5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chase lights w/ bed cover?

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
curious to know if anyone is running chase lights with a soft shell bed cover ?

Last edited:

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i haven't seen anyone that did that.

the problem is you need a mounting location for the chase lights. If you're really serious about the soft cover, you can always drill into the bed side cover and bolt them there i guess. most people run some kind of rack system to mount it high up.

maybe @5thgen.ram can help you out. he has chaselights without rack.

Gotsboost

Reaction score
not no not a soft cover but like boogie lander said the bed is a good option.

Attachments

• AB77A0DF-E882-4B71-BA33-3A7064F8B09D.jpeg
    AB77A0DF-E882-4B71-BA33-3A7064F8B09D.jpeg
    189.9 KB · Views: 78

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I mounted mine on the bed rail so I could still use them as camping lights when my bed cover is up. If you’re using small lights like S2s or S1s (maybe even squadrons) you can probably just bolt them directly to the plastic (like I did). But if you’re running heavier lights like my Lasfit pods you’ll want to bolt them to the metal itself. I’ve brainstormed a few ideas but I gotta get going on testing some solid mounts for that application so I can produce them! 9710E30E-7611-4708-8902-A3958CE908E1.jpeg

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That looks good. But unfortunately my bed cover has a seal and runs over the rails . I think I may be in the market soon for a bed cover similar to yours.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
That looks good. But unfortunately my bed cover has a seal and runs over the rails . I think I may be in the market soon for a bed cover similar to yours.
Hmm bummer! I say do it. This Undercover Ultra Flex has been easily the most practical mod I’ve done on the truck and I’d buy another in a heartbeat

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I read over on the TRX Forum that @Shifts And Grins Fab is working on a set of brackets for this as well, but got held up due to various issues that popped up. There are several other brackets that I have considered that claim to work with bed covers, but they mount to the front of the bed with either screws or rivets. I know many people would be against drilling holes into the metal, but it is an option that I am considering because I do like the styling on the brackets.

@TheLegend and I have also been putting our heads together on this for well over a month or two now as we both plan to run the exact same pods from Strands for our chase light setup. He has a universal style bracket that he purchased and will be testing very soon. That may be an additional bracket option we can use if that goes as planned.

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I read over on the TRX Forum that @Shifts And Grins Fab is working on a set of brackets for this as well, but got held up due to various issues that popped up. There are several other brackets that I have considered that claim to work with bed covers, but they mount to the front of the bed with either screws or rivets. I know many people would be against drilling holes into the metal, but it is an option that I am considering because I do like the styling on the brackets.

@TheLegend and I have also been putting our heads together on this for well over a month or two now as we both plan to run the exact same pods from Strands for our chase light setup. He has a universal style bracket that he purchased and will be testing very soon. That may be an additional bracket option we can use if that goes as planned.
I’m definitely interested please share when you get those chase lights installed.

Huge fan of the strands lights I just don’t have the money for them.

Shifts And Grins Fab

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Shifts And Grins Fab

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
when i saw the first pic i thought you posted it sideways then i realized...
holy **** is everyone ok? sent it too hard?
Yep. We were all good. No bumps, bruises, scratches or anything. Hit some washboard and the back end came around. Slid off the road and the drivers side tires hit the embankment and sent it over. Drivers side, roof and then came to rest on the passenger side. The truck did its job and the parts held up well. I had just finished the prototype dual spare tire carrier and pro eagle jack mount a few days before. I didn’t even have it powder coated yet.

Shifts And Grins Fab

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Yep. We were all good. No bumps, bruises, scratches or anything. Hit some washboard and the back end came around. Slid off the road and the drivers side tires hit the embankment and sent it over. Drivers side, roof and then came to rest on the passenger side. The truck did its job and the parts held up well. I had just finished the prototype dual spare tire carrier and pro eagle jack mount a few days before. I didn’t even have it powder coated yet.
A64A5FC1-2DA6-40E6-BEBE-1772D7AE7833.jpeg

Attachments

• A1B42A5B-B6D2-4DA5-888D-6E2E1BCF8E21.jpeg
    A1B42A5B-B6D2-4DA5-888D-6E2E1BCF8E21.jpeg
    101.5 KB · Views: 3

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
holy ****!
all that from some washboard... now im slowing down lol

Shifts And Grins Fab

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
holy ****!
all that from some washboard... now im slowing down lol
It was super freak deal. Perfect storm of unfortunate events. I have been a tactical driving instructor and PIT Maneuver Instructor since 2009 and I am very comfortable in a skid. My talent/skills definitely fell short here though. :ROFLMAO:. I have spent countless hours offroad and and hairy situations on the track and this is the first time I have ended up on the lid. The most bothersome part is not being able to pinpoint what I could have done different other than going very slow which is not what the TRX is meant to do. lol. One of the guys in the truck with me is a professional Rally Racer and we have replayed it many times and he agrees the only thing that could have changed it was if we were going slower. It wasn't a road we hadn't been on multiple times over the week doing the same either. We went down that same road doing the same thing so many times.Sometimes $h!t happens.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It was super freak deal. Perfect storm of unfortunate events. I have been a tactical driving instructor and PIT Maneuver Instructor since 2009 and I am very comfortable in a skid. My talent/skills definitely fell short here though. :ROFLMAO:. I have spent countless hours offroad and and hairy situations on the track and this is the first time I have ended up on the lid. The most bothersome part is not being able to pinpoint what I could have done different other than going very slow which is not what the TRX is meant to do. lol. One of the guys in the truck with me is a professional Rally Racer and we have replayed it many times and he agrees the only thing that could have changed it was if we were going slower. It wasn't a road we hadn't been on multiple times over the week doing the same either. We went down that same road doing the same thing so many times.Sometimes $h!t happens.
yeah **** happens sometimes. even the best driver can have bad days.

so when i do go fast i let others in my group go first. I wait till everything is clear then i send it. If something's not right they'd spot it and call it out on the radio, let it be whoops too big or whatever the heck it is. That's my "protection policy" when we go fast lolll

Shifts And Grins Fab

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
yeah **** happens sometimes. even the best driver can have bad days.

so when i do go fast i let others in my group go first. I wait till everything is clear then i send it. If something's not right they'd spot it and call it out on the radio, let it be whoops too big or whatever the heck it is. That's my "protection policy" when we go fast lolll
Always a good plan

Users who are viewing this thread