5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Check engine light on at 250 miles

b1gj0n44

Reaction score
Bought a new 19 rebel and the check engine light came on at about 250 miles. Took it back to dealer and they couldnt find anything. So they flashed the system and gave the truck back to me. About 200 miles later, the light came back on. Truck feels like its driving fine.. but this is VERY frustrating on a $60k truck. Anyone else have this experience that was able to get it resolved? I think the service dept is lost, so if i could help point them in a direction....

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
They didn't find anything? They should have had a code to what the yellow light was for, typically emissions related.

Try another dealer to get a 2nd (or better opinion).

b1gj0n44

Reaction score
Dealer still has my truck. Same story as last time. Not able to replicate the code/not sure why its happening. They have their lead tech coming back tomorrow so are keeping it for him to look at it. This is maddening as i came out of a nice truck to buy this one.

Sfoster0717

Reaction score
I just had a check engine light come on and it gave me a P0305 code which means cylinder 5 is misfiring. The dealer couldn’t find anything wrong with the truck so they removed the coil pack and “cleaned it “ and somehow the truck is running fine, for now that is.

b1gj0n44

Reaction score
Just got an update.. they found the spark plugs were not gapped properly from the factory. He said that since there are no 'hard faults' they have to try different things.. so they are going to re-gap the spark plugs and re-test this afternoon. Fingers crossed thats all it is. I want my Rebel back

b1gj0n44

Reaction score
Truck still in service dept... latest communication is there is a fuel injector that is allowing 7% higher flow than the rest. I looked around online and found that anything over 2-3% over the rest of the injectors can cause issues. So dealer is replacing that tomorrow.. then re-testing. Fingers crossed!

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Truck still in service dept... latest communication is there is a fuel injector that is allowing 7% higher flow than the rest. I looked around online and found that anything over 2-3% over the rest of the injectors can cause issues. So dealer is replacing that tomorrow.. then re-testing. Fingers crossed!

There we go.
Good on you for making them look at it again and not taking no for an answer!
Kind of a bummer, the 5.7 Hemi is a damn good motor in the opinion of most.

Jennitran

Reaction score
Bought a new 19 rebel and the check engine light came on at about 250 miles. Took it back to dealer and they couldnt find anything. So they flashed the system and gave the truck back to me. About 200 miles later, the light came back on. Truck feels like its driving fine.. but this is VERY frustrating on a $60k truck. Anyone else have this experience that was able to get it resolved? I think the service dept is lost, so if i could help point them in a direction..... Visit this link to view the difference between obd wifi vs bluetooth in case you need.
You should have OBD2 scanner to diagnose to see what wrong with your car. Sometimes, check engine light comes on due to loosing gas cap. But good for you to figure out the issue.

b1gj0n44

Reaction score
Everything has been ok since they replaced the fuel injector that was flowing at a higher rate.

RebelYell22

Reaction score
Same issue with my rebel at 250 miles. They changed o2 sensor and was good for next 3k miles. Now back in shop for 3rd time in 2 weeks with this issue of check engine light and they cant figure it out. So angry right now as my 2013 was in the shop less in 6 years than my 19 in 3 months.

b1gj0n44

Reaction score
Same issue with my rebel at 250 miles. They changed o2 sensor and was good for next 3k miles. Now back in shop for 3rd time in 2 weeks with this issue of check engine light and they cant figure it out. So angry right now as my 2013 was in the shop less in 6 years than my 19 in 3 months.

Have them check spark plugs and fuel injectors... that was the problem with mine. Spark plugs were gapped incorrectly and then I had a fuel injector that was flowing at a slightly higher rate.

Dontfront82

Reaction score
Send it back! Get another one. The issue won't go away lol mine went 10k miles without a check engine then bamm, back to back check engine lights

RebelYell22

Reaction score
I've asked them to check the plugs and injectors, kinda got shrugged off. They are telling me that they replaced the PCM last night and are now driving off and on today to make sure light doesn't come back on. I am not holding my breath!

b1gj0n44

Reaction score
i dont think it'll be as easy as just "send it back" lol. Once the bank has the loan, the dealer can try to trade you out of it, but then you're haggling over trade value and sales price again. Most likely the dealer would love that option.. they get another sale out of it.

Dontfront82

Reaction score
i dont think it'll be as easy as just "send it back" lol. Once the bank has the loan, the dealer can try to trade you out of it, but then you're haggling over trade value and sales price again. Most likely the dealer would love that option.. they get another sale out of it.
Yea I know what u mean lol , but the sooner you get rid of it the less u lose

RebelYell22

Reaction score
So they replaced the PCM. I picked up truck late Friday and by yesterday afternoon check engine light back on. Who do I need to contact with Ram above the dealership level?

Users who are viewing this thread