5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Check for sludge in your Radiator overfill (5.7 Hemi)

shktrk

Reaction score
My truck is a 2020 with less than 38,000 miles on it. I noticed sludge in my radiator overfill a few weeks ago. I read on the forums that it could be from mixing coolants (which I never did) or from a faulty oil cooler. Well, mine was actually a bad head gasket. I just heard today that the valves also had the sludge buildup on them. I am apparently getting my entire engine replaced now, after only 4 years.

This is my first FCA vehicle and I am thinking it might be my last

Ram1500OwnerMaybe

Reaction score
Are they replacing it with the new inline 6 Turbo???:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Seriously, sorry to hear as that is a significant issue but at least they are replacing it......hopefully by competent mechanics.
Best of luck.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
Did you notice any milky oil? Mine had like this sort of "dusty" residue in the coolant tank. I also noticed my coolant was low at one point. I've read this is common because it's not a completely closed system.

Usually with a bad head gasket you'll get some milkiness to the oil and/or steam out the exhaust.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Did you notice any milky oil? Mine had like this sort of "dusty" residue in the coolant tank. I also noticed my coolant was low at one point. I've read this is common because it's not a completely closed system.

Usually with a bad head gasket you'll get some milkiness to the oil and/or steam out the exhaust.
I've had to add over time, along with the anti-freeze smell, no issue with the oil. Learned to live with it and monitor.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
I've had to add over time, along with the anti-freeze smell, no issue with the oil. Learned to live with it and monitor.

Yup. Seems to be the case. I've always changed my old oil and it comes out black/brown color which is not indicative of oil. In OP's case, you would imagine it might have started to manifest as a milkiness in the oil.

shktrk

Reaction score
No milkiness in the oil noticed. Just sludge in coolant overflow

Alejandro_Andretti

Reaction score
I had this issue a while back and noticed my coolant is low too recently.. how did you find out about the head gasket? I have 43k on a 2020

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
I had this issue a while back and noticed my coolant is low too recently.. how did you find out about the head gasket? I have 43k on a 2020

Mine was low around that mileage. I added and now it's been fine. Mind you, I added the correct 10 yr 150,000mi 50/50 pre-diluted coolant from Mopar which is now, a different color (OK to mix the colors). My theory on the gunk and low coolant:

- First off, these are semi-open systems. Lots of people have reported smelling coolant when they go near the truck when it's hot as well as low coolant after a while. They seem to be low around the 40-50k mark. I actually had the dealer check mine out and perform a pressure test and all was fine.

- When coolant systems heat and cool, they push and then pull back air into the reservoir. Atmospheric air has moisture in it. Shut your truck off in the rain or a hot, muggy summer night when the humidity is like 50-60%? You're pulling water, along with contaminants, into the reservoir from the humid air.

There's obviously nothing you can do about this, nor are you doing anything wrong. It's a very common issue it seems with the trucks. Gunk on the dipstick, gunk under the cap, etc.

What you really want to watch out for is milky oil on the dipstick or during an oil change, steam coming from the exhaust, and sometimes people will smell a sweet burning coolant smell from the exhaust.

shktrk

Reaction score
Again, no milky oil noticed. I just noticed sludge in the coolant overflow and took it into the dealer. I expected a faulty oil cooler, as others had reported. They found the bad head gasket. In the process of preparing for the new head gasket, they checked the valves and determined their was too much gunk on them to repair.

I just got the approval for the new motor today. Sounds like a two week job, with shipping, etc.

A new motor sounds great (2 year, unlimited milage warranty on it). My concern is that it is properly installed and I don't have future issues.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
By gunk on the valves, I assume you mean carbon. I would not have expected that at that low mileage. Are you getting crappy fuel? (Like there is any way for most of us to be able to know or do anything about it.) Or is it from trying to recycle vaporized coolant due to the gasket leak? In either case, valves are not that hard to clean. Time consuming with spring compressor and wire brush times sixteen. Or is there more to the story, like cracked or warped head? I suppose once the dealer had Ram talked into a new engine, they didn't look back. So I guess we run with it and hope for the best. 🤷‍♂️

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Mine was low around that mileage. I added and now it's been fine. Mind you, I added the correct 10 yr 150,000mi 50/50 pre-diluted coolant from Mopar which is now, a different color (OK to mix the colors). My theory on the gunk and low coolant:

- First off, these are semi-open systems. Lots of people have reported smelling coolant when they go near the truck when it's hot as well as low coolant after a while. They seem to be low around the 40-50k mark. I actually had the dealer check mine out and perform a pressure test and all was fine.

- When coolant systems heat and cool, they push and then pull back air into the reservoir. Atmospheric air has moisture in it. Shut your truck off in the rain or a hot, muggy summer night when the humidity is like 50-60%? You're pulling water, along with contaminants, into the reservoir from the humid air.

There's obviously nothing you can do about this, nor are you doing anything wrong. It's a very common issue it seems with the trucks. Gunk on the dipstick, gunk under the cap, etc.

What you really want to watch out for is milky oil on the dipstick or during an oil change, steam coming from the exhaust, and sometimes people will smell a sweet burning coolant smell from the exhaust.

It's purple now right? I can still get the orange stuff from the dealer for like $35, or the purple Mopar on Amazon for like $20. So I should be fine using the purple stuff? Noticed my dipstick is just a slightly above the min mark. Probably been like that since new, no sludge.

EDIT: Never mind, I double check the fluid, it looks orange visually, but get it on a white paper towel and it's a light pink, which probably started off as purple.

I do a Blackstone Oil analysis with every oil change, since I do it annually with about 4,000 miles. Part of the report shows if they find any coolant/water residue, been good so far (knock on wood).

Last edited:

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
It's purple now right? I can still get the orange stuff from the dealer for like $35, or the purple Mopar on Amazon for like $20. So I should be fine using the purple stuff? Noticed my dipstick is just a slightly above the min mark. Probably been like that since new, no sludge.

EDIT: Never mind, I double check the fluid, it looks orange visually, but get it on a white paper towel and it's a light pink, which probably started off as purple.

I do a Blackstone Oil analysis with every oil change, since I do it annually with about 4,000 miles. Part of the report shows if they find any coolant/water residue, been good so far (knock on wood).

Sorry for the delayed reply but believe it or not, it is actually purple to start. I spoke to my dealer. Apparently the purple stuff turns like a reddish/orange when it goes through heat cycles. I had a mini-panic when I thought I put the wrong coolant in. It is in-fact, supposed to be purple.

The 10 year, 150k is good to go in our trucks. Either pre-diluted or concentrate mixed properly are fine. Two different part numbers to make things confusing.

Ramfancy

Reaction score
Pretty impressive that they are replacing the op’s motor on their dime!

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Sorry for the delayed reply but believe it or not, it is actually purple to start. I spoke to my dealer. Apparently the purple stuff turns like a reddish/orange when it goes through heat cycles. I had a mini-panic when I thought I put the wrong coolant in. It is in-fact, supposed to be purple.

The 10 year, 150k is good to go in our trucks. Either pre-diluted or concentrate mixed properly are fine. Two different part numbers to make things confusing.

Appreciate it!

I discovered that was the case, not sure why it looks orange under light, but just dab it with a paper towel and it's freaking purple!

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
Appreciate it!

I discovered that was the case, not sure why it looks orange under light, but just dab it with a paper towel and it's freaking purple!

Yeah I have no idea lol. Probably to drive people who do work on their own trucks crazy?

Couldn't they have just made it green...or red..and let it stay that color?

Users who are viewing this thread