5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chuck of sidewall missing. Does it matter?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Never seen damage like this before.
Looks like something rubbed up into the sidewall.

Would this be considered safe to drive at any speeds for any lengths of time? I know the sidewall heats up and flexes and i'm curious if this could cause a blowout or something with prolonged use.

1673296113110.png
1673296229151.png
1673296187697.png

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hard to tell from the pics, but that looks cosmetic to me. How deep is the largest gouge?
It's kind of hard to tell. Appears to be around 3/16 of an inch with my toothpick measurement.
Are you married, and does your wife know of the tire damage?
Yes, and no. LOL.

Just to be 100% sure, and side on the safety factor, I'd replace it.
This is true. But spending $330 on a replacement tire with very little wear doesn't make a bunch of a sense.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'd probably run it myself since the sidewall plies aren't compromised, but if you want to know for sure take it to a local tire shop you trust and see what they have to say about it.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That's just a small blemish. I wouldn't have any problem running that tire.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'd probably run it myself since the sidewall plies aren't compromised, but if you want to know for sure take it to a local tire shop you trust and see what they have to say about it.
That whole "trust" thing.

I only have 2 places I trust.
A ford dealership I have had tire work done at before (not driving a Ford) and only minorly scuffed up a rim and a Firestone with only 2 employees I trusted (who even knew how to use the touch free mounting machine), 1 left, and I think the other might of quit also as the last time I called they didn't have anyone to do low profile tire work for over 6 months and no other firestones in my state claim to have a touch free machine for low profile tires.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
It's kind of hard to tell. Appears to be around 3/16 of an inch with my toothpick measurement.

Yes, and no. LOL.

This is true. But spending $330 on a replacement tire with very little wear doesn't make a bunch of a sense.
It will if you have a catastrophic blow out on your side wall;) I would get it looked at by a reputable tire shop.

Av1

Reaction score
Never seen damage like this before.
Looks like something rubbed up into the sidewall.

Would this be considered safe to drive at any speeds for any lengths of time? I know the sidewall heats up and flexes and i'm curious if this could cause a blowout or something with prolonged use.

View attachment 148360
View attachment 148362
View attachment 148361

Can you see the radial chords where the rubber is missing? If it hasn't reached the chords, it may be superficial damage only.

Keep an eye out for belt separation (bubble in sidewall) if you decide to keep running it. I don't know how hard it was hit.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Can you see the radial chords where the rubber is missing? If it hasn't reached the chords, it may be superficial damage only.

Keep an eye out for belt separation (bubble in sidewall) if you decide to keep running it. I don't know how hard it was hit.
I believe it was rubbed sub 3 mph not hit.

I only see rubber (or whatever compound it is) I can't see anything metal.
Ill get it looked at some point but it sounds like for right the next few days i'm good.

Av1

Reaction score
I believe it was rubbed sub 3 mph not hit.

I only see rubber (or whatever compound it is) I can't see anything metal.
Ill get it looked at some point but it sounds like for right the next few days i'm good.

I, personally, wouldn't have a problem with that tire if I didn't see any chords. I think it's very likely only cosmetic damage.

Users who are viewing this thread