5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Check in if you just don't care about modding anymore

bigoldthor

Reaction score
And right after I posted this, I bought a set of WeatherTech front floor mats at my dealer while waiting on the tailgate cable repair/replacement, haha. (Don't laugh, they were about 23% off for me since I just bought a new vehicle there, so only $99, pretty good price I think.)

I think I'm done with all these MAJOR modifications! ;)

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
And right after I posted this, I bought a set of WeatherTech front floor mats at my dealer while waiting on the tailgate cable repair/replacement, haha. (Don't laugh, they were about 23% off for me since I just bought a new vehicle there, so only $99, pretty good price I think.)

When you go to sell it, it can be returned to stock without too much work. :giggle:

LimitedDRP23

Reaction score
I wouldn't say I am in the exact same boat, but I am at least in the same lake.... I'll be 34 in a couple weeks and as I age (mature) I have other things/hobbies I'd rather spend money on (house, golf, Vette). I also want to be done working in my mid to late 50's so planning for the future is important. I also get bored with my DD's so they tend to change every 24 months...

Full disclosure... I have some WeatherTech goodies, will be adding a tonneau, and adding a B2 maggie. Dumping thousands of dollars into big mods is out of the question.

drew7811

Reaction score
I'm more than happy with the way my truck came from the dealer. It already had the spray-on and tonneau cover, tinted windows, and nice wheels. I used to be into exhaust in my 20's, but now that i'm 40 I don't want to be THAT neighbor. The only thing I have done to mine is the Husky liners. I am still very much into detailing inside and out and every chance I get I will be keeping it as shiny as I can. That's about it.

DesertRebel

Reaction score
Gawd I wish!

I told myself I wouldn't go down that (mod) road again... :rolleyes:

It's truly an addiction / disease.

If/when I get a TRX - I'm pretty sure no modding (don't screw it up and make me a liar FCA!)

DesertRebel

Reaction score

One thing we ALL know is - its never "done" ;)

kilcher

Reaction score
Good to see I'm not the only one. Bought a used 2019 a few weeks ago. It has a plastic drop-in liner, I plan on replacing that with a spray-in liner and adding a hard folding cover, other than that I'm pretty happy with it as it sits. I wouldn't trade our paid-off house, college funds, and being able to "retire" at age 46 to be a stay at home dad for a bigger truck. When you spend money on stuff that's basically what you're doing.

Last edited:

tobyw

Reaction score
I still very much enjoy modifying my vehicles, but I've become a much firmer believer in using the right tool for the job when it comes to installation. I have invested in a 2-post lift, and have amassed a wide selection of "proper" tools to make the jobs easier. I used to do quite a bit of work with a limited supply of tools, mostly on my back in the driveway, using brute force and creativity. Now I'm much happier to spend time researching the proper tools and techniques, and overall find the difference in not only quality but ease of installation to be night and day.

bigoldthor

Reaction score
I still very much enjoy modifying my vehicles, but I've become a much firmer believer in using the right tool for the job when it comes to installation. I have invested in a 2-post lift, and have amassed a wide selection of "proper" tools to make the jobs easier. I used to do quite a bit of work with a limited supply of tools, mostly on my back in the driveway, using brute force and creativity. Now I'm much happier to spend time researching the proper tools and techniques, and overall find the difference in not only quality but ease of installation to be night and day.
This is an excellent point. Even though I still won't be doing any major modding, if I were, this would be the right approach. Especially for a middle-aged fellow such as myself. :)

R

Rob5589

Early 50's, scaled back, but still like to play with my vehicles. Mostly improvements for what I use the truck for. Step bars for short wife, shell to house gear and sleep in as needed, slush mags for dirty boots, waders, etc, mud guards to keep crap out and to make cleaning less of a hassle, tint to help cool in 100+ degree heat. Plan on the Bilsteins for some extra ground clearance and slightly taller Duratracs to better handle terrain I deal with during hunting season. I leave the engine alone; no cold air, exhaust, chips, etc.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When I was younger, I was a lot more into it. Different wheels, tires, lifts, performance enhancements, CAI's, exhaust, etc. Now that I'm in my mid-50's, I just don't care about it. Not knocking anyone who does...more power to you (pun somewhat intended). :) I just can't crawl around, over, and under things like I used to, and when I do, I pay for it the next day or two, hahaha.

The extent of my modding now is tonneau covers, maybe different floormats, making sure I have step bars (not anything fancy), interesting organizational stuff, a bed mat, etc. And some minor cleaning and detailing. That's....pretty much it.
Yup. Once the age starts catching up with you, there's a whole lot less enthusiasm for simple **** like lying on the cold garage floor changing oil, much less tearing vehicles apart to mod them!

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a few of my own, though I tend to think of these as "additions" rather than "mods" since you can take them away ;)

full

Trailer hitch cover

full

Leer Cap

full

Dog paw console cover that I forgot to unwrinkle before I took the picture

full

Seat covers to keep construction debris from ruining the seats

full

Spray in bedliner

bigoldthor

Reaction score
I have others, but it won't let me post them for some reason... :unsure:
You'll have to tell us even if you can't share pics. And you're right, these are more additions (right up my alley) rather than mods. The only other additions I've made that I haven't already mentioned are my University of Kentucky (UK) front license plate and hitch cover. Go Cats! :)

Konrad

Reaction score
I have a few of my own, though I tend to think of these as "additions" rather than "mods" since you can take them away ;)

full

Trailer hitch cover

full

Leer Cap

full

Dog paw console cover that I forgot to unwrinkle before I took the picture

full

Seat covers to keep construction debris from ruining the seats

full

Spray in bedliner

What are these seat covers, please? They look really nice. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rsmeanie

Reaction score
I’m the opposite. I’m 57 now and still addicted to modding, have been all my life. Whether it’s my cars or bikes or the house, I’m always doing something. My wife gets upset sometimes because I like keeping busy on the weekends. I rarely sit around to just watch tv. I have a tv in the garage so I can watch and work at the same time. Here’s some of my current rides. The Ram I’ve had for 10 months now.

55CF8FE4-454F-4E82-BE9A-F477FFB3ABD4.jpeg
69E371F2-78AF-4D27-8293-E04A7F2AA6B3.jpeg
D7B84DEB-4144-48DE-BE56-EC81C400FD10.jpeg
B9E0ADE7-AAB3-44FF-9DF2-A071E0350A2E.jpeg
5433A38E-5105-4D3F-B6D1-B4969CD2AB08.jpeg

Last edited:

Gen3CoupeTX

Reaction score
I hear you all on this one ... Early 50s myself, would love to have back a portion of the mod money I spent on numerous vehicles over a few decades. But in fairness, I did enjoy it. I just don't get excited about it any longer, so why continue?

I've done some basics on my Ram; bed cover, side steps, wheelwell liners, tint, dash speakers. My toy vehicle is a supercharged Viper. I've installed nitrous and superchargers on cars over the years, but bought this one turn-key. Win!

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would call things like bed covers, mud flaps, and step bars accessories, modifications are more of a modification to what is already on the truck.

Users who are viewing this thread