5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cleaning Bolt Threads for Sidebars

Reaction score
I'm certain I've seen a specification for the die to clean the factory paint overspray from the running board threads, and I'm certain I can't find the info now that I need it. What have you used to clean the threads? Thanks.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm certain I've seen a specification for the die to clean the factory paint overspray from the running board threads, and I'm certain I can't find the info now that I need it. What have you used to clean the threads? Thanks.
I found the bottom studs had a heavier coating of paint than the top ones. I started with the die and the die I purchased did not go on the heavier painted studs readily. I tried heat (butane torch for soldering), paint remover and finally went to the hardware store and purchased a small wire wheel that attached to my drill. For me the wire wheel did the trick and then I cleaned up the threads with the die. Things were getting ugly before the wire wheel as I came close to cross threading a stud. The wire wheel was quick and only 2 or 3 dollars. I wasted a lot of time on the other methods.

BiGJZ74

Reaction score
or you could be lucky like me and was able to thread the bolts on without having to clean any paint at all

Jako

Reaction score
or you could be lucky like me and was able to thread the bolts on without having to clean any paint at all
Wonder why the difference. My build date was 11/02 and I have billet silver. Does color have an influence?

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine was a MOFO. I basically ruined the die but got it done. Chinese die from eBay but yea. So I had to get creative on turning it, I mean you aren’t going to just toss the normal tool on there and hand spin like it’s no big deal. The ones with thick paint SUCK. I used a large socket that fit over the end and a decent size 1/2” drive ratchet to turn it. And it was still pretty serious.

A wire wheel would have helped for sure, but I didn’t have it. Wire brush (by hand) didn’t even phase it.

BiGJZ74

Reaction score
Wonder why the difference. My build date was 11/02 and I have billet silver. Does color have an influence?

Here's what my studs look like now. When I installed they felt a bit like tightening a nylon lock nut but easier. Just used a deep socket with a ratchet using short movements. Build date 11/20

IMG_0427.jpg

Last edited:

Jako

Reaction score
Mine was a MOFO. I basically ruined the die but got it done. Chinese die from eBay but yea. So I had to get creative on turning it, I mean you aren’t going to just toss the normal tool on there and hand spin like it’s no big deal. The ones with thick paint SUCK. I used a large socket that fit over the end and a decent size 1/2” drive ratchet to turn it. And it was still pretty serious.

A wire wheel would have helped for sure, but I didn’t have it. Wire brush (by hand) didn’t even phase it.
Your descriptin brings back memories. I identify with your description. Is your Ram silver also? Build date?

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No, black and the date is like July or August or something really early. I’d have to look again, don’t have it at the moment.

But bottom studs on the front were so bad, you could barley tell it was threaded under the paint.

Reaction score
Found the 8M-1.25 die at a local Napa parts store (4 bucks and change). Made the job easy. 26mm socket to use the this die. Truck build in Feb, 2019, black. Enjoying the nfab podiums. Thanks again for the great feedback and support. By the way, the nfabs went on perfectly (all hardware was correct).

ronmac7609

Reaction score
I attempted the die yesterday. I tried a little part of one bolt and tried to screw a nut on as a test and it almost was like it was cross threading crooked so I stopped. Seemed like the die was on straight too. Went and bought some paint thinner and a wire wheel for my drill to try. Hopefully I didn’t mess the stud up.

Should the die need that much ratchet force to spin on? I haven’t used a die before so pardon my ignorance on them. Can I recover the stud if the die messed the beginning of the stud bolt? I was nervous on messing up the threads.

Jako

Reaction score
I attempted the die yesterday. I tried a little part of one bolt and tried to screw a nut on as a test and it almost was like it was cross threading crooked so I stopped. Seemed like the die was on straight too. Went and bought some paint thinner and a wire wheel for my drill to try. Hopefully I didn’t mess the stud up.

Should the die need that much ratchet force to spin on? I haven’t used a die before so pardon my ignorance on them. Can I recover the stud if the die messed the beginning of the stud bolt? I was nervous on messing up the threads.
I had a similar experience as you, see post #6. The wire wheel worked the best for the paint removal followed by the die. Take your time and check if some studs have less paint. Work on those first until you can get the "feel" for the die. There was a significant difference in the degree of difficulty for the studs in my case.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well the die cuts threads, like a tap cuts threads if you are familiar with those. Same thing. So you can’t really mess it up, it’s just the paint you feel. It’s not meant to cut paint or “clean” the bolts, it’s just meant to cut threads. Same thing with a tap, you aren’t really supposed to clean paint out of a hole with a tap but people do it.

Mine was a MOTHER to turn by hand.
The worst thing that’s going to happen is it’s going to ruin the die, not the bolt. It may rip or bend the threads in the die. Mine is basically destroyed after doing the bolts.

You will be fine man. The stud isn’t going to break by hand. The wire wheel is the way to go for sure. Make sure you wear good safety glasses. Seriously.

Snakes709

Reaction score
I just bought a rotory wired brush and put it on my power drill. Cleaned them off pretty quick.

ronmac7609

Reaction score
Thanks. The nut going on crooked made me nervous. New vehicle jitters.

Users who are viewing this thread