5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chrome clad 20” wheel tire change

Bigbadgen

Reaction score
Hey guys, just curious how many of you have had your tires changed on the 20” factory chrome clad wheels? Want to get rid of these garbage factory Bridgestone tires. Just got about 4-5” of snow over night and on my way into work this morning my truck was all over even in 4x4. My worry is the shop will snap my wheel cover. I Like the look of the factory 20’s so I want to keep them.

Attachments

• IMG_7808.jpeg
    IMG_7808.jpeg
    284.9 KB · Views: 39

79 300

Reaction score
I had a Ram 2500 with 18" chrome clads and when I got new tires they didn't even put a mark on any of them. Most tire shops know how to deal with them.

frisby5

Reaction score
I changed mine to General grabber atx 275 65 20 they work great. I put a level kit on mine and they fit fine.

Attachments

• 20230530_125902.jpg
    20230530_125902.jpg
    301.7 KB · Views: 18

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I had a Ram 2500 with 18" chrome clads and when I got new tires they didn't even put a mark on any of them. Most tire shops know how to deal with them.
Depends where you live on the "most" part. I had a dealership destroy my rims before because they didn't know they were painted aluminum (they were oem rims from the factory). Lots of random shops will gouge your wheels and not even tell you because they seem to think people will not notice or care.

Hey guys, just curious how many of you have had your tires changed on the 20” factory chrome clad wheels? Want to get rid of these garbage factory Bridgestone tires. Just got about 4-5” of snow over night and on my way into work this morning my truck was all over even in 4x4. My worry is the shop will snap my wheel cover. I Like the look of the factory 20’s so I want to keep them.

If you tell them what you want and ask they will tell you. I sometimes need to wait a few weeks to get into my local Firestone as I only let them use the touch free machine to mount, and the road force balence. They only have 1 mechanic who is trained to use it and when it breaks they let it sit for weeks/months sometimes.
Wheel covers the self's are super standard, and you can probably pop them off yourself in the parking lot if you are concerned about that.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Most places have tire machines now that don't touch the face of the rims. Not all but most.

Bigbadgen

Reaction score
Depends where you live on the "most" part. I had a dealership destroy my rims before because they didn't know they were painted aluminum (they were oem rims from the factory). Lots of random shops will gouge your wheels and not even tell you because they seem to think people will not notice or care.

If you tell them what you want and ask they will tell you. I sometimes need to wait a few weeks to get into my local Firestone as I only let them use the touch free machine to mount, and the road force balence. They only have 1 mechanic who is trained to use it and when it breaks they let it sit for weeks/months sometimes.
Wheel covers the self's are super standard, and you can probably pop them off yourself in the parking lot if you are concerned about that.
They are glued on the rim. Can’t remove.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
yea, I have not had any issues. I've had the tires changed out once so far and no marks on them.

Bigbadgen

Reaction score
Ah, then they are not a cover like OP said. Mine come right out with either 2 or 3 clips on the inside (can take them off without removing the wheel if you are careful)
Yes the op does state it. “ chrome clad” they are a glued on cover. Hopefully I’m wrong tho. I’ll find out tmrw

Users who are viewing this thread