the engine is warm or cold, it blows the entire time, at your feet, and at the same speed. Then it just waits until the cabin temp target has been reached and cuts the fan off. Also, the "Auto" setting can't be used with the selections that have air blowing out of the dashboard. It will only work when it blows air to the footwell.

For me it's way better to run it on my own. When I'm cold I need heat, and I can get way more heat by running the fan on high than I can waiting on things to warm up using the setting the "Auto" system wants to use. I'm sure Auto is good for maintaining heat, but when I start the truck I'll be telling it what to do until I'm warm. I'm not waiting on a fan speed of 1 or 2 to slowly get things where they need to be.
Something isn't right then. Pretty much all I use is auto, and when it's cold, it will blow out defrost vents to clean windshield and the floor. Warms up the cabin just as fast as manual setting.

asgadf/lkjnadsfg

Reaction score
Something isn't right then. Pretty much all I use is auto, and when it's cold, it will blow out defrost vents to clean windshield and the floor. Warms up the cabin just as fast as manual setting.
Does yours ever change fan speed? Or is it the same all the time?

Does yours ever blow from the vents on the dashboard when in Auto?

My biggest concern is the fan speed, simply because I can crank it manually to a higher speed and heat the cabin much faster than Auto will do.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Depending on the temp you set the auto image at, and the ambient temp, it will adjust the fan speed, blend door, and where the air exits accordingly.

It would appear your climate control is broken

asgadf/lkjnadsfg

Reaction score
Depending on the temp you set the auto image at, and the ambient temp, it will adjust the fan speed, blend door, and where the air exits accordingly.

It would appear your climate control is broken

Yeah, mine doesn't do any of that.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
When you remote start your truck. Does it turn the heat on when cold and the ac on when hot?

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I discovered a nice feature of remote start last night with the temperature at 37°. The driver's seat and steering wheel heat turned on and front and rear defrost.

I don't run my climate control in auto, so I'm not sure what it will do but the manual says it will adjust to an optimal temperature and mode until the ignition is turned on. Then it goes back to the previous settings.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
If it does it should at least let you know the sensors are working.

That’s the one main benefit of auto climate. Really useful in the summer

Users who are viewing this thread