5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Changing tire size in alfaobd

Grey03svt

Reaction score
Just put some 35 inch Ridge grapplers on the 19 bighorn. Just checking if the only setting I need to change is the tire circumference only.
I've only found info on the 4th gens and seems like there is several other settings that need to be changed like in abs.. Any help appreciated

Mulls

Reaction score
Just put some 35 inch Ridge grapplers on the 19 bighorn. Just checking if the only setting I need to change is the tire circumference only.
I've only found info on the 4th gens and seems like there is several other settings that need to be changed like in abs.. Any help appreciated
Changing my tires today. I'm not even sure how to change the speedometer setting for larger tires... LOL

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It was pretty easy. I actually downloaded a speedometer app on my phone and played with the tire size a bit to get them to match. The 35” setting was a little off. Real easy tool to use though.

Grey03svt

Reaction score
That tool would def make it easy lol. But I already have the MX+ alfaobd and bypass cable. Trying not to throw more money into something that would be one time use.

I think I'll start with just setting the tire circumference and going from there in alfa.

saturn298

Reaction score
That tool would def make it easy lol. But I already have the MX+ alfaobd and bypass cable. Trying not to throw more money into something that would be one time use.

I think I'll start with just setting the tire circumference and going from there in alfa.
here is step by step how to change tire circumference.. Ill say read it a few times first lol and take your time. Also follow key cycles.

Last edited:

Grey03svt

Reaction score
here is step by step how to change tire circumference.. Ill say read it a few times first lol and take your time. Also follow key cycles.

Whoa that's a pretty solid link there! So all i did was just adjust the tire circumference and my speedo adjusted accurately. 35in ridge grapplers happened to be 2690mm. I did no key cycles, no abs, and no clearing faults or any other adjustments in alfa.

Going to redo this today with you're write up. But do you know what all the extra steps are for? (I had been wondering if just changing the tire size only would change shift points too)

Thanks for posting up that link!

saturn298

Reaction score
Whoa that's a pretty solid link there! So all i did was just adjust the tire circumference and my speedo adjusted accurately. 35in ridge grapplers happened to be 2690mm. I did no key cycles, no abs, and no clearing faults or any other adjustments in alfa.

Going to redo this today with you're write up. But do you know what all the extra steps are for? (I had been wondering if just changing the tire size only would change shift points too)

Thanks for posting up that link!
No problem for that link!
The first time I did it the way you mentioned above. It worked fine for about 20-30 min of driving then I had no speedometer, abs, power steering, dash lit like a Christmas tree. the dynamic circumference (ABS) wont match the BCM so that's what the extra steps are for. It doesn't change anything shift point wise.

I did follow the instructions on my DT and previous DS and it worked no issues.

Grey03svt

Reaction score
No problem for that link!
The first time I did it the way you mentioned above. It worked fine for about 20-30 min of driving then I had no speedometer, abs, power steering, dash lit like a Christmas tree. the dynamic circumference (ABS) wont match the BCM so that's what the extra steps are for. It doesn't change anything shift point wise.

I did follow the instructions on my DT and previous DS and it worked no issues.
Oh wow yeah I'm about to do it here in a few thanks!

TAABO4

Reaction score
Need help.... trying to change tire size with alphaobd on 2020 ram 3500 and there is no abs ate/continental on mine and also no clearing rolls information so i have all kinds of bells and whistles going off

obrien

Reaction score
Need help.... trying to change tire size with alphaobd on 2020 ram 3500 and there is no abs ate/continental on mine and also no clearing rolls information so i have all kinds of bells and whistles going off
I know I am super super late but for future users I used -> "ABS Bosh/Continental/Teves/TRW Power Net My2019+ PowerNET" for 2021 RAM 1500. If you have 3500 maybe you could use the one with HD?

Anyway it worked like charm once I realized that circumference is not diameter :D

Sdlopez83

Reaction score
I followed all the steps and my speed is accurate. However, my front and rear parking sensors are broken. Possibly because abs. They are permanently off. When I hit the switch it says unavailable. Help please.

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I followed all the steps and my speed is accurate. However, my front and rear parking sensors are broken. Possibly because abs. They are permanently off. When I hit the switch it says unavailable. Help please.
You exceeded the maximum size for park sense on your truck. It seems to be a little different for each specific truck. When I did mine I found that anything over 2710mm caused an error. I stepped it down a little at a time and ended up around 2670 for my speed to be dead on and park sense has no problems.

Cwrong

Reaction score
You exceeded the maximum size for park sense on your truck. It seems to be a little different for each specific truck. When I did mine I found that anything over 2710mm caused an error. I stepped it down a little at a time and ended up around 2670 for my speed to be dead on and park sense has no problems.
I only changed my tire circumference to 2560 and lost park sensors. I've since changed settings back to factory and sensors are still off line.

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I only changed my tire circumference to 2560 and lost park sensors. I've since changed settings back to factory and sensors are still off line.

If you do the abs initialization and sensor calibration it should restore parksense if the tire size is back to factory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cwrong

Reaction score
If you do the abs initialization and sensor calibration it should restore parksense if the tire size is back to factory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I did the the steps but nothing changed. I'm curious if I'm selecting the correct interface. On both the bcm and abs selection.

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did the the steps but nothing changed. I'm curious if I'm selecting the correct interface. On both the bcm and abs selection.
If you're using the android version, I believe it defaults to the one that it senses for your vehicle, regardless of which you select. If you have the windows version you can connect using a different one in the advanced options.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can anybody confirm that they have successfully calibrated their speedometer on a 2022 Model Year with Parksense using AlfaOBD?

There is something different about 2022’s. I know others have been successful on 19/20/21 model years.

I emailed AlfaOBD and they acknowledged that it is a know issue with no solution yet. That said, I may have just answered my own question! Lol.

However, there are lots of folks on here that have added larger tires to their 22 Laramies and Limiteds, which presumably have Parksense.

Is everyone just simply living with your speedometers being off? Or, are they just living with a bunch of disabled features and a dashboard lit up with warning lights?

I’ve also reached out to Rough Country and one other scanner tool company that I can’t think of… they both said the same thing, “..not compatible with Parksense“.

Does anybody have any insight on this?

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Can anybody confirm that they have successfully calibrated their speedometer on a 2022 Model Year with Parksense using AlfaOBD?

There is something different about 2022’s. I know others have been successful on 19/20/21 model years.

I emailed AlfaOBD and they acknowledged that it is a know issue with no solution yet. That said, I may have just answered my own question! Lol.

However, there are lots of folks on here that have added larger tires to their 22 Laramies and Limiteds, which presumably have Parksense.

Is everyone just simply living with your speedometers being off? Or, are they just living with a bunch of disabled features and a dashboard lit up with warning lights?

I’ve also reached out to Rough Country and one other scanner tool company that I can’t think of… they both said the same thing, “..not compatible with Parksense“.

Does anybody have any insight on this?

Ask @Jimmy07. He is the AlfaOBD authority.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/