5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Check in if you just don't care about modding anymore

bigoldthor

Reaction score
When I was younger, I was a lot more into it. Different wheels, tires, lifts, performance enhancements, CAI's, exhaust, etc. Now that I'm in my mid-50's, I just don't care about it. Not knocking anyone who does...more power to you (pun somewhat intended). :) I just can't crawl around, over, and under things like I used to, and when I do, I pay for it the next day or two, hahaha.

The extent of my modding now is tonneau covers, maybe different floormats, making sure I have step bars (not anything fancy), interesting organizational stuff, a bed mat, etc. And some minor cleaning and detailing. That's....pretty much it.

Rick3019

Reaction score
When I was younger, I was a lot more into it. Different wheels, tires, lifts, performance enhancements, CAI's, exhaust, etc. Now that I'm in my mid-50's, I just don't care about it. Not knocking anyone who does...more power to you (pun somewhat intended). :) I just can't crawl around, over, and under things like I used to, and when I do, I pay for it the next day or two, hahaha.

The extent of my modding now is tonneau covers, maybe different floormats, making sure I have step bars (not anything fancy), interesting organizational stuff, a bed mat, etc. And some minor cleaning and detailing. That's....pretty much it.
Yeah when you’re our age naps are more important

popcenator

Reaction score
I'm pretty much in the same boat, but for a different reason. I feel like this truck doesn't need much done to it for me to really enjoy driving it. I'm getting an exhaust, some steps in the near future, and a liner, maybe a level. Outside of that I'm very happy with this truck as is.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was "one of those guys". SEMA loved me for many years because I was buying plenty of aftermarket parts for my trucks. My truck now is just a transportation "tool". Sure I want it nice but I'm not dumping a bunch of appearance /performance stuff on it.
My Jeep was purchased fully modded and to be honest I'm not driving it much and will likely broom it this year. My mod or "mad" money is spent on my Camaro

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My Mod money is pretty much spent helping my kids (young adults) pay for college. In my younger days I would spend everything I had and take out loans to mod my vehicles. Now, while I can afford to do it; I prefer to hold onto my money. Every now an then I get an itch and start thinking that I'll order the RAM Airflow, a cat-back exhaust, aftermarket wheels, lift kit, etc.. Then, I really think about it and realize that I don't need those things to have a great truck; its pretty good as it is.

bigoldthor

Reaction score
You've described me. Tonneau, rear fender liners, rubber mats, running boards. Oh, and Rain-x on the windows.
Does yours have the rain-sensing wipers? If it does, I've heard that Rain-x can interfere with their performance, but that's anecdotal. Let me know as I'm curious about doing it myself.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Does yours have the rain-sensing wipers? If it does, I've heard that Rain-x can interfere with their performance, but that's anecdotal. Let me know as I'm curious about doing it myself.
No rain-sensing. At least that I've seen. They've never come on unless I turned them on.

Brady_SS

Reaction score
Content now with stock. I might add a few accessories like a tonneau cover but otherwise I keep them as the factory built them. In my younger days I would tear everything apart including the engine and upgrade until I ran out of things to do. I trade my primary vehicle in about every 3 years or so, no point in spending too much time or money. I do like some of the mods that have been done and posted here and respect the effort and ingenuity tremendously.

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
No rain-sensing. At least that I've seen. They've never come on unless I turned them on.
You have to turn them on in the infotainment screen , under lights and wipers I believe . If you have rainsensing wipers you just check yes to turn them on and after that you just turn your wipers to pulse and they do the rest .
Anyway getting back on track , I don’t mod my vehicles anymore either aside from mud guards , spray in bed liner , tonneau cover and side steps .

HotHareSpey

Reaction score
Like many of you, I once modded like a mad man. I had a slew of Land Rovers (I know, I know, hey, we all have our own error in judgement - I just made mine repeatedly) roof tents, fantasies of isolated desert vistas and wild running rivers, etc

Now that I’m a parent and despite my income being higher than I’ve ever had before - I only consider a good kitchen set up and I flirt with the idea of the hard shell roof tents just for my ten year olds would be memories

Realistically we might use it a handful of times and the money would be wasted. We can certainly get away with just sleeping under the stars in the bed if we were some place safe

ironically the overland bizz has never been bigger. It went through quite a lull andappeared to fizzle but then it made a strong come back in the last three to four years

the other thing is people. I find a lot of ex-patriot, camo loving, lone wolf types to be too abundant and the anti social immediate suspicious individuals unfriendly or even dangerous

to say nothing of all the unnecessary BS for sale - topo maps and iPads strapped to the dash, every kind of redundant gadget you’ll use maybe twice at premium prices all feels a bit much

to say nothing of the youtube “expeditions” of people driving $250k in vehicles and crap they don’t need while making long dramatic narratives like they are the first to drive to Baja or Idaho - over produced and over dramatized. Now they add sh1t like para sailing and whatever nuance to separate themselves from the other youboobers...

By all accounts if you look at the popular forums, so many people seem to be living in this fantasy movie where having a 1911 and some 40inch wheels means you are hardcore and discerning. It’s wack

Americans traveled across the country in old Fords to explore the National Parks. They spent money, increased local businesses via tourism, and got to experience American natural wonders. There is so much prejudice regardless of race or gender now, I prefer to fly outside the country to travel. I don’t find Americans friendly in contrast to Europeans, Central America, or Canada.

boy I’m bitchy today - must be the Coronavirus (wink wink) :)

Le_Slacker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I haven't done a thing to mine yet, other than fill it up every week and get a new snowbrush!

I have a small list that I will do when it gets nicer out - hard tonneau cover, side steps
down the road, maybe some more aggressive looking tires...

and that's really it for what I want to do!

LincolnSixAlpha

Reaction score

I'm with you on this, early 50's here my interest in modding my new 2020 Ram Rebel is pretty damn low. Although I did buy a new dual-sport bike and I'm having fun installing a few goodies, quality of life goodies, but nothing more, no exhaust or intake changes no nothing beyond a rear rack, grips, hand guards and a rear rack! Same with the truck, got a catch can and that's it.

Full disclosure here, I just traded out of my 2018 JL wrangler about 3 months ago and blew about 10K on upgrades on it, looking back as I've done so many times in the past -- what a waste of money and I sit here after the fact shaking my head at my nonsense.

69385vette

Reaction score
I feel the same, in my 70's. I added mud guards,, rock guard and a tonneau cover for hauling stuff in the bed. I feel like the FCA engineers did what was needed to make the truck serviceable and don't see a need to mess with it. I like the air suspension and the headlight and wiper automatics. Great truck just like it comes! I really enjoy driving it.

bigoldthor

Reaction score
Content now with stock. I might add a few accessories like a tonneau cover but otherwise I keep them as the factory built them. In my younger days I would tear everything apart including the engine and upgrade until I ran out of things to do. I trade my primary vehicle in about every 3 years or so, no point in spending too much time or money. I do like some of the mods that have been done and posted here and respect the effort and ingenuity tremendously.
Exactly. I tip my hat to those folks who do that stuff (as long as they don't mess up something else in the process). It's very interesting, but I'm just a spectator on most of it now.

bigoldthor

Reaction score
Like many of you, I once modded like a mad man. I had a slew of Land Rovers (I know, I know, hey, we all have our own error in judgement - I just made mine repeatedly) roof tents, fantasies of isolated desert vistas and wild running rivers, etc

Now that I’m a parent and despite my income being higher than I’ve ever had before - I only consider a good kitchen set up and I flirt with the idea of the hard shell roof tents just for my ten year olds would be memories

Realistically we might use it a handful of times and the money would be wasted. We can certainly get away with just sleeping under the stars in the bed if we were some place safe

ironically the overland bizz has never been bigger. It went through quite a lull andappeared to fizzle but then it made a strong come back in the last three to four years

the other thing is people. I find a lot of ex-patriot, camo loving, lone wolf types to be too abundant and the anti social immediate suspicious individuals unfriendly or even dangerous

to say nothing of all the unnecessary BS for sale - topo maps and iPads strapped to the dash, every kind of redundant gadget you’ll use maybe twice at premium prices all feels a bit much

to say nothing of the youtube “expeditions” of people driving $250k in vehicles and crap they don’t need while making long dramatic narratives like they are the first to drive to Baja or Idaho - over produced and over dramatized. Now they add sh1t like para sailing and whatever nuance to separate themselves from the other youboobers...

By all accounts if you look at the popular forums, so many people seem to be living in this fantasy movie where having a 1911 and some 40inch wheels means you are hardcore and discerning. It’s wack

Americans traveled across the country in old Fords to explore the National Parks. They spent money, increased local businesses via tourism, and got to experience American natural wonders. There is so much prejudice regardless of race or gender now, I prefer to fly outside the country to travel. I don’t find Americans friendly in contrast to Europeans, Central America, or Canada.

boy I’m bitchy today - must be the Coronavirus (wink wink) :)
Well said! Nailed it.

Users who are viewing this thread