5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chipping/Flaking Rims??

ericd

Reaction score
Hey guys. I've got a Limited with the 22" rims. I've noticed that all the wheels have spots where there is like a chipping or flaking of this hard plastic film. It's only on the sections and not on any of the dark inserts. I can actually pick at it and sections will flake off. Has anyone else noticed this? Is that normal? Would they ever replace under warranty?
Thanks

IMG-0223.jpg IMG-0224.jpg Screenshot 2021-03-25 123307.png

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Looks like it's the clear coat peeling off. I suspect it's initially from a rock chip, then whatever chemicals they put on the roads in winter where you live (road salt, mag. chloride...etc) get under the clear coat and start eating away at the metal. You can try taking it to the dealer, but I'm not sure they'll cover it. They use mag. chloride where I live, and that's why I use "winter wheels" during winter. I've had a couple sets of wheels on older vehicles ruined by it (GM vehicles), and dealers here say it's not covered under warranty.

Zig10

Reaction score
The wheels on my old '93 Blazer did that, and GM replaced them 3 times. As noted above, I would bet nowadays it gets rejected by the dealer.

If you find a rim repair place they can remove and re-clearcoat the wheel.

KCViper

Reaction score
Yep, clear coat is coming off. Rim repair person can fix this and re-clear the rim. Many of these people have mobile operations, which makes it even easier for you!

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Looks like its been through an automatic car wash and the guide rails rubbed

hoodac78

Reaction score
Havent had that happen to mine, but the lugnuts are starting to show rust on them which drives me bananas......

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Those plastic coated wheels are more trouble than they're worth. Once the coating fail, the wheels will start to corrode. Our GM cars and a Toyota Avalon had serious issues, so bad that we ended up replacing wheels because they wouldn't hold air. Pretty sure my Laramie wheels are just painted.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 047848 miles.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've had this kind of deterioration repaired/replaced under bumper-to-bumper warranties in years past, so it's worth a try. The worst they can say is no.

The past few times we've purchased vehicles, we've always picked up road hazard policies. I've never had one (including this Ram) that I haven't used.

ericd

Reaction score
Update.... My service manager took some photos and submitted them for warranty and it came back approved. I'm pretty happy to be getting 4 brand new rims. I've got some curb rash on there from getting stuck in some tight drive-thru's so it'll be nice starting fresh.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Update.... My service manager took some photos and submitted them for warranty and it came back approved. I'm pretty happy to be getting 4 brand new rims. I've got some curb rash on there from getting stuck in some tight drive-thru's so it'll be nice starting fresh.
Glad they took care of you.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Those plastic coated wheels are more trouble than they're worth. Once the coating fail, the wheels will start to corrode. Our GM cars and a Toyota Avalon had serious issues, so bad that we ended up replacing wheels because they wouldn't hold air. Pretty sure my Laramie wheels are just painted.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 047848 miles.
Add Honda to the list, 2006 Accord looks like hell.

Users who are viewing this thread