5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chrome trim durability?

kmj.1

Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody had any feedback on the durability of the chrome trim pieces over time. In particular as a daily driver on a short stretch of interstate.

I have a new body 2019 Longhorn in ivory/chrome.

I’m concerned about the chrome grille, side mirrors, and grille bezel.

I’m also significantly concerned about the painted panel under the headlights as well as the headlights themselves.

On previous vehicles by other manufacturers, Rock chips have taken their tolls.

I hope the RAM is tougher.

Any experience, comments, or feedback appreciated.

Thanks.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody had any feedback on the durability of the chrome trim pieces over time. In particular as a daily driver on a short stretch of interstate.

I’m also significantly concerned about the painted panel under the headlights as well as the headlights themselves.

Thanks.
IMHO it is garbage. I just turned 5000 miles and my grill and other chrome pieces look like crap. My passenger side mirror must have taken a stone hit resulting in about a 2 inch long bubble that you can actually push in and out. My dealership Service Manager looked at it today and said it's typical for the soft crappy plating material they use nowadays. So to answer your question, the Ram chrome is not tougher so don't expect much.

kmj.1

Reaction score
IMHO it is garbage. I just turned 5000 miles and my grill and other chrome pieces look like crap. My passenger side mirror must have taken a stone hit resulting in about a 2 inch long bubble that you can actually push in and out. My dealership Service Manager looked at it today and said it's typical for the soft crappy plating material they use nowadays. So to answer your question, the Ram chrome is not tougher so don't expect much.
That’s disappointing but thanks for the heads up.

I guess the only option is to install some kind of protection for the leading paint and chrome pieces.

I looked into it but it’s all very expensive.

I considered having paint protection film professionally installed.
I considered trying to do it myself.

I even talked to my local Linex dealer about having the chrome grill, side mirrors, front painted panels, fender flares, and possibly the front chrome bumper coated in Linex. He said they have a new type that is used as paint and has low texture. He also said they could match any OEM paint color. (I find that hard considering I have the Ivory Tri-coat).
I could have it Linex painted as OEM Ivory or just do the aforementioned parts in normal black to match my bedliner. I could also do the lower panel in this black to make it look like a 2-tone model. It would then be ivory/partial chrome/black Linex lower with partial parts. Or just do it to match the OEM color if it looks good.

This was cheaper than film and or at least on par with the cost depending on what options I have done, he claimed. The benefit is it is protected thru anything for the life of the truck. The downside is it changes the look of the truck.

What do you all think?

Or is their any other alternatives?

Thanks!

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I guess the only option is to install some kind of protection for the leading paint and chrome pieces.

I even talked to my local Linex dealer about having the chrome grill, side mirrors, front painted panels, fender flares, and possibly the front chrome bumper coated in Linex. He said they have a new type that is used as paint and has low texture. He also said they could match any OEM paint color. (I find that hard considering I have the Ivory Tri-coat).
I could have it Linex painted as OEM Ivory or just do the aforementioned parts in normal black to match my bedliner. I could also do the lower panel in this black to make it look like a 2-tone model. It would then be ivory/partial chrome/black Linex lower with partial parts. Or just do it to match the OEM color if it looks good.

This was cheaper than film and or at least on par with the cost depending on what options I have done, he claimed. The benefit is it is protected thru anything for the life of the truck. The downside is it changes the look of the truck.

What do you all think?

Thanks!
Question, how did the vehicle you replaced with your truck hold up? Did you try to protect it? Will you be using your truck differently? If your goal is to keep your truck showroom new, then, yes you need to take some action. If you are okay with it's appearance to be no different than your previous vehicle, then treat it like you treated your previous vehicle. I have a Limited in ivory, 6000 miles, looks great. Two small pin pricks on painted bumper. Chrome looks as good as day one. I take reasonable care of it. Gets car washed or hand washed about every two weeks. Not garage kept. No gravel roads.

ZombieSlayer

Reaction score
I was hoping it was crap quality personally as it makes it easier for me to not gaf when it gets banged up. I plan on de-chroming most of the front end anyways :D

It sucks that they went so cheap, but for me that's a good thing.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was hoping it was crap quality personally as it makes it easier for me to not gaf when it gets banged up. I plan on de-chroming most of the front end anyways :D

It sucks that they went so cheap, but for me that's a good thing.
Seriously, "Crap" compared to what? By what gauge can a person make such a statement? Compare it to "my Ford, Chevrolet, Toyota ,etc", give me a break. Doubt seriously any of the major manufacturers do it any different. And, just because my "Service Manager" said it, I am going to believe it. These are the same people, that on other threads and other problems, people call out for not knowing anything. What people say on the internet, needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Sometimes, more than a grain!

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Seriously, "Crap" compared to what? By what gauge can a person make such a statement? Compare it to "my Ford, Chevrolet, Toyota ,etc", give me a break. Doubt seriously any of the major manufacturers do it any different. And, just because my "Service Manager" said it, I am going to believe it. These are the same people, that on other threads and other problems, people call out for not knowing anything. What people say on the internet, needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Sometimes, more than a grain!
I think it transcends all manufacturers. Chrome isn't chrome anymore. It seems that it's some paper thin coating that's easily damaged. I was shocked at the damage done to my mirror cover but s tiny stone hit. It's a sign of the times that quality materials are a thing of the past. The Ram is no different than any other vehicle out there except for some higher end imports of course.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sounds like you bought the wrong vehicle?
Not knocking the vehicle by any means. I love the truck. Chrome quality sucks across the board. Just letting kmj.1 know its certainly no tougher than any similar vehicle out there. Obviously I wouldn't factor that into a decision to buy or not. He was hoping the Ram was better quality and wanted input. Everyone is entitled to there opinion and if some people think the Ram chrome is any better than other vehicles so be it.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Thanks.
Put a good wax like Collinite 476 on the Chrome and it should provide adequate protection. A good tough coat of wax will deflect bugs and gravel and protect your finish. Personally I don't worry about it too much; its no worse that all the black plastic on new vehicles that fades and turns gray.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Btw, if you read my post carefully you'd see that I simpmy said the service manager made a general statement about the overall quality of chrome materials used today. I didn't say that he said Ram was any worse than any other manufacturer out there. He's a car guy and is certainly entitled to his own opinion like the rest of us.

ZombieSlayer

Reaction score

MJP said it for me :D Crap compared to what real chrome is. All the "chrome" on cars/trucks today is crap, never implied it was just Ram. For me though that's a good thing like I said, I won't be upset when it gets f'd up since I plan on de-chroming anyway.

What people are you referring to? You seem to have mixed up two different posts in your reply which makes it appear that you may qualify as "these people" ;)

Reactions: MJP

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
MJP said it for me :D Crap compared to what real chrome is. All the "chrome" on cars/trucks today is crap, never implied it was just Ram. For me though that's a good thing like I said, I won't be upset when it gets f'd up since I plan on de-chroming anyway.

What people are you referring to? You seem to have mixed up two different posts in your reply which makes it appear that you may qualify as "these people" ;)
As I said, it is the internet and I am sure I am one of "these people", aren't we all?

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The chrome holds up way better than paint. I had one painted front end F150 (Harley Davidson) a few trucks ago and the bumper probably had 50+ chips of various sizes after a year. Paint isn't close to the durability of the chrome and chrome cladding.

Reactions: MJP

Gearwhine

Reaction score
It's junk for any place that has salt/mag chloride used on their roads in the winter. If you don't religiously clean after every drive, they will be stained. My chrome trim and wheels are, after one winter being "fairly religious" with cleaning, is all pretty bad.

I am already planning on plastidipping my $1700 option "chrome" wheels which is just sad.

My polished aluminum wheels and chromed bits from my 2004 Ram look better than my 2019. Quality has suffered in my opinion.

Last edited:

kmj.1

Reaction score
Question, how did the vehicle you replaced with your truck hold up? Did you try to protect it? Will you be using your truck differently? If your goal is to keep your truck showroom new, then, yes you need to take some action. If you are okay with it's appearance to be no different than your previous vehicle, then treat it like you treated your previous vehicle. I have a Limited in ivory, 6000 miles, looks great. Two small pin pricks on painted bumper. Chrome looks as good as day one. I take reasonable care of it. Gets car washed or hand washed about every two weeks. Not garage kept. No gravel roads.
To be honest, my last vehicle was a 16 Cadillac SUV that I used as my everyday driver. I drove it to work every day on a small stretch of interstate and saw several chips in the chrome paint and chrome grill. I wanted to prevent it on my new RAM as much as possible.
I did see a service manager take a warrantied side mirror and grille trim that was being replaced and use the back tip of knife to try and cut into the chrome. I was surprised to see that the chrome was not broken through but only the plastic was dented from the knife. The end effect was a elongated indention in the part that was still covered in chrome. Now how this may differ from a rock impact, I don’t know.

Just looking for options to keep my truck looking new.
Thanks!

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To be honest, my last vehicle was a 16 Cadillac SUV that I used as my everyday driver. I drove it to work every day on a small stretch of interstate and saw several chips in the chrome paint and chrome grill. I wanted to prevent it on my new RAM as much as possible.
I did see a service manager take a warrantied side mirror and grille trim that was being replaced and use the back tip of knife to try and cut into the chrome. I was surprised to see that the chrome was not broken through but only the plastic was dented from the knife. The end effect was a elongated indention in the part that was still covered in chrome. Now how this may differ from a rock impact, I don’t know.

Just looking for options to keep my truck looking new.
Thanks!

What you describe is very common, simple mechanics of materials. A hard coating (chrome, nickel, etc.) plated onto a soft substrate (the plastic from which the mirrors and grilles are molded) does NOT make the substrate any harder, it only makes for a more abrasion-resistant surface on top of a soft substrate. Any impact of sufficient force will "Brinell" the soft substrate below, leaving a divot in the soft material, and the hard coating itself may of may not crack and peel, depending on the physical characteristics of the coating and the degree of impact.

Perhaps also the chrome plating itself has been changed in recent years, due to toxic exposure of the workers on the plating lines, or environmental impacts with disposal of the toxic byproducts. Any time a new requirement comes along that forces manufacturers to come up with different formulations, it takes several years for them to go up the new learning curve and get back to reliable products/processes (like plating). Think how good our house paint is nowadays, compared to the first several years after they had to remove the lead and the volatile petroleum compounds from their formulations. It was hell for a number of years, but eventually the paint formulators got it right, and now the house paints are every bit as good as they were 30 years ago, while also being human-friendly to those doing the painting, and environment-friendlier as well

The chrome-plated plastics look nice, at least initially, but perhaps this thread speaks to the desirability of the "sport" trims, i.e. body-colored grilles & mirrors, which can be easily repainted if they become stone chipped.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score

What do you all think?

Thanks!

I think you are referring to Linex "Ultra" body protection coating. I posted this ink a few days ago, but here it is again for anyone who is interested in it (note, I have no interest in Linex, I've never even used their products, I'm just passing this along FWIW - use your own judgement): https://www.tfltruck.com/2018/10/ca...ra-with-a-line-x-coating-video-demonstration/

If you do get the lower body sides painted with Linex Ultra or equivalent, maybe their nominally clear Ultra, or maybe think about matching the interior color of the truck? Also, the "Walnut Brown" two-tone that Ram was offering goes well with the Ivory, IMO. Go to Ram's Build & Price website and spec a Laramie with the various combinations of two-tone paints, and see what looks good to you. A friend of mine painted his Polar White truck with flat black lower body sides, and after a couple of years it began to look pretty dull and crappy. Just my two-cents' worth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/