5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

choppiness when backing up with wheels turned

rrbhokies

Reaction score
I'm having an issue when I am backing into a parking space. If I have my wheels at a full turn and moving in reverse, the truck get really choppy/jerky. It doesn't want to simply back in. It's like I'm running over things and jerks back and forth. Hard to explain. I have stock 20in. wheels on my truck. Only mod is a Hellwig Swaybar which I haven't gone back to double check, but I'm almost positive it's still nice and tight. I have no issues going forward and turning. Just when backing up at slow speeds like when trying to back into a parking space. If my tires are straight, I have no issues backing up.

rrbhokies

Reaction score
4x4?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Yes, and it was in 4x4 High. I should have mentioned that. Sorry. We had snow yesterday. Parking lot was wet, but not icy at the time.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There's your answer. 4 high will walk on you. Surprised you do not also feel it going forward. Be careful not to snap a front drive hub/shaft by letting it walk on dry pavement, especially under rapid acceleration.

dailyherold

Reaction score
There's your answer. 4 high will walk on you. Surprised you do not also feel it going forward. Be careful not to snap a front drive hub/shaft by letting it walk on dry pavement, especially under rapid acceleration.

What exactly does "walk on you" mean? I was using 4 high for first time last two days and definitely noticed some weirdness with sound and feeling at lower speeds and it got me worried.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What exactly does "walk on you" mean? I was using 4 high for first time last two days and definitely noticed some weirdness with sound and feeling at lower speeds and it got me worried.
Front drive axles engaged at full steering lock, inner wheel turns at a different rate than outer wheel, drive line binds itself, truck tires will literally skip on the ground and steering wheel has a tendency to rock left and right, and truck sways side to side (walking). If rate of speed is too high when this tendency happens, you are likely to snap components in the front drive line. It's normal behavior for 4x4's that are locked into 4high, and is extremely exaggerated and/or aggravated in 4low. If any of you are reading this, and this is your first 4wd, do not put your trucks into 4low and stomp on the gas. It's geared extremely low and is meant for use in very low speed situations where maintaining traction is more critical than higher vehicle speed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread