5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Checking Oil Hot??

Ramdeathstar

Reaction score
I've always checked my engine oil once the engine reached ambient temperature. However the manual for the Rams recommend checking it 5 minutes after the engine has been fully warmed up. So I decided to try this and the dipstick just looked like oil was smeared all over it (yes, I wiped it and put it back in) It didn't seem to show that distinct oil line that it does when you check it at ambient temperatures. Anyone else have any input on this? I wish these damn vehicle manufacturers would stop trying to re-invent the wheel.

U

User_3336

I've always checked my engine oil once the engine reached ambient temperature. However the manual for the Rams recommend checking it 5 minutes after the engine has been fully warmed up. So I decided to try this and the dipstick just looked like oil was smeared all over it (yes, I wiped it and put it back in) It didn't seem to show that distinct oil line that it does when you check it at ambient temperatures. Anyone else have any input on this? I wish these damn vehicle manufacturers would stop trying to re-invent the wheel.
What exactly was "re-invented" here??

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Remember there is a low and high side on any dipstick that goes in at an angle, you want to check the low side only for accuracy, the other side won't be accurate. I've noticed when I check cold or after 5 minutes warm, the level is about the same, so checking cold should still be accurate even vs. hot after 5 minutes.

If the oil looks too thin, make sure to wipe really well and before the last couple of inches before you hit bottom, go really slow and pull out after about 1-2 seconds, slowly. It should give you a better sample.

(Yes, I know there will be a lot of "That's what she said" jokes for my last sentence there. ).

Av1

Reaction score
I've always checked my engine oil once the engine reached ambient temperature. However the manual for the Rams recommend checking it 5 minutes after the engine has been fully warmed up.
Checking it at operating temperature is the correct way to do it. Do what SD Rebel said with regard to going slowly and reading the lower side. You will have much better results.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Can you please explain what you mean?

Sure, on dipsticks that go in at an angle, the flat part of the dipstick facing down that makes initial contact with the oil will typically show a higher oil level than the other side of the dipstick.

When you check the oil sample, look at both sides, if there is a difference in level, use the lower sample level, that would be the accurate level.

There was a good video that shows this, but can't find it, here is a picture that shows it....

Dipstick.jpg

Dipstick 2.jpg

U

User_3336

One side of the dip stick has markings, the other doesn't. i've never noticed mine
different on either side. I look at both sides as soon as I pull the dipstick out....

SD Rebel

Reaction score
One side of the dip stick has markings, the other doesn't. i've never noticed mine
different on either side. I look at both sides as soon as I pull the dipstick out...

Mine usually shows 1/4" higher on one side, I line up my dipstick (flip it 180 degrees) so the markings show on the low side.

There could be variations in the dipsticks, they are two pieces bolted together, some may show less variation from one side to the other.

If you don't notice a variation, you are good, but in case you notice a low and high reading, go with the low reading.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
This really isnt as difficut as people are making it out to be. Check it whenever you want, hot or cold. If the oil level is between the high and low marks you're good. If it's low then add some.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
This really isnt as difficut as people are making it out to be. Check it whenever you want, hot or cold. If the oil level is between the high and low marks you're good. If it's low then add some.
Exactly. It's checking your oil. Your not preparing for a mission to mars.

Last edited:

Ramdeathstar

Reaction score
Exactly. It's checking your oil. Your not preparing for a mission to mars.
Lmao I agree man, and believe me I felt it a little ridiculous to ask. But prior to owning this Ram i've only ever had older vehicles (2008 and older) and this truck cost me a pretty penny, so yeah I may ask some dumb and seemingly obvious questions because i'm just not familiar with all the new **** they're doing with vehicles these days.

Dewey

Reaction score
Exactly. The safe range in the hash marks is pretty easy to hit. I check mine cold and don’t really notice any difference between hot and cold as long as I give the oil a few minutes to drain back to the pan.

Jako

Reaction score
Check fluids the old fashioned way.

Look at your parking spot. Puddle of green? Add coolant. Puddle of brown? Add oil. Puddle of red? Add ATF. Puddle that stinks like heck? Add gear oil.

No puddle? Drive on.
Sounds like a man with my own experiences.
Son learned on our 1994 Ford (Fix Or Repair Daily)

No Gear oil or brake fluid problem However:
Anti freeze - leaking heating core
Oil - main seal - 3 times to get it right
Power steering - leaking hose
Transmission - puke out all the tranny fluid when hot outside

The best was a vacuum diaphragm on the transmission that went bad. Would suck the oil out of the transmission and put it in the engine. Tranny fluid down, engine oil up. And the mechanic that replaced it dropped the pin required for it to work and didn't know about it. Took some time to diagnose the issues. Pin was made from a 10d nail (no longer stocked).

Good teaching/learning experience.

Could have cashed in on the:

But needed to put my beliefs over my wallet. Car in driveway awaiting removal and reincarnation. Worth 300 in scrap (with catalytic converter) last time I checked.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The 5 minute wait time is so oil has time to drain back into the pan. What they don't want is for you to drive the truck to a gas station, turn off the engine and check it immediately. That could give you a false "low oil" reading on the dipstick.

Check it cold or hot. Doesn't matter.

Users who are viewing this thread