5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charging devices when truck is off.

Rich221500

Reaction score
2022 Ram 1500 5.7 HV8 eTorque

Truck will charge a device on the USB / USB-C outlets when it’s not running. I’m curious at how I can do this safely while camping without draining the 12V battery and getting stranded.

Does the truck turn off those outlets before the battery gets too low? Is the 48v eTorque battery engaged to help recharge the 12v when truck is off?

I assume “no” to both questions and I shouldn’t do this… figured I’d ask someone more knowledge about the system. TIA!

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
not sure about the first question because imo that's just... taking a risk.

you can read my discussion here and follow what I did. probably more than what you need but my method leaves room for future upgrades/ adding accessories.

Rich221500

Reaction score
not sure about the first question because imo that's just... taking a risk.

you can read my discussion here and follow what I did. probably more than what you need but my method leaves room for future upgrades/ adding accessories.
Awesome thread, I’ll enjoy reading through your setup. Thanks for posting in such great detail!

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just buy a battery bank to use overnight, and then charge it via the trucks battery while it's running.
The 48V battery does NOT charge the system when then truck is off, which is why so many of us get dead 12V batteries.
I believe the USB ports work for 30 minutes to 4 hours on truck shut off.

Also the 48V battery doesn't assist the 12V on a cold start, so if you drain the 12V you need to get it jumped even if the 48V is fully charge.

The 48V is basically just for show and in use during a stopped event when start\stop is enabled.

Users who are viewing this thread