5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chips in Limited Grille

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Was washing the truck the other day and noticed I now have three chips in the narrow black horizontal bars on my Limited grille. They are clearly rock chips in the black outer coating - I'm sure the whole thing is plastic. The problem is that the chips are bright silver underneath. They are small but if this trend continues, it's going to look really poor long term.

I think it's going to match my rear wheel flares nicely - and that's not good.

I'm debating whether or not to use touch up paint (not a fan, especially for this application) or pull the trigger and "downgrade" to a Longhorn grille. Anyone else having similar issues?

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It never occurred to me to put PPF on the grille pieces. Here's a shot of one of them:

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Was washing the truck the other day and noticed I now have three chips in the narrow black horizontal bars on my Limited grille. They are clearly rock chips in the black outer coating - I'm sure the whole thing is plastic. The problem is that the chips are bright silver underneath. They are small but if this trend continues, it's going to look really poor long term.

I think it's going to match my rear wheel flares nicely - and that's not good.

I'm debating whether or not to use touch up paint (not a fan, especially for this application) or pull the trigger and "downgrade" to a Longhorn grille. Anyone else having similar issues?
I’d consider that an upgrade, but I’m biased ;)

The thing is...the Longhorn grille is plastic too, and PPF just doesn’t work well on the chrome, so you’ll still be fighting some chips. Mine’s not bad, but I still worry it won’t hold up well over the long term. Then again, at least it’s all chrome.

As for your grille, you might try touching up and then putting film on those painted sections.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’d consider that an upgrade, but I’m biased ;)

The thing is...the Longhorn grille is plastic too, and PPF just doesn’t work well on the chrome, so you’ll still be fighting some chips. Mine’s not bad, but I still worry it won’t hold up well over the long term. Then again, at least it’s all chrome.

As for your grille, you might try touching up and then putting film on those painted sections.

That was a bit tongue in cheek as I've preferred the Longhorn grille from day one. I'd prefer it but need to chat with service manager about the quality of the Limited grille first. I'm expecting nothing but no, but feel like over time others are going to be complaining and driving around with beat up grilles. Not a good look on your top of the line trim level if every truck out there looks like it was a duty vehicle in Afghanistan.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That was a bit tongue in cheek as I've preferred the Longhorn grille from day one. I'd prefer it but need to chat with service manager about the quality of the Limited grille first. I'm expecting nothing but no, but feel like over time others are going to be complaining and driving around with beat up grilles. Not a good look on your top of the line trim level if every truck out there looks like it was a duty vehicle in Afghanistan.
Good luck. I wouldn’t even bother trying to make that case with my dealership. But I suppose if enough customers were to complain...

ium33

Reaction score
I have the same problem. Dealer offered to fix under warranty. I don't see a point since it'll just happen again. I'm going to use touch up paint.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Now that I think about it, my wife had her front (gloss black painted) bumper panel replaced twice under warranty by Audi. But this wasn’t strictly due to chips. The paint started to peel away from chips and factory edges. That made it more of a warranty issue than a ‘wear and tear’ item.

Users who are viewing this thread