5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Check Engine light

jfigster

Reaction score
Drove my 2019 Ram V6 1500 on Monday of last week and noticed my yellow engine light was on. Didn't used it till Thursday, drove 10 miles. Today (Saturday) The engine light was on when I drove it Auto Zone to get the code but it started raining so I returned home. 1 hour later I returned to Auto zone and the light was out. When I used the remote start the truck would start but turn off after about 4 seconds and then remote start would not work. My oil llife is at 29% I'm not sure if I should take it to the dealer now or wait for my next oil change. The engine light is off now and the remote start is working.
Thanks

GyRoCoN

Reaction score
Remote start won't work with an active Check engine light. If whatever is causing it is intermittent, the CEL will go out after a certain number of key cycles where the truck doesn't detect the fault. Your best bet, and least hassle tbh, would be to pick up a cheap OBD-II code reader and pull the code if the light comes back on. then you can google the code and try and get some idea of what you are dealing with before heading to the dealership. You should be able to clear most codes with one as well, and see if it comes back. Personally, I always keep one in my vehicles along with a tire inflator, plugs, and jumper cables as part of standard kit as they have saved me time, money and headaches numerous times over the years.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
OMG.... you said "tire plug". Are you wearing flame retardant clothing?

23RAM

Reaction score
Drove my 2019 Ram V6 1500 on Monday of last week and noticed my yellow engine light was on. Didn't used it till Thursday, drove 10 miles. Today (Saturday) The engine light was on when I drove it Auto Zone to get the code but it started raining so I returned home. 1 hour later I returned to Auto zone and the light was out. When I used the remote start the truck would start but turn off after about 4 seconds and then remote start would not work. My oil llife is at 29% I'm not sure if I should take it to the dealer now or wait for my next oil change. The engine light is off now and the remote start is working.
Were you low on fuel? If the fuel level is "low" remote start will kill the engine after a few seconds.

Regardless, you need to find out why the CEL was on. Low fuel won't trigger it.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LoL "plug" in the sense they plug holes in a pinch. they are the string type not the dinky plugs I believe you are referring to.
I carry the same. Think they are great. I have just seen mention of them really trigger people on here before. 👍

Users who are viewing this thread