5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Check Engine Light

UncaBuddha

Reaction score
After my recent troubles I just can't get a break. Truck was at the dealer 6 weeks for an internal oil leak. I drove it home and now have a Check Engine light. The closest service center says they can't see the truck until LATE MAY! LATE F*CKING MAY! The lady said if the light isn't flashing that the truck was okay to drive. The light is on steady.

Does anyone know if it is okay to drive. I plan to take it to Autozone to have the codes read.
Thanks.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Without knowing the code, there's no way to say if it's safe or not. The fact that it's not flashing only means it is not a "catalyst destroying misfire." It could be a whole bunch of useless "lost communication with..." codes from having the battery disconnected while they worked on it. Or somebody forgot to plug something in, or left a vacuum hose off. Again, no way to even guess without seeing what codes are set.

UncaBuddha

Reaction score
Went to Advance Auto Parts and popped the hood to look around while the tech plugged in the code reader.
This truck was in the shop 6 weeks for an "oil seep" and they found sludge in the turbo intercooler so replaced it.
The tech said, "the code show a disconnected PCV valve" (or something like that) a the same time as I said, "hey, I'm missing a hose". A hose at the front of the engine was missing and there was oily residue on the fitting so I assumed it was the PCV hose. Neither of us could figure out where the other end went until we found the disconnected hose and snapped it into place. Restarted the engine and cleared the code and CEL went out!

Here's my question: Does anyone install catch cans in this hose. I know some folks say NEVER but remember my intercooler was sludged up once already! The dealership said the truck had "passed the blowby test", whatever that is. Is that because the hose was disconnected? Or was the hose disconnected to run the test and the tech just forgot to reconnect it. (I don't think that was it because I didn't get the CEL until about 40 miles after I picked up the repaired truck).

Users who are viewing this thread