5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chipping on rear stock fender flares

mwoods269

Reaction score
Hello,

I tried searching here but didn't turn up anything. Curious to see if anyone else is experiencing paint chips on the rear stock fender flares. I've read elsewhere of dealerships/Ram fixing on their dime under warranty and just started a claim with the local dealership. I've had 4 other newer Rams and a buddy of mine travels the same area I do with 10k miles white ram 1500 and zero chips.

Details
  • 2022 Ram 1500 Limited Crew with power steps.
  • 3500 miles and the same issue on both sides of my truck.
  • Color is white
  • Roads are not gravel and I only use the truck to run the kids to school and sports really
  • No off roading or aftermarket mods at all
  • Friend has a 2020 Ram 1500 White with no running boards, travels the same roads I do, has 11k miles and zero chips
Just took it to the dealer after submitting a case with RamCare (think that is what it's called). I've had 4 other newer Rams and never had this issue.

Attachments

• View recent photos.jpg
    View recent photos.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 38

n8zcc

Reaction score
You are not the first person I've come across on internet RAM forums with this issue and pictures to support it. I think this is a newer issue because of the deployable running boards. With the boards tucked in, there is nothing protecting the rear wheel flares from the road debris the front tires will kick up. I had this issue on a 2005 Chevy HHR.

I don't know if this is the solution, but I read adding mud flaps on the front wheel will discourage the chipping. I put on Weathertechs the same day I brought my 2022 home. I could not get the RAM branded, on backorder like most everything else. I was able to order from Weathertech and receive their flaps in two days.

I don't know if this is the solution, time will tell. I've got almost 1,500 miles on the truck and I live on dirt roads, about two miles in from paved roadways. So far, there is no sign of damage.

My 2013 Laramie with 86,000 miles (replaced by the 2022), and my 2015 3500 Longhorn with just under 40,000, show no damage to the rear wheel flares. Both trucks have the fixed wheel-to-wheel running boards.

Last edited:

Big White RAM

Reaction score
Definately install mud flaps. I have Weathertechs on my 19 Longhorn with just under 12k and no chips whatsoever. I also have the power running boards.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
PPF is the best solution. Mud flaps don't stop this. They really only protect the area directly behind them and maybe 18 inches back. Drive on a muddy road and look at where the mud splatters go. I can guarantee you your rear flares will be muddy even with mud flaps. The wife and I both have mud flaps, and we're seeing the same kind of chipping. The wife's is worse because her truck is a year older.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Mud flaps will help a little, your true fix is either stationary running boards (flat style, not tubular) or protective film.

A lot of your damage is coming from low, and the front tires will easily throw small rocks from low and far below most types of front mud flaps.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
+1 on PPF. I had all 4 of mine wrapped after I had one of my flares repainted for a mishap I did, personally I don’t run mudflaps I don’t like the look and so far so good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Users who are viewing this thread