5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clay bar how often?

Nels

Reaction score
Clay barred my truck last summer - first time ever doing that. Getting ready for a wax and I'd like to claybar again before waxing. Is that too soon? For those that clay bar, how frequently?

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Clay barred my truck last summer - first time ever doing that. Getting ready for a wax and I'd like to claybar again before waxing. Is that too soon? For those that clay bar, how frequently?
There's not really a set frequency for how often you should clay your paint. People often do it more than they should. You should only clay the paint when it's needed. If the paint doesn't feel rough, it doesn't need mechanical decon.

If your paint feels rough, do a chemical decon. I like CarPro IronX and Optimum FerreX depending on which vehicle I'm doing. If it feels rough after that, then do a mechanical decon with clay or a synthetic option (my preference).

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you take care of the paint after you do it once, and use quality products, shouldn't ever have to do it again.

Nels

Reaction score
Thanks for the advise. I've been using meguiars carnibua wax for 20+ years but my wife got me a ceramic spray. Going to try that. The paint doesn't feel too rough now but thought I might clay it again before applying the ceramic. Just didn't know of there's such as thing as claying too much.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the advise. I've been using meguiars carnibua wax for 20+ years but my wife got me a ceramic spray. Going to try that. The paint doesn't feel too rough now but thought I might clay it again before applying the ceramic. Just didn't know of there's such as thing as claying too much.
If you have waxed it since the last clay bars then you defy need to do a decontamination wash and get all the carnuba wax removed from the truck before applying the ceramic coating.

jeffjcalweb

Reaction score
if you can hear your drying towel across the surface, you need to clay it. obviously running your hand/fingers across specific spots is a great indicator but the towel never lies :)

Whodeysrt

Reaction score
I’ve always used the cellophane wrapper from a cigarette pack and put your fingers inside it and run it over the paint…you would be amazed the imperfections you feel.

Nels

Reaction score
If you have waxed it since the last clay bars then you defy need to do a decontamination wash and get all the carnuba wax removed from the truck before applying the ceramic coating.
Would the clay bar remove the wax.

UnclJim

Reaction score
Frequency depends on contaminants in the air and rain, if cars garaged or not, sun strength in your area. If i lived in LA id be doing it ever other month in your locale 2x a year.
ALL vehicles that traveled on a train should be done ASAP!! Rail dust is real and really contaminates your paint!

n8zcc

Reaction score
I use my fingers on the paint and find that the flat surfaces need clay barring more often than the side panels. I clay bar as needed and I also clay bar the windshield.

Users who are viewing this thread