5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Check Engine Light

Supercraig1

Reaction score
2 weeks old (to us) CPO Rebel with 8400 miles. Check engine light just came on. No obvious symptoms.

Anyone wanna guess what dealer service tells me on Monday appointment?

Grumble grumble

Winner gets an imaginary ticker tape parade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wsmith

Reaction score
put tape over it or that is normal operation. Or maybe, it's supposed to be on to let you know your engine is running.

Last edited:

Amazing93

Reaction score
Gas cap isn't on tight......yes I know there's no gas cap that's what makes it an even better "dealer diagnosis". But run to an auto parts store and look at the code. Just don't erase it. It won't hurt a thing to take a look.

Supercraig1

Reaction score
Gas cap isn't on tight......yes I know there's no gas cap that's what makes it an even better "dealer diagnosis". But run to an auto parts store and look at the code. Just don't erase it. It won't hurt a thing to take a look.

Winner winner

Went to autozone and borrowed the reader. P0440 and P0441

Maybe I’ll wait a few more fill/drive cycles before going in

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If you don't notice any drive issues, should be fine to wait. I would get a $14 OBDII reader at Amazon so you can read but also clear codes and engine lights.

On one of our vehicles, it turned out the engine light was a fuel tank sensor that was bad, was told we could wait to get it fixed after speaking with the dealer, so I cleared the code using my OBD II reader and went on my merry way. It would reappear after 3,000 miles or so, I would just reset it again. A year later, when I finally had a chance to take it to the dealer, they dropped the fuel tank and replaced the sensor.

Richard320

Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
If anybody overfilled the gas tank -- you know, click it a few times to squeeze that last 80¢ in -- you can get liquid gas into the vapor vent line. Then what happens is the EVAP monitor starts to run and when it puts some vacuum on a hose that should flow easily, it doesn't. because it's try to lift liquid from where it settled in the low spot of the lines up to wherever the purge valve is mounted underhood.

It happened once to me on my Wrangler but cleared itself before I could start diagnosis. Then it happened again a couple months later. And then a lightbulb went off and I thought I had it figured. And more than fifteen years later, it hasn't come back. And I force myself to trust the fuel nozzle.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you don't notice any drive issues, should be fine to wait. I would get a $14 OBDII reader at Amazon so you can read but also clear codes and engine lights.

On one of our vehicles, it turned out the engine light was a fuel tank sensor that was bad, was told we could wait to get it fixed after speaking with the dealer, so I cleared the code using my OBD II reader and went on my merry way. It would reappear after 3,000 miles or so, I would just reset it again. A year later, when I finally had a chance to take it to the dealer, they dropped the fuel tank and replaced the sensor.

Can we clear codes? I was under the impression that the security gateway blocked us from sending commands to the ecu.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Can we clear codes? I was under the impression that the security gateway blocked us from sending commands to the ecu.

Never had to with the RAM, but no issues with my other recent vehicles. Though when I say clear codes, what I mean is clear the engine light, the codes are probably still stored in the computer and can be brought up.

Though maybe the RAM has something to prevent OBDII engine light clearing?

KRField

Reaction score

You can clear codes. The security gateway is to prevent “hacking” the vehicle by making changes to the systems.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can clear codes. The security gateway is to prevent “hacking” the vehicle by making changes to the systems.

Ah ok, thank you for the clarification.

Supercraig1

Reaction score
I ordered a reader. I’ll try to clear the code and see if it comes back. I’ve only filled up once since we bought it. I did fill until it clicked , but I never top off.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I ordered a reader. I’ll try to clear the code and see if it comes back. I’ve only filled up once since we bought it. I did fill until it clicked , but I never top off.

Which reader? If it's a typical Bluetooth reader, I recommend you download the Torque app on you phone. I paid the extra $5 or so for the premium version, has some nice features! Those OBDII readers have saved me so much trouble in the past, you will love it.

Supercraig1

Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread