5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Checking Oil Hot??

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Now if they would just put back the dipstick for transmission fluid . . . .

Steve
I'm willing to bet that the engine oil dipstick will be eliminated next. My wife's car doesn't have a dipstick for the engine or the transmission.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm willing to bet that the engine oil dipstick will be eliminated next. My wife's car doesn't have a dipstick for the engine or the transmission.
the new 3.0 turbo does not have an oil dipstick.

Scram1500

Reaction score
How does one check the oil without a dipstick?

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Sounds like a man with my own experiences.
Son learned on our 1994 Ford (Fix Or Repair Daily)

No Gear oil or brake fluid problem However:
Anti freeze - leaking heating core
Oil - main seal - 3 times to get it right
Power steering - leaking hose
Transmission - puke out all the tranny fluid when hot outside

The best was a vacuum diaphragm on the transmission that went bad. Would suck the oil out of the transmission and put it in the engine. Tranny fluid down, engine oil up. And the mechanic that replaced it dropped the pin required for it to work and didn't know about it. Took some time to diagnose the issues. Pin was made from a 10d nail (no longer stocked).

Good teaching/learning experience.

Could have cashed in on the:

But needed to put my beliefs over my wallet. Car in driveway awaiting removal and reincarnation. Worth 300 in scrap (with catalytic converter) last time I checked.

Yep. Learned on the old $500 pickup!

Have to admit though one of the best clunkers I had was a Ford EXP. Bought it for $200 to save some gas from my 8mpg Dodge and buy something nice. I was told it was on its last leg, clutch was about to go. Drove it like I stole it for almost 2 years. Never changed the oil (added some) or any maintenance and sold it again for $200. Had to carry a 2x4 to wedge myself in and out of it but what a deal! 😄

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I remember in the Marine Corps, back in the 70's I was an automotive mech, (3521 MOS). Before a driver could check out a vehicle from the motorpool, they had to do a pre-check. One new private checked the oil on a M-151 Jeep, and thought you were supposed to fill it to the top of the FILL HOLE! Didn't make it out of the gate....

Jako

Reaction score
Yep. Learned on the old $500 pickup!

Have to admit though one of the best clunkers I had was a Ford EXP. Bought it for $200 to save some gas from my 8mpg Dodge and buy something nice. I was told it was on its last leg, clutch was about to go. Drove it like I stole it for almost 2 years. Never changed the oil (added some) or any maintenance and sold it again for $200. Had to carry a 2x4 to wedge myself in and out of it but what a deal! 😄
The good old days, $200 dollar car, mine was $250 for a FIAT (Fix It Again Tony) back in 1976. Father in laws 2011 Honda Fit with 12,000 miles was quoted $16,174 by Carvana . The sticker was $18,400.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A bit of perspective on oil level. Before the invention of synthetic oil, a friend had a Ford pickup with the Y-block V8. They had a tendency for return passages to plug up and his was no exception. Could drive back and forth to work, which was only a few miles, every day. Longer trips took extra time. He would drive 'til the pressure dropped, then pull over and rest for a half hour or so while oil filtered back down from the rocker galleys into the crankcase. Fire it back up and repeat. Drove it like that about three years before trading up. :giggle:

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I remember in the Marine Corps, back in the 70's I was an automotive mech, (3521 MOS). Before a driver could check out a vehicle from the motorpool, they had to do a pre-check. One new private checked the oil on a M-151 Jeep, and thought you were supposed to fill it to the top of the FILL HOLE! Didn't make it out of the gate....
My old Dodge was a retired M-880. You had to love the classic brush strokes from the hand painted camo!

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I was in when that thing was introduced....(77-81).
I had a '77. It still had the blackout light system, wooden bed rails and seats and best was the big canvas top. Beat a tent any day! Funny y when I went for a state safety inspection one year. The station was set so you turned sharp 90 into the bay. The little Asian mechanic jumps in, was hanging on the wheel trying to turn it and says " You power steer broken". I said no, pointed at my arm and said "Power steering". He had me pull it in. 😅

Happy veteran's day. Thank you for my freedom.

Users who are viewing this thread