5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charge for Software Update?

Sicairos49

Reaction score
Has anyone came across an issue of either the LaneSense/Auto High Beam Service Required or Limited Function FWC Sensor-service required?

I took in our 2019 Limited for these issues. At first the dealer told us they updated the software with no changes and would have to hold it over the weekend to look into it…

A few hours later they called back and stated they did another software update and supposedly everything is now good though is charging $445 for the software update.

Wouldn’t something like this be covered under the Ram Max Care Extended Warranty?

Appreciate the input!

liq001

Reaction score
Has anyone came across an issue of either the LaneSense/Auto High Beam Service Required or Limited Function FWC Sensor-service required?

I took in our 2019 Limited for these issues. At first the dealer told us they updated the software with no changes and would have to hold it over the weekend to look into it…

A few hours later they called back and stated they did another software update and supposedly everything is now good though is charging $445 for the software update.

Wouldn’t something like this be covered under the Ram Max Care Extended Warranty?

Appreciate the input!
If you are still under warranty, then shouldn’t charge you anything.

Reverse

Reaction score
FCA will most certainly charge you for updates outside the warranty period. They tried to charge me for a regular (non-navigation) update for our Challenger, but I declined since it was working fine without it.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Appreciate the input!
You have to ask the dealer if it is covered. Even if it isn't covered, you shouldn't have to pay unless you agreed to a diagnosis charge ahead of time. Dealer can't just go ahead and do an update (that isn't covered) then expect you to pay. If your issue lead to a software update being needed, the dealer should first check if it is a covered repair. If it isn't, then they should ask you if you want the update done and give you the cost. You then agree or disagree to it.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Appreciate the input!
Yes, since there were codes thrown it should be covered minus your deductible. What I'm not sure of is whether or not they count each code as a separate repair action and charge a deductible for each.

Sicairos49

Reaction score
You have to ask the dealer if it is covered. Even if it isn't covered, you shouldn't have to pay unless you agreed to a diagnosis charge ahead of time. Dealer can't just go ahead and do an update (that isn't covered) then expect you to pay. If your issue lead to a software update being needed, the dealer should first check if it is a covered repair. If it isn't, then they should ask you if you want the update done and give you the cost. You then agree or disagree to it.
When I had originally called in about the issue, the dealer stated they wouldn’t be able to tell me if it’s covered until it’s brought in for diagnostics. The dealer advised it’s $170 just to diagnose each issue though if they find it is covered through the extended warranty then I only pay the $100 deductible per issue.

I just find it odd they called me after attempting to diagnose it stating the software update didn’t change a thing and they’d investigate it further through the weekend. Then hours later, I receive a call that a software update did in fact fix it but isn’t covered under the max care extended warranty since it only needed a software update?

I did place a call with Chrysler Factory Warranty about the situation, I should hear back in the next two business days though the Ram will supposedly be ready to pick up tomorrow.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When I had originally called in about the issue, the dealer stated they wouldn’t be able to tell me if it’s covered until it’s brought in for diagnostics. The dealer advised it’s $170 just to diagnose each issue though if they find it is covered through the extended warranty then I only pay the $100 deductible per issue.

I just find it odd they called me after attempting to diagnose it stating the software update didn’t change a thing and they’d investigate it further through the weekend. Then hours later, I receive a call that a software update did in fact fix it but isn’t covered under the max care extended warranty since it only needed a software update?

I did place a call with Chrysler Factory Warranty about the situation, I should hear back in the next two business days though the Ram will supposedly be ready to pick up tomorrow.
When you brought the car in, the dealer should have given you a copy of the repair order which lists all of your complaints and lists any diagnosis charge, did you sign this? Did you sign authorizing them to charge you $170 for each complaint? If not, then you do NOT have to pay. At the same time, if you did authorize let's say 2 complaints to be diagnosed, at $170 each that is $340. with taxes and shop charges, that may come out to $445. It all depends on what you signed when you brought the car in. As for it being covered, IDK how ram works with ext warr but I work for Mercedes, when a customer has the Mercedes extended warranty, we run coverage in the back of the shop in a system and it gives us an approval or denial. If it gives an approval, it gives us an authorization number. The denial, however, doesn't, but the system will alert us if it is denied. Ask the dealer how they are checking coverage. Ask them to show you that it isn't covered. Sometimes people in the shop who check coverage don't know what they are doing and may be checking the wrong thing.

Sicairos49

Reaction score
When you brought the car in, the dealer should have given you a copy of the repair order which lists all of your complaints and lists any diagnosis charge, did you sign this? Did you sign authorizing them to charge you $170 for each complaint? If not, then you do NOT have to pay. At the same time, if you did authorize let's say 2 complaints to be diagnosed, at $170 each that is $340. with taxes and shop charges, that may come out to $445. It all depends on what you signed when you brought the car in. As for it being covered, IDK how ram works with ext warr but I work for Mercedes, when a customer has the Mercedes extended warranty, we run coverage in the back of the shop in a system and it gives us an approval or denial. If it gives an approval, it gives us an authorization number. The denial, however, doesn't, but the system will alert us if it is denied. Ask the dealer how they are checking coverage. Ask them to show you that it isn't covered. Sometimes people in the shop who check coverage don't know what they are doing and may be checking the wrong thing.
I did sign a paper showing my complaints and the costs to diagnose the two issues since they had originally told me they cannot declare wether it’s covered or not until they diagnose the issues.

I never did receive a copy as of yet. I’ll bring up how they check for the coverage/request to show me it not being covered.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did sign a paper showing my complaints and the costs to diagnose the two issues since they had originally told me they cannot declare wether it’s covered or not until they diagnose the issues.

I never did receive a copy as of yet. I’ll bring up how they check for the coverage/request to show me it not being covered.
If you signed for the diagnosis then there shouldn’t be an issue with them charging you if it is not covered under the extended warranty. Just make them show you that it is not covered.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Maxcare is exclusionary. Meaning it's covered unless specifically excluded. As said, make them show you the exlcusion.

FWIW, If it was software, there's likely an existing TSB. Any TSB remedy should be covered because most always state "if customer complains" coverage.

On the HD trucks, there's a specific TSB for those issues described. Mine manifested itself in LDW claiming no driver input ("put hands on wheel"). Flash fixed it.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Have them show you the VIP print out of the "not covered" labor ops. Then have them document the tsb on RO. If it's the update for the Drivers Assistance System Module, it would fix all the concerns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online