5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chips in painted bumper

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Have a Limited on order but don't have a vin yet. Thinking of maybe getting body color bumpers instead. Originally went with chrome because painted bumpers usually chip easier. This was a problem on my 2018 F150.

How are the RAMs for painted bumpers chipping? I have chrome on my Laramie with not one chip in 8 months.

New1500customram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Have a Limited on order but don't have a vin yet. Thinking of maybe getting body color bumpers instead. Originally went with chrome because painted bumpers usually chip easier. This was a problem on my 2018 F150.

How are the RAMs for painted bumpers chipping? I have chrome on my Laramie with not one chip in 8 months.
This is the reason i ordered chrome, matching colored looks good too but i like contrast

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No chips yet and I do a lot of highway. 13000 miles. Just depends on environment. I also don't tailgate on highway and change lanes to maintain space. I think it helps but could be my imagination.

Whodeysrt

Reaction score
I had Xpel put on front bumpers and headlights....I have it on my wife’s Escalade and have had no chips at all...if your keeping truck for long well worth it.

Attachments

• AD4F7F04-365A-4471-9C34-D141F1B40689.jpeg
    AD4F7F04-365A-4471-9C34-D141F1B40689.jpeg
    74.7 KB · Views: 42

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had Xpel put on front bumpers and headlights....I have it on my wife’s Escalade and have had no chips at all...if your keeping truck for long well worth it.
What was the cost and what specific pne did you get? How does it look (can you tell a sticker is on there)?

I have a vin now but still may be able to make changes (maybe) if requested today.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Modern PPF is pretty amazing, proper installation will result in it being invisible, not like old clear bras which were obvious. They also self heal, in the sun scratches will simply disappear.

Only issue is the price, PPF is expensive to install. Contact a good local shop with strong reviews and get a quote.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
What was the cost and what specific pne did you get? How does it look (can you tell a sticker is on there)?

I have a vin now but still may be able to make changes (maybe) if requested today.

You can't tell it's there unless you get a cheap job like 1/2 the hood or 1/2 the fenders.

I paid $17 or 1800 for the full front, headlights, full hood, a-pillars, strip above the windshield, door handle pockets, door edges, b-pillars between the doors and full fenders. Also added a strip to the top of the tailgate for protection when shutting it.
20200906_124048.jpg

PPF is installed in this pic

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score

It's not a question of if painted bumpers will chip but when. PPF is absolutely required to keep them looking new. I got mine done with 25 miles on the truck for $600 BUT they also did the front of the hood, door edges, & under the door handles. Absolutely money well spent.

The first time I parked in a diagonal space in a parking garage I tapped the concrete wall with my front bumper and had a mini-stroke. Got out and looked and the PPF was just barely scratched. Without it, that would have been a $600 paint job for sure.

Also, it was not discovered until ~6 months after these trucks were out that they were also prone to chipping the bottom of the front of the rear fender flare - even with running boards and mudflaps. I had chips in the paint up almost 2' from the bottom so I took it back and they did something quick and dirty to the chips and PPF'd over them (and the front of the bed below the silver trim next to it) for $40. You can't even tell it ever happened and has not happened since.

If it wasn't so expensive I'd do what the Lambo guys do and PPF the whole truck.

Zig10

Reaction score
I have 15000 miles on mine, no PFF, just a tube of touch up paint for $15.00. I have fixed 4 little chips so far, all after this crappy winter we just had.

Mine is the white frost tricoat, and it hides the touch-up pretty easily.

Whodeysrt

Reaction score

For the bumper, the 2 panels under the lights, the headlights. Fog lights and the wheel well flares was $550....I didnt do the hood as I got a bug deflector as I had no issues on my old truck using it.

after looking at what I got I got the SunTek Ultra Series with a 10 year warrant.

Mr. Sparkle Detailing in Ormond Beach Florida

I can’t see the lines unless you look real hard on the edges.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I found a red with painted bumpers and put mine against it, and don't really care either way when seeing both right next to each other. So I am keeping the chrome because it is cheaper and easier to maintain. With white, gray, or silver I would not get the chrome bumpers, but they look OK (even good?) with the darker colors. I am pretty sure my wife's Highlander has PPF on front from the factory, but the RAMs don't.

I did see if he could still add Adv Safety Group. Not a big deal if not, but had a hwy situation today that made me think it would be nice to have. Haven't heard back yet.

Last edited:

KCViper

Reaction score
Agree with all the others.....PPF is a must to keep the front looking nice! Put Xpel on my with 100 miles on the clock!

pinzg35

Reaction score
Agreed. Under 1k miles and already have a few chips in the bumper. Xpel goes on this weekend.

Problem is with a painted metal bumper there is no forgiveness or bounce back when debris hits like it would if it was a painted plastic bumper.

U

User_63152

I got a quote from an Xpel dealer for partial hood, headlights, full bumper, the partial front fender and rockers (I think he included that, but I didn't ask for it). They wanted $2000!!!

Hard pass. I could not believe it.

pinzg35

Reaction score
I got a quote from an Xpel dealer for partial hood, headlights, full bumper, the partial front fender and rockers (I think he included that, but I didn't ask for it). They wanted $2000!!!

Hard pass. I could not believe it.
Yeah, definitely get a few quotes as prices vary greatly shop to shop. Most places will work with your budget as well depending what you want covered.

Users who are viewing this thread