5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cheaper alternative to OEM bed lighting.

Damion

Reaction score
I was very disappointed my truck didn't come with the led bed lights from factory, as my '16 had them and with a tonneau cover they are a must have option.

As most people know, the factory " kit " runs over $250 ( at least up here in canada ) and requires a fairly lengthy install process. $250 for lights and a wire harness is too much money for my liking so I set out to find another way.

Talking to my awesome parts girl, we found the bed lights themselves, without the harness. Total cost for both lights $84 canadian. much cheaper. Next was the wiring.

So on the lights the pass side has 2 wires, red and black that go into a factory plug. The drivers side has 3 wires, red, black, and brown. The brown is for the switch that will turn the lights on/off and can't be used with my method, which in my case is no big deal. I probably wouldn't have used it anyway.

So here goes.....sorry I didn't take pictures.

1) Cut the factory plugs off the lights, and cap off the brown wire on the drivers side light. This will leave a red and black wire coming from each light.
2) Solder wires to the red and black on each light ( I used 2 conductor wire in a single sheave for ease ) make sure the pass side wire is long enough to run over to the drivers side and cut to length. Cut the driver side wire to length to meet the extended pass side wire.

( To run the wires, i just followed the factory harness ) Ok now our wires are ready to run into the cab.....

3) Run a wire from the drivers taillight location, following the frame to the rear of the cab, making sure it can't get burned or pinched. Once to the cab, open the back door and lift the rear seat. Pull back the rear corner of the carpet and you'll see 3 black circles on the floor, these are a sticker and will punch through easily with a screwdriver. Once punched through, the hole from outside in is in a little cubby next to the rear cab mount. When you look at it from both sides you'll see how the 2 will line up. This is where we will come into the cab.

4) once in the cab, take apart the drivers side rear door sill to expose the wire loom under it,, your looking for a white wire with a tan stripe. This is the rear cargo light signal wire. Tap into this wire with the wire you connected to the red wires of the lights ( the wire i used was already red and black so it made it easy ) and tape it to protect it. The other wire ( you did run both into the cab right ? ) gets grounded. I used the rearmost seat bolt.

5) Once everything is hooked up and taped / heat shrunk spark test time. Open either a door or tailgate and your cargo and bed lights should come on. They will also work off the dash switch.

If everything works as advertised, final zip tie wires in place and put your truck back together, and then enjoy your new cheaper factory look box lighting.

This same process can be used for other box lights too, i just prefer the factory installed look.
Hopefully this will help a few of you, take your time and go slow. Im not responsible if you mess your truck up.

Heres the parts numbers for the lights...
- 68312566AB
- 68312567AB

taz2016

Reaction score
Is there any reason you couldn't use two
68312566AB lights since you are disregarding the switch on the other light? This would save $14 on the website I would order from.

Damion

Reaction score
The lights are side specific and the led boards are angled toward the front.

angrycookieman

Reaction score
Is there any reason you couldn't ground the lights near where they are and only run one wire to the cab?

Damion

Reaction score
You could use a ground somewhere around the rear bed area, I was using 16/2 wire ( think of speaker wire in a sheath ) when I did mine so I had both power and ground ran in one cable inside the cab anyway.

The plus side, having the ground in the cab theres less chance of corrosion getting to the exposed wire.

Matthbert5150

Reaction score
@Damion
Has this been working as you wanted?
Do you have any pictures of how you wired it and of the bed lights?

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Rambox, 5.7l 4x4 3.92, Pano Sunroof, level 2 w/ 12", black appearance package, adv. Safety group, Power running boards, full ceramic tint
6" ProComp Stage 1 lift kit with 35x12.50r20 Nitto Ridge Grappler tires
20x10 - 24 fuel hostage wheels
Tazer DT, Lomax cover, Bed Rug.

*Future Mods"
Borla s-type exhaust, Mishimoto Catch Can

Damion

Reaction score
@Damion
Has this been working as you wanted?
Do you have any pictures of how you wired it and of the bed lights?

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Rambox, 5.7l 4x4 3.92, Pano Sunroof, level 2 w/ 12", black appearance package, adv. Safety group, Power running boards, full ceramic tint

*Future Mods"

Its been working exactly as the oem setup does minus the switch on the drivers side light does not work. No big deal. The lights come on when the tailgate is down anyway so I don’t believe I’d use the switch anyway.

I dont have have pictures of the wiring but if you follow the guide I posted above you will see what I mean by the description of things.

As as far as pictures of the lights themselves, they are the oem lights these trucks come with. If I didn’t tell you I had installed them, you’d think it came that way from factory

Matthbert5150

Reaction score
What does Tazer DT do?
It allows you to change some settings of the truck that usually requires the dealer to perform (if they are even willing). A great, easy way to customize your truck.

Here are most of the features which are sometimes updated.

Perf menu:
Adjust for alternate tire sizes up to 41″
Adjust for alternate axle gear ratios
Adjust for an alternate transfer case LO range ratio

TPMS menu:
Disable the TPMS system if desired
Change front/rear TPMS warning PSI limit
Radio menu:
Disable Backup camera
Enable Cargo/front/undercarriage Camera input
Enable CD audio input
Disable TravelLink (weather warnings included)

Lighting Menu:
Change DRL location
Disable DRL Dropout
Enable Fog lamp output
Disable Fog lamp dropout
Disable one-touch lane change
Disable Halo’s
Set LED 3rd brake light type
Set LED Fog light type
Set LED tail lamp type
Set LED front turn signal type
Set Trailer Tow output for use with Mopar kit

Other menu:
Disable/Enable Front and Rear Lockers (for axle swap on Powerwagon)
Enable Aux switch settings on the radio
Enable Blind spot detection (sensors required)
Change cluster splash screen to various Ram models
Enable/Disable PANIC button on remote

Live features:
Light shows: Can be accessed from the key fob or from the on-screen menu. 6 pre-set light shows and 3 make-your-own shows included. Set from the factory to only operate when parked, but can be unlocked for off-road, parade, and emergency personnel use.
Automatic Power folding mirrors – mirrors fold and extend when the ignition is turned on/off
Control front windows up/down from keyfob
Disable Navigation in-motion lockout – enter addresses while the vehicle is moving
Disable camera lockout – use the backup camera and/or added cargo/front/undercarriage camera at any speed for any length of time
Auto Traction Kill – remembers the last state of traction control and will set it on start-up
Auto StopStart Disable – remembers the last state of ESS system and will set it on start-up
Auto Tow Mode – remembers the last state of Tow mode and will set it on start-up
TurnCAM – can turn on backup camera whenever turn signals are used
0-30 and 0-60 timers
Cooldown mode – run engine fans when Ram is off, to aid in cooldown
Winch mode – raise engine idle to 2000 RPM while winching or jumping another vehicle
Line Lock: Can lock front brakes for an easy burnout
Rock Crawl: Can lock all four brakes by pressing steering wheel buttons to hold the vehicle still, especially helpful when off-road.
Button Mapping: Use cruise up, down and right buttons as quick-access to some of Tazer DT’s functions, when cruise control is off
Clear Check engine light

*Future Mods"

Lungs414

Reaction score
Thanks
So if I want to add a front camera is that possible?
Cost?
Thanks

Matthbert5150

Reaction score
Thanks
So if I want to add a front camera is that possible?
Cost?
Thanks
Here is a thread about adding cameras

[/URL]

*Future Mods"

Matthbert5150

Reaction score
link doesn't work for me
Use the search feature on the forum. You can search 360 camera . It'll pop up

*Future Mods"

dschweers

Reaction score
2019 only has 2 spots on floor only one lines up. Still looking for loom of wires.

AZHUND

Reaction score
I feel lazy, I just stuck a $20 magnet light to the side of the bed and called it a day.

Shives

Reaction score
I was very disappointed my truck didn't come with the led bed lights from factory, as my '16 had them and with a tonneau cover they are a must have option.

As most people know, the factory " kit " runs over $250 ( at least up here in canada ) and requires a fairly lengthy install process. $250 for lights and a wire harness is too much money for my liking so I set out to find another way.

Talking to my awesome parts girl, we found the bed lights themselves, without the harness. Total cost for both lights $84 canadian. much cheaper. Next was the wiring.

So on the lights the pass side has 2 wires, red and black that go into a factory plug. The drivers side has 3 wires, red, black, and brown. The brown is for the switch that will turn the lights on/off and can't be used with my method, which in my case is no big deal. I probably wouldn't have used it anyway.

So here goes.....sorry I didn't take pictures.

1) Cut the factory plugs off the lights, and cap off the brown wire on the drivers side light. This will leave a red and black wire coming from each light.
2) Solder wires to the red and black on each light ( I used 2 conductor wire in a single sheave for ease ) make sure the pass side wire is long enough to run over to the drivers side and cut to length. Cut the driver side wire to length to meet the extended pass side wire.

( To run the wires, i just followed the factory harness ) Ok now our wires are ready to run into the cab.....

3) Run a wire from the drivers taillight location, following the frame to the rear of the cab, making sure it can't get burned or pinched. Once to the cab, open the back door and lift the rear seat. Pull back the rear corner of the carpet and you'll see 3 black circles on the floor, these are a sticker and will punch through easily with a screwdriver. Once punched through, the hole from outside in is in a little cubby next to the rear cab mount. When you look at it from both sides you'll see how the 2 will line up. This is where we will come into the cab.

4) once in the cab, take apart the drivers side rear door sill to expose the wire loom under it,, your looking for a white wire with a tan stripe. This is the rear cargo light signal wire. Tap into this wire with the wire you connected to the red wires of the lights ( the wire i used was already red and black so it made it easy ) and tape it to protect it. The other wire ( you did run both into the cab right ? ) gets grounded. I used the rearmost seat bolt.

5) Once everything is hooked up and taped / heat shrunk spark test time. Open either a door or tailgate and your cargo and bed lights should come on. They will also work off the dash switch.

If everything works as advertised, final zip tie wires in place and put your truck back together, and then enjoy your new cheaper factory look box lighting.

This same process can be used for other box lights too, i just prefer the factory installed look.
Hopefully this will help a few of you, take your time and go slow. Im not responsible if you mess your truck up.

Heres the parts numbers for the lights...
- 68312566AB
- 68312567AB
Let’s get back to TOPIC!
So check this out!!
With the part numbers above, and this harness.
68370001AB

I spent sometime looking up the harness. This is off a harness I saw online. So, that’s 67
21.25 for one light and 36.22 for the other.
thats 124 so few bucks cheeper.

midntrdr

Reaction score
@Damion do the part numbers you originally listed come with the pigtail wires that plug into the back of the lights? Or is it just the lights with no external wires? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread